WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

2019 Thru Hike

Gluten Free and Loving it

Rate this Entry
I have Celiac Disease. The only way to stay healthy is to eat a strict gluten free diet. This means omitting and foods containing wheat, rye and barley.

This will be a challenge on the trail.

Anyone out there with experience doing a restricted diet? Please share your tricks and tips!

Happy Hiking

Updated 09-02-2011 at 10:23 by weaverbird

Categories
Gluten

Comments

My wife is a Celiac and my son and I have eliminated gluten since she was diagnosed. When I went for a week long section in July, I took gluten free pasta, soup mixes, dried fruit and vegetables, trail mix, museli, and energy bars. It really was surprisingly easy as the manufacturers are doing a much better job of labeling items as gluten free now, you just have to read the labels. When in doubt, call the customer service 800 number often listed on the product itself, or find it on the web. I would think you would have more trouble at the local restaurants along the trail. The big chain pizza places, like California Pizza Kitchen for example, have gluten free selections but the local mom-and-pop pizza places do not. You might end up eating a iceberg lettuce house salad with oil and vinegar (be careful of the dressings made from a mix) at places like that while you watch your fellow hikers pig out.
    Alpineaire has freezed dried gluten free meals.