WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Sailor Pete

Day -10 Neptune Beach, FL

Rate this Entry
I'm excited about getting started. Weather on the trail looks very good for the next week, with warm days and very mild nights. Would be nice if it will hold for my start on the 17th.

My preps are pretty much completed. Trying to get my load down to around 25lbs without food or water added in. Close, but still need to loose about another pound. My biggest luxury is a Kindle Paperwhite, I enjoy books way too much to leave that behind.

I thought about ditching some of the extra winter stuff, but after reading some recent journals here about snow, I think I'll hold onto the heavy gloves, gaiters, mid-weight long johns, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	33988  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman
    I recommend you keep the warm gear till about mid April. You may not get snow, but cold temps and wind, especially thru the GSMNP and Roan Mountain are likely. Good luck on your hike. I'm planning a thru hike after I retire in November 2022, with a start date in March/April 2023. I'll be 62. I live 12 miles from the trail at Sam's Gap on the NC/TN border and hike it often. Maybe we'll cross paths.
    Thank you for the advice.

I did decide to hold on to most of the cold weather stuff. I have a great pair of silk gloves I'll take, but will leave the old cross country ski gloves at home. If it gets too cold and my silk gloves aren't enough, I'll just put my spare wool socks over the gloves.

Hope to see you along the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funhouse
    Keep us updated Pete. Im in the Mandarin area, and am gathering info like a fiend. I plan to make the thru hike by 2021. Lots to do and learn before then!
    I'll do my best to keep this journal up to date as I make my way north. Stay in touch and maybe we can meet in the fall, I'll be glad to share lessons learned along the way.
    Happy St. Patrick's day from the Springer mountain shelter. 12 person shelter empty when I arrived. Day 1 -7.7 miles about 5 hour. Absolutely beautiful day! Temps in the hi 60's. I hope the ibuprofen kicks in soon.