WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bettybadass

Western Maryland Rail Trail

Rate this Entry
As part of my new quest to find the EPIC in my life, I have reached out to find new things to do in my area to prepare for my trip on the AT. This past Sunday 6/29/14 I made a trip to Big Pool Maryland to ride on the Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) all the way to Hancock Maryland.

The Western MD Rail Trail is 21 miles (or so) long and is located right along Interstate 70 in Central Maryland. It is a very easy jump over to the C & O Canal which runs parallel across the Potomac River. The trail itself is a paved trail from the old railway system and as such it has only a 1% grade. Beautiful greenery covers a good 95% of the trail and makes it a nice ride for riders of all levels even in the heat of summer. You can check out the trail by visiting http://www.westernmarylandrailtrail.org/WMRT/

My trip Sunday wasn't about speed. It was about getting out there. I had a pleasurable and somewhat tiring experience. One thing I should note is that there is no opportunity for drinking water along the path I took from Big Pool. You will have to exit the trail temporarily and head in to one of the towns that line the path. I made a stop at around mile 8.5 at the Blue Goose Market in Hancock MD. There are goods of many kinds in there as well as food/ drink to refresh the body.

Total miles biked that day 18.36 with an average speed of 8.5-9mph. Time just over 2 hours.

Stay tuned....
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized