WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017

Trail Hiking and Blood Sugar readings.

Rate this Entry
We hiked the San Felasco 5.8 mile loop yesterday. My blood sugars we very low the whole time. I kept yawning and felt low energy while on the trail so I knew something was up.

At the start I was 67. Ate a Cliff Bar. At the halfway point I was 75. Ate half a bagel. And at the end I was 56.

This morning I was at 210 and was 271 2.5 hours later.

Trail hiking affects my blood sugar levels way differently than my running does. It took me nine months to get my blood sugars nailed for marathon running so I'm really not looking forward to my learning curve for this "exercise".

Comments

Are you on a pump or still taking injections?
    MDI for now. I used a pump years ago. My doctor wants me on one now but when I will be on the trail I am planning MDI. I sweat a lot and just can't trust my injection sites while on the trail. I know how to keep a site good but it is one less stress that I want to have on the trail. I need to get the cash to get my new pump so that will take a few more months. I'm looking forward to pumping again but I think being on the trail, for me, pumping would not be a better option than MDI.

Which are you?
    I am MDI at the moment. I have the same feeling that you do about the pump on trail. In an everyday situation the pump is great, but I thing you will have better control in MDI. What are you taking right now and what are your dosages?
    Lantus 25u per day, Novalog at 1u per 15g carb scale. A1C ranges between 5.6-5.9. When doing marathons or long runs I cut the Lantus by 50%. I'll take a GU every 3 miles when on a long run. And my blood sugars range between 79-140 during a marathon/long run. I have that dialed in so now to get this hiking dialed in. I'm going to get my first backpack at the end of this month and am looking forward to see what hiking under load does to my blood sugars.

What are your insulin's and dosages? Have you been backpacking long? How are your blood sugars when you are on a hike?
    Updated 04-05-2014 at 04:59 by Trail Otter (a1c info)
    I have been diabetic since I was 14 so 21 years now. I am on humalog on a 1u per 6 carb sliding scale, I take levmir at 35 u night before bed and have sugars running around 140 when I wake up. My a1c has been a little jacked right now, but bringing it back under control.

I have been hiking the smokies consistently for about the past 6 years, I only live about 20 minutes from the park. When I'm out, I survive primarily on trail mix and tuna. I do carry some bars with me just in case some issues arise. I usually start the day with a couple eggs and pancakes and it last me a good bit of time. I have become accustomed to the smokies and know what works for me here, but I learned in a hurry how a different hiking environment can negatively effect your sugars in a hurry. I hiked some desert and mountains in sedona Arizona last year and wow, that terrain and environment was very unforgiving. Hydration was the key for me there, after the first day of feeling pretty worn down and sugars all over the board, I got it dialed back and loved that country.

You seem to have a really good handle on your sugars, and sounds like your physical activity has taught you to be able to make changes on the fly. Very good skill to have lol...

So what kind of pack are you looking at, and what do you think is going to be your first hike?
    I haven't picked a pack yet. I'm guessing a 40-50liter one. I do not know what size yet. or brand or anything really. I want it well under 4 pounds. As far as my first real hike, my wife and I are looking at Paynes Prairie Preserve in Micanopy, FL. Should be good, flat hiking with primitive camping but with easy access to help if things so bad for us. My sister has a 2-man tent we can have so we will pick that up in July (she is in Maine) so we will be camping in the heat of July/August in Florida. Well maybe in November when it cools. We will see.

My blood sugars spike the morning after I hike. I will have to get up at midnight and check my sugars to see if I'm going low and that is causing the spike or if the spike is a delayed reaction to the activity. The spikes are going down each time I do this. I will get it figured out soon.

Thanks for your hiking info. That helps a lot.