WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

VSkyOnTheTrail

2 weeks 6 days out

Rate this Entry
I think that I'm more anxious than excited. I'm 1 week past my final day at work and I feel like I've been completely removed from thinking about my next 6 months on the trail. We just went through a move at home. Some unfortunate events happened with the move that set us back financially, slightly.

Long story short, our moving truck was stolen from the gas pump as I aired the tires in my M3. Luckily, the truck was empty of household items but unluckily, my new iPhone 6s Plus was in the cupholder. The perpetrator stole another car after ditching the Uhaul once he found the truck was empty. They caught the guy who had the key to the truck, but he didn't have my iPhone on his person. So, Uhaul got their unharmed truck back but I have to make a $200 insurance claim through Verizon to get my phone replaced. We purchased the insurance but apparently, it only covered damage to the truck. It didn't even cover theft so thankfully they got the truck back because that would have been an entirely different nightmare to deal with.

On top of that, I thought I was going to be able to continue to work with some personal clients at work but HR and the CFO are making that difficult so I'll just take the extra time to work out any kinks and focus all of my attention to the trail.

Which leads back to how anxious I am. I still have a few final things to get on my gearlist. I've really just been waiting for the next REI Garage sale (March 12) to get as much value saving as I can. Money isn't the issue, it's just my OCD on justifying different costs. (A bi-polar brain works endlessly at tackling it's own basic obstacles.)

My left knee is starting to hurt a little more noticeably. I'm sure it has a lot to do with how dehydrated I've been lately. I'm sure it also has to do with how the brain starts works with anticipation.

I also feel some anxiety for slightly "overcommitting" myself to how I'll chronicle my journey through social media. A lot of friends/family/clients want to follow me along and I've basically allowed myself to being put back on the grid with a facebook/youtube/trail journal daily/weekly entry. I think the idea of it is awesome, my own "Walk in the Woods" or more so, "Walden", but the pressure I can sometimes put on myself for creativity seem a little overwhelming, especially when I'm "not ready", 3 weeks out. I originally intended on writing, both for personal decompression and to re explore my creativity. I really enjoy writing. It's really enjoy using my words to describe how I feel, what I see, what I do, what I want, etc. But that doesn't ease anxiety of the pressure I'm beginning to feel. I'll just take it slow, learn my way daily, figure it out as I go.

The Marine Corps prepared me for all obstacles, mentally and physically.

Adapt and overcome.

Comments

I love how you are aware and openly share of your OCD tendencies and anxiety. I hope your journey brings you clarrity and that the anxiety fades away with every step. From a dreamer to thru hike, and a fellow hiker riddled with anxiety, I look forward to following your journey! No pressure though !