WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

CamelMan

Today I'm Lazy

Rate this Entry
I'm supposed to be hiking around 25 miles today, but decided to just relax instead. Yesterday I took the Low Gap trail from Cosby and did a clockwise loop including Mt. Sterling, taking the Big Creek, Baxter Creek, Swallow Fork, and Low Gap trails. It's a bit under 28 miles, but if you take the short side trail near the top of Mt. Sterling to get water, it pushes it to a little over 28.

The distance and elevation were just fine, and I shaved over an hour from the first time I did the hike, but only the Baxter Creek trail wasn't a rocky hell, or at least that's how it felt at the time. Maybe I should include some nicer trails in my mix so I don't start hating to hike.

I'm tired, my place is a mess, and I need to go shopping and cook some food. I work full time and put in at least 20 hrs on the trail every week, so I don't have time for other hobbies or self-improvement. I have problems finding time to meditate. For these reasons, I cut my mid-week training schedule down to a certain number of hours instead of miles. Since I'm starting to run, the mileage will increase naturally anyway.

Now I'm going to get high on caffeine and maybe get something done today. Breakfast was a big serving-sized bowl of shredded wheat, raisins, Vega One, and Carbo Gain.

If it had been a 30 miler, I wouldn't feel bad about two days off in a row, but today I do. I'm supposed to be getting better and faster. There is the Erwin to Hot Springs section I need to do soon, as soon as next weekend, and a rugged 50k on September 24th that needs to be done in 10 hours or less. I hope my training program works!

Shaving over an hour from a 28 mile hike is some improvement, even if I didn't make my goal of 3 mph. Since my legs are a little stiff and sore I'll assume they need the rest.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized