WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

sbarn

Getting ready to hike a few huts

Rate this Entry
After too many years to count I am going to try to complete the AT piece by piece. Next portion will be in The Whites from Zealand Falls Hut to Mount Washington.
Input welcome (esp given Inchworm's news) to encourage positive experience....

Trails Plan: I will start at Highland Center and hike to Zealand Fall Hut then stay there for a couple nights as it reads like a great spot to explore. Then onto Mizpah Springs for another night of the Croo's hospitality. Lake's Of the Clouds is my fifth night. From there I need to make it back down to reality.
Couple thoughts
1. I could take the Cog railway down Mount Washington or hike. Trail suggestions anyone?
2. Based on map there seem to be lots of shelters and not really too much distance between most of those nights so...do I need a tent? just in case?
3. The backpack doesn't need to be very big- or does it. I am thinking I only need snacks, lunch, first aid, water filter. Clothing is for weather and not fashion but input welcome (esp from ladies- bras can be heavy relative to other items).
4. Don't laugh- I work a 12 hour shift so my feet take a regular beating. I wear orthotics (so embarrassing) SO I need a spare pare? What do people with older feet do to protect the tender old bones we have?
5. Do i need a stove if all I need to prepare is lunch? would it end up being for the just in case situation?
6. Given that part of the trail how far should I be able to comfortably hike before my adventure? 8 miles? 10 miles?

Lord have mercy I seem unprepared. Or t least full of questions.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized