WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fireplug

DAY ONE. "ALONE"

Rate this Entry
ALONE....... That's the way I prefer it! I'm not anti-social, however I like my alone time. I get to think about whatever I want without distractions. I don't have people ask stupid questions, when usually the answer is in the question. I think some people just babble to hear themselves.
ALONE at last.... I'm on the trail, hiking from Neels Gap Ga. to Damascus Va. Time means nothing, I have all the time in the world.
Late yesterday afternoon I got dropped off at Neels Gap by a friend of mine. He was coming home from a trip in Florida and I grabbed a ride from him. He lives 13 miles from Neels Gap. That made that part of my trip easy. Now I'm alone hiking the AT. Funny thing, he won the first episode of "ALONE" on the History Channel. So... Now I get to have a month of being ALONE in the somewhat wilderness, or so I though!
3 miles into my trip, I'm soaked in sweat. It's not even hot, but the humidity is extremely high! Coming out into a rock clearing I finally get out of the green tunnel, and my first great view. Stopping for a few minutes, I grab a few photos and videos. I sit and admire the view these mountains provide. Thinking about the trip ahead. I've been itching bad to get back on the trail, and now I'm here.... Alone. Life is great!!!
Setting back out on the trail, I'm back in the tunnel of green. My first night, Low Gap Shelter. I'm heading that way, around 10.5 miles. Walking North I only pass a few hikers heading the other way. I'm thinking my night will be, alone. I'm looking forward to it.
Hog pen Gap is a steep climb with switchbacks. But I navigate them easily, it's the downhills that wreak havoc on my knees. The pain starts. I stop at a water source just to see its not flowing. I decide to continue on, I'm over halfway to Low Gap. The last few miles before Low Gap are fairly easy. Approaching the shelter at Low Gap, I see it.. Another hiker setting up a tent. And a female at that. After getting my tent set up and a change of cloths we sit and talk at the shelter. I'm not "alone" anymore. I found out she's a teacher near Atlanta. She's a older lady and actually pretty cool!! I'll call her "teach" although she never had a real trail name. Then another woman shows up. A ER nurse from SoCal. She's pretty cool also. I gave her the trail name of "timex" as she had a watch and we always asked her the time. I would hike with these two for the next 4 days into NC. They turned out to be great friends and we still communicate. I'm not alone anymore, buts that's fine. They both tell me of a "creepy" guy hanging around and that they are happy I'm there with them. Teach's tent is a few sites away from mine. We are both about 50 yards from the shelter. Timex set her tent up in the shelter. That proved to be a good idea. Around 3 am the rain started. It lasted about a hour, then quit. My first night I'm not alone and it rained. I hope this isn't an indication of what's to come. Either way around it I'm glad I'm hiking with Teach and Timex. I will only see them for 4 days, but I will never forget them. The "trail" does funny things, and memories it provides.
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

DAY TWO. "RIDGE RUNNER LEE?"
    Starting out from Low Gap shelter, Teach is out front, she's like a fighter jet coming off an aircraft carrier. Timex is second, and I (Fireplug) am last. Teach is about 20 yards ahead of us, and we are losing ground. Timex turns around and says " *** she's fast. I'm like holy ****, this lady I just met less than a day ago is hiking my ass off and we aren't even 20 minutes into our hike. The fog is hanging low in the mountains. It reminds me of the cold nights in Florida working a structure fire and the smoke stays low to the ground. It's kind of a eerie feeling. But the three of us press on. The hike is a easy one. THEN. Then the rocks. The fog clears and for some reason I'm out front leading the way. Hiking up another mountain Timex falls. Not just a OPPPPS I tripped "but I busted my ass fall" I look back to see her on the ground over rocks. I'm thinking she's hurt! But being the trooper she is, she gets up and continues on. This part of the trail I have never seen before, it's all rocks. The kind of rocks that move when you step on them. As we continue up the trail we get closer to Blue Mountain Shelter. The sun is out with a stiff breeze and the weather is great. Approaching the shelter we see the spring for water, we decide to get to the shelter and come back for water later. Once at the shelter, Teach and myself take out our "wet" tents from the night before and hang them on the bear cables to dry. I cook a meal and Teach and Timex relax. I visit the rancid smelling privy. ( It's all part of the trail). There is another guy at the shelter with his tent and other stuff hanging to dry on a makeshift close line. (We would see this guy many times on the trail, the last time I will see him is in Franklin at the Budget Inn), his name is Greg. That's all we ever know about him but he's a great guy living a dream of hiking. After about a hour of relaxing we press on. I really wish we would have stayed a few minutes longer, and the reason will soon be clear.
    About 10 minutes into our hike from Blue Mt shelter we encounter a ATC RIDGE RUNNER. I never heard of such a thing, but I want to be one. ( Ridge Runners work for the ATC and hike sections of the trail cleaning and reporting repairs of shelters. Most carry trash out left from hikers). That would be a cool job. Now we are stopped talking to this girl ridge runner. I'm looking at her with this odd feeling that I know her from somewhere, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Either Timex or Teach ( I can't remember which one ) has seen her before and they chat for a minute or two. We part ways and continue on, I still have this feeling I know her! A few minutes after parting ways one of the two says she talked to her on another part of the trail and said that she competed a thru-hike in 2015. DAM, the light bulb came on!!!! Now I know how I know her. Watching YouTube videos of (Dixie) doing a thru-hike in 2015 this ridge runner was in a few of her videos. I thought that was kinda cool. I showed the video to Teach and Timex and they both agreed that, that was the ridge runner. Small world huh!
    Pressing on the rest of the day was fairly easy. We crossed Unicoi Gap and relaxed at the parking area. After a 30 minute break we headed up another mountain. We stopped about 10 minutes into the hike from Unicoi Gap to rest, when a female hiker came up from behind us. She asked if we seen the Bear next to the trail? We all looked puzzled and said no! She said it was right next to the trail and it watched as all three of us walk by. I wanted to go back to see it. As far as I know this would be the first of two possible bear encounters I would have on the trail. Both of which I would never see a bear!
    We were looking for a camping area for the night. Coming across a small camping area we decided to shed our packs, and I'd go up the trail farther to see if we were at the right place. I walked a few hundred yards and found a nice spot with a fire pit. Returning, and telling Teach and Timex to follow me we headed that way. All three of us decided this was a great spot for the night. It was on top of Rocky Mountain. The views a few yards away were awesome. We set up camp and collected fire wood. Ate dinner, got a nice fire going and relaxed. A little after dark we all went to our tents for much needed rest.
    DAY THREE. "TATE AND HIS BROTHERS"
    The mornings come early, I'm up at the first signs of daylight. We pack our gear and head out on the trail again. Just a few yards from the camping area the trail supplies us with awesome morning views. The mountains cast shadows from the sun into the valleys below. I stop for a minute to watch the sun crest the mountain. The sight is beautiful. It kinda reminds me of the movie Forest Gump when he was running across the country. Everything is in slow motion for a few seconds. We proceed down the mountain to FS 79. We stop for a minute and I shed the legs to my pants and eat a Clif Bar. Across the road is the steps heading up to Trey Mountain, we head that way. I'm out front again and the trail is deep in the green forest. Making our way up the mountain we stop where FS 79 crosses the trail again and resupply on water. Timex has a pump filter and a cloth bucket to hold water. She fills it the sets it down and it spills over. A little laugh from Teach and myself. After the water break its back to walking. Making our way up the mountain we come across a few open areas and the wind is blowing hard. We are in the fog now and it's kinda cold. We press on for the top of Trey Mountain. At the top the wind is even worse but the sun is out and the views are as far as the eye can see. We stop and grab a small snack for lunch along with a few other hikers.
    Making our way down the mountain we are now in what I call the "forest of doom". It's another eerie feeling! Going down the hike is easy but I still have my knee pain. Approaching Trey Mountain Shelter we stop and use the Privy and get more water. There is one other couple there and they are packing up camp to head out. Our next stop is Deep Gap Shelter, our camp spot for the night. Between Trey and Deep Gap its fairly easy to navigate. Approaching the sign for the shelter we see its 0.2 off the trail. Not far but when you hike all day even 0.2 seems a long way. We stop at the spring to get water before going to the Shelter. The Gnats ( dog dick gnats, you figure it out)! are out in force. Reaching the shelter we see 2 guys with a dog and 4 others. The two guys are heading SOBO. We all get our spots picked out and set up the tents. Timex has hers in the shelter again. Talking to one of the 4 guys in a group, he tells us that he completed a thru-hike in 2015 and is hiking with his 3 brothers till Wayah Bald. ( I will see these 4 many times on the trail. One of Tate's brothers is all about camp fires. He always goes out looking for wood. He keeps the fire going. We eat dinner and get relax around the fire. When dark hits we head to our tents.
    DAY FOUR. "HIAWASSEE GEORGIA".
    Leaving Deep Gap shelter we resupply at the water supply. We make our way to Dicks Creek Gap. This is where Teach has her car parked. Her plan was to hike to the GA/NC border and then back to her car. ( Things change, I'll talk about that later ). The hike is fairly easy. When we reach her car, we put out gear inside and head to HIAWASSEE for some resupplies and lunch. We hit the Ingles and resupply with some food. I'm still good on food but buy more anyways. I found out I'm eating more than I expected ( I will remember this I the future). Going to a buffet we will feed our faces with all the food we can. It's only been 4 days, but this is a treat! After leaving the buffet we stop by the Top of Georgia Hostel. I but a pair of lower base layers. For some reason I'm cold at night and this will help. My 40 degree sleeping bag isn't cutting the cold! Timex buys some also. We meet another couple there and talk a few minutes. ( I will see these two again at the NOC. How they got ahead of me I'll never know)! We head back to the trail and continue on our way to Plumorchard Shelter. It's the last shelter in Georgia. The state line is only 4 miles past that. Coming into Plumborchard shelter the spring for water is fairly close.
    The three of us set our tents up behind the shelter a few yards. This is the first time that I know of that Timex didn't use the shelter to set her tent up in. We relax and then Tate and his brothers show up. Tate's brother gathers fire wood and I help. A guy and his son show up later. Teach and Timex find out that they are getting picked up at Deep Gap by a lady and driving them back to Dicks Creek where teach has her car parked. They talk a while and decided to hike to Dicks Creek and get a ride from the same lady. Teach calls her and makes arrangements for the ride. Teach and Timex will hike with me to Dicks Creek Gap. ( Their original plan was to hike to the border tomorrow 4 miles then 8 miles back to Deep Gap ). I'm glad they are pushing on with me a little longer. Timex had plans of hiking till July sometime, but she's over hiking these mountains. ( I later find out she wished she went on hiking with me ). This night is a quite night, no wind and very quite. Sometime during the night I heard a high pitched scream a few times. Either someone was murdered ( lol ) or it was a screech owl. I'm going with the owl thing!
    DAY FIVE. "GA/NC"!
    We wake just before the sun peaks the mountains. As soon as there is any hint of light the dam birds come to life and make all kinds of noise. Natures alarm clock. We pack our gear and head for the border.
    GA/NC---- that's what the sign says. We made it to the border!!! We stop for a Kodak moment. Solo photos, and group photos. I've only know these two for a few days but I was totally glad I got to hike with them! We go a little further and stop at a spot to get some water. Filling up and moving on we crest a hill and the trail is now totally different. Open, tall grass, and, just different. Just a little way up trail is a tree. This tree is the most photographed tree on the trail ( from what I've read about it ). I've seen photos and videos of this tree but I didn't think it was here. I thought it was on another part of the trail I wouldn't see this trip. I take photos and we continue on, up the trail, and I mean UP. This is a part of the trail that is UP. It's a stair climb UP! And not just one stair climb up but two, and long climbs. We hit the top and I stop for more videos and photos of the views. Going forward we only pass a few hikers in the other direction. One of these hikers I will see two more times on the trail going SOBO. ( I'll explain his tactics later, I just wish I thought of it first ). We continue on hiking and taking breaks. Around 3 pm we reach Deep Gap where Teach and Timex will head home. We sit and relax until the Guy and his son show up. About a half hour goes by and their ride arrives. It's time to say goodbye to my two hiking buddies, that I'll never forget! We exchange hugs and goodbyes, and just like that, their gone and I'm "alone" again. Don't get me wrong, I would have totally loved hiking all the way with them, and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I'm back to HYOH deal.
    I only have a mile to Standing Indian shelter. I start out. I pass a few more hikers heading the other way and when I reach the shelter it's about 4 pm and I'm the only one here. I decide to sleep in the shelter tonight, as I thinks it's going to rain. A few more hikers show up and the decide to set up camp about 50 yards away. I spend the night alone in the shelter, my only company is the mice. I can hear them running around. This is the quietest night I've had yet. So quite I can't sleep, so I turn on the "rain" app on my Iphone and listen to rain. Soon I'm sound asleep.
    DAY SIX. "ALBERT MOUNTAIN 16.2 MILES"
    I'm on the trail, and It's a fairly easy climb. It's more like a gravel road going up Standing Indian Mountain. Lots of long easy switchback and doesn't feel like the trail! I keep an eye out for the white blazes. I don't see any! How the hell did this happen? How did I get off the trail and on a road? I continue on, "BINGO" white blaze. I'm still on the trail. I reach the top of Standing Indian Mountain. Passing the camping area I hear people talking over the crest of the hill. ( I later find out its Tate and his brothers ). My goal today is Long Branch Shelter 16.2 miles total. And I have to go over Albert Mountain. It's a steep "very steep" climb. Once I get to the top of Standing Indian Mountain it's the easiest part of my journey yet. I'm running a ridge. I can make great time at this pace. It's all flat!
    I come across some great views on little side trails and I stop for more videos and photos. Most of this part of the trail is covered with green. I can only see a few yards from side to side. Pushing on I come into Carter Shelter. This place is huge. The shelter isn't that big the there are plenty of camping areas. I stop for lunch and eat. I never find the spring or privy, either of which I need.
    ( I need to remember this shelter for my 2017 Thru-Hike it's a nice place ).
    Underwear suck!!!!! I know you don't want to hear this, but this is "MY STORY" and I'm telling it! THEY SUCK! I'm constantly digging them out of my crotch. Yeah it's gross but it's the trail. Go look at a privy, that gross! Sooo back to my boxers. They keep riding up. Time to ditch them! So filling up with water at a stream off they come! I'm commando now! That would be the last time I wear them on the trail. Continuing on I hit Betty Creek Gap. Why they call it "creek" I don't know, I never seen a creek. But it is a cool place snuggled down in a valley. I drop my pack and eat a clif bar. I see a few squirrels fight in the trees. That's the only noise I hear and it's great to be in the wilderness. Checking my feet, I left them air out for a few minutes. Heading back out I catch up to two other hikers. We chat for a few minutes and then I press on hoping to make it to the shelter before it gets dark. A few more miles up the trail, I see him! He's coming at me, I step aside and he stops to talk for a minute. It's the guy I have seen two other times on the trail going the other directions. So I ask how we keep passing. Here's what he's doing, kinda smart- like I said I wish I thought of it first. He has two cars. He parks one at a road where the trail crosses. He hikes SOBO a few days to his other car. Drives it north past his other car a few days hike and parks it. Hikes SOBO to his other car and drives it north a few days hikes past the other car. He's playing hop-scotch with his cars! So he's actually going north but hiking SOBO. GENIUS!
    IM A MOUNTAIN CLIMBER!!!!! Albert Mountain is like rock climbing. It's a very steep rock grade climb. Albert Mountain goes up almost 500 feet in less than half a mile, but the view from the tower is great. It is totally worth the climb. At the top of the tower I get a few videos and photos. Heading down I see a husband, wife and their daughter, she's maybe 10 or so. I push on to Long Branch Shelter a few miles away.
    16.2 miles. WooHoo. Yeah I know you thru-hikers are saying "big deal"! But for me it was a good day. I'm there with a few others heading the other way. Then the family with the little girl shows up. They just stopped for a break. I pull out my gummie worms and snack on a few. I ask the little girls mom if her daughter can have some and she says sure. I call her over and hold my bag down and say " take all you want". She grabs a handful, and starts to eat them. Her mom and I laugh a little. Shortly after Tate and his brothers show up. The fire is already going but Tate's brother heads off for more wood. I set my sleeping gear up in the loft for the night. I cook dinner and start to chill with Tate and his brothers. There is another girl there from Canada ( Jenn ) and she gets in a game of cards called BS. Tate's brothers always win. I'm still hungry so I cook another meal to eat. Jenn is now trying to eat some type of knorrs side meal and I can tell she's not liking it. I offer her one of my meals and she cooks it up and says she likes it. Jenn says she's getting off the trail in Franklin. As night falls I hit the sac and go to bed. This will be my longest day hiked on the trail.
    DAY SEVEN. "FRANKLIN N.C. NERO/ZERO"!
    07:15. Yeah that's military time! I'm a retired firefighter and we used the 24 hour method. I'm back on the trail and I'm talking into my GoPro Camera videoing. I'm telling the Camera ( and anyone else who wants to watch the videos of this hike on YouTube ) about spider webs. One lesson I've learned on the trail, always let someone go first. Spiders build their webs from 5' to 5' 10" off the ground. That's face level for me! ( Oh and by the way my YouTube channel with all these AT hikes and others are at www.youtube.com/Kissimmeesux ). I'm heading into Franklin NC to get a resupply box shipped to me at the Outdoor 76 and a night in town. I think I have about 7 miles to go to get to Hwy 64 and the AT, which is about 15 miles West of Franklin. Nearing the highway Tate and his brothers catch up to me and we hike till the highway. Two of his brother are always at each others throats. It's kinda fun To watch them! Once we reach the highway Tate says it's going to be hard to get a ride with 5 of us together. I kinda got the feeling that he didn't want me around! So I walked a little further up the highway to get away. Turning around I was surprised to see him with me. Now Im Confused??? Within minutes a car pulls up and dropped off two hikers, the driver said she could take three and Tate's brothers got a ride. Within 10 minutes Tate and I were in a car heading to Franklin. The driver dropped us off at the Budget Inn where I got a room for the night. I told Tate to call his brothers and all of you could grab a shower before heading back out. ( there were going back out on the trail today ). By noon Tate and his brothers had showers and we're heading back to the trail.
    ( I would see these Brothers once more on the trail ).
    By mid afternoon I had my shower and headed to the Outdoor 76 to get my resupply box I had shipped to me. The Outdoor 76 is an awesome place and I would recommend it to any hiker. Dropping my resupply box off at the room I headed to a sports pub to get the biggest burger I could. " I tried, but I couldn't eat it all " but MAN was it good. Sitting in the room looking at the AWOL guide, I noticed the nearest place to by alcohol was 2 miles away! Only one place in this town to buy Capt-N-Morgan's is 2 miles away. ***???? So off I go. Walking 4 miles for a drink. Returning to my room I had a drink, well maybe 3.
    It's tomorrow! All I remember is a few drinks! Oh well. I'm awake and I hungry. ( oh yeah, I did take a shower after Tate and his brothers left yesterday ). Im headed to a mom and pop restaurant I seen while going to get my Booze yesterday. So now I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee waiting on my western omelet. The place is only about a 3 minute walk from my room. After eating I decided I need to wash my cloths so off to the hotel laundry. Once they were dry I walked back to the Outdoor 76 and got some new shoes. The rest of the day was relaxing and making plans for my ride to the trail tomorrow morning. (BTW if you need a ride to or from the trail in Franklin use Betty, sweet ole lady tips only ).
    It's around 19:30 and I walk out of my room, only to see Greg standing in front of the room next to me. I have seen him a few times on the trail, and now he's in the room next to me. He's doing his laundry and taking a day or two in Franklin. We sit and talk about the trail. He tells me he got picked up this afternoon when a girl Named Jenn was being dropped off. He told me that she was getting off the trail in Franklin but decided to go on further. We sit and talk for a hour or so and then I told him I'll see him on the trail, I head to my room to get some sleep. ( That was the last time I would ever see Greg ).
    So 07:00 Am I'm off!!!!!
    DAY NINE. " BABY BIRDS AND TIMBER RATTLERS"!
    To put it simply!!!! ITS RAINING!! I just got dropped of at Winding Stair gap west for Franklin N.C. and it's raining. It's one of those morning that you don't want to even get out of bed, but here I am, on the trail, I never would have found. It's a small hole in the bushes near the guard rail. More like a rabbit trail. I'm glad Betty pointed it out to me. The rain is not a heavy rain but still I need my rain jacket.
    Leaving Hwy 64 I head up the trail. In just a short distance I come across a small waterfall. I grab a few pictures and videos. Betty tells me of the Bears in the area. She told me I should be able to smell them before I see them! I kinda thought it was the other way around. Either way I'm keeping my eyes open for them. The hiking is going easy and the day and a half off was a good idea. My knee pain that I haven't talked about much is better. ( My left knee started hurting on day one, and never got better until about 3 weeks after getting off the trail ). Shortly after I started out today the rain stops. I'm still wearing my rain jacket ( frog toggs ) as the wind is quite strong and chilly. About 3 miles into my hike I almost step on it! I'm glad I didn't. I stop to take a little video of it. I'm not sure what kind it was as it was too small to identify. But some type of bird was sitting on a root crossing the trail. It was just starting to get feathers and it was wet. I'm guessing he fell out of his nest during the storm the night before. I took a short video of it and left it alone hoping the mother would come and get him.
    It's clearing up and I ditched the frog toggs top. The rain stopped. Continuing on I meet a Family getting water at a spring. Five of them and a dog. They tell me they are hiking for a week and going the same way I am. I must hike faster than them as I never see them again, but I know they are behind me.
    The sun is out now and I'm hiking on the side of a mountain with very little trees. This is the first time I get full sun light for a extended distance. That only last for about a mile. Now I'm back in the tunnel. Making my way further down the trail I get ready to round a tree next to the trail and I stop dead in my tracks. There it is. Right in the middle of the trail and not moving. Neither am I! I get my GoPro out and start to video. It's a good thing I look down when I'm hiking or it would have been the end of my hike. A four foot Timber Rattle Snake, dead in the middle of the trail. I shoot a few minutes of video and then I remember the family behind me. I find a long stick and fling it off the trail. Needless to say I think it was pissed. Either way it's gone.
    Making my way to Wayah Bald Stone Tower I see Tate walking towards me on the trail. We chat for a few and I told him I have a pair of his socks he left in my room at Franklin. He's a happy camper now! His feet got cold last night in the rain storm. I'm relaxing now with him and his brothers at the monument. It's turned out to be a beautiful day. The sun is out and you can see miles from the monument. I grab a snack for lunch and we say our goodbyes. ( This is the last time I see them on the trail ). Continuing on I pass Wayah Shelter. I stop in to drop my pack and use the Privy. I thought about staying here for the night but the day is still early. I'll press on to Cold Spring Shelter.
    On my way to the shelter I stop at a camping area in a gap. I'm stilling on a log eating a clif bar. Then I hear a noise in the bushes a few yards away. I look up trying to see what it is. I can hear it walking thru the bushes, it's loud and close. Not sure what it is I get my bear spray out and the GoPro going. I sit for about 5 minutes listening to the thing crash thru the bushes and it's getting farther away. I'm only guessing it was a bear. I never see what it was.
    Getting into Cold Spring shelter, I have to stay here. To far to the next and too late into the day. I'm not ready for night hiking yet! This shelter is right on the trail. And I mean RIGHT on the trail. I heard it's the oldest on the trail but I I truly don't know. The spring is 30 feet in front of the shelter and the fire pit between the spring and the shelter. I get my sleeping gear out and start to collect fire wood.
    A little while later a guy and a girl show up. Then a few minutes later another woman. They start to read the shelter log. I already made my notes in the log. Skool ( trail name ) asks if I'm FIREPLUG? Yup that's me. She says I'm Skool and that's Shelb! I remember these two from WHITEBLAZE.NET. The three of us have exchanged messages on the site about hiking the same time and that we might see each other. The other guy ( I think ) was pink blazing Skool. All four of us sleep in the shelter. It's a 6 person shelter but it's a small 6 person shelter it was cramp in there with 4. The fire is going and dinner is done. I'm in bed just before dark and I don't remember waking till morning.
    DAY TEN. "NOC NERO"
    Its morning and the three others are already packing up to head out to the NOC. They leave about 20 minutes ahead of me. After about a hour I catch up to them and I follow behind them about 30 yards. We come to a place called "The Jumpoff". The views are stunning! From this point on to the NOC is all downhill. The knee pain returns so I slow it down a bit. I catch back up to the three at Rufus Morgan Shelter about the same time they are heading back out. The four of us hike into the NOC. Walking into the general store I see Jenn at the counter. We talk a few minutes and I tell her I heard you were getting off the trail. She decided to go to the NOC then hike back to Franklin. I decide to get a bed in one of the bunk houses. I go there drop my gear and head out to grab a late lunch. Eating lunch Shelb, Skool, and the pink blazer are there! We all eat together. Then another couple shows up. They sit next to us and we all chat a few minutes. The female asks how my hike has been since HIAWASSEE! Then it clicks, I remember seeing them at the Top of Gerorgia Hostel. I tell her it's going good but my knee is still sore. They are staying the night also. I will see them later that night, and never again. Skool has arranged a shuttle off the trail. After eating she heads to her shuttle. Shelb and Pink blazer are heading back out on the trail. That's the last I see of them. I will see Jenn only one more time late that afternoon.
    I'm at the river now watching the kayakers and soaking my feet in the cold water of the river. Around dark I head to my bunk and eat a few snacks. Hiker midnight and I'm in bed!
    DAY ELEVEN. " TREKKING POLE IN THE TEMPLE"!
    I awake to the guy in the next room making noise! There are 8 bunks on my side of the Bunkhouse, 8 on the other side and 4 in a room in the middle. He's in that room making noise. I look out the window to see the day light just starting to break. I get up and head to the bathroom down the hill. I do my morning duties and go collect me hiking gear. The NOC bunk houses are about 600 yards from the river. Heading that way I stop at the restaurant to get a big breakfast. I fill up my belly and head back out on the trail. This morning I'm going from 1732 feet up to 4710 in less than six miles.
    Ten minutes into my hike I see a huge rock ledge hanging over the trail, it looks like something out of a movie. I stop grab a few videos and photos. Making my way up the trail I'm startled when I see a snake on the trail. It didn't move till I was a few feet away. This time I'm not worried, I see its a harmless garter snake. Again I get the GoPro out and take a short video, he slithers off the trail.
    The trail is all up hill and it's a hot sunny day ( this would be my hottest day on the trail ). Taking several water breaks and refilling at every point I can, I'm soaked in sweat, even my hiking shorts are soaked! Further up the trail I see a monument on the side of the trail. The Wade Sutton Memorial. I have seen photos and videos of this but never knew it's purpose. ( when returning home I researched it. Wade Sutton was a forest Ranger, and died in a forest fire a few yards from there ). Everyone leaves a little something on the memorial. I decide to leave a piece of bubblegum.
    Sassafras Shelter is my next stop. I arrive around 14:00 and decide to stay the rest of the day until morning. A few hours it arrives!
    Something I didn't not want to encounter on my trip. A solo NOBO hiker. She looks miserable, walking like she has hiked 5000 miles. Her first words are " is there someplace I can hang my hammock". ( I'll revert back to one of my first sentences on day one, people ask dumb questions when the answer is usually in the question! ). I look around and say over there is a nice place, but in the back of my head I'm saying " pick two trees, there's only about 300 to pick from! She sets up her hammock and I can hear her complaining! I'm in the shelter getting ready to eat and she looks at my pack, saying " it's kinda small". Yeah but I'm a ultra lightweight hiker! I tell her I'm around 14 lbs BPW! She tells me she's around 40lbs BPW. Again in the back of my head "holy ****"! She then proceeds to pull out two cans of Campbell's soup and open them. No wonder her pack weighs so much. She tells me she's heading to Harper's Ferry! Thinking to myself "not with that weight"! Either way around it she's a constant complainer. I'm sure I'll see her a lot on the trail.
    This shelter someone left a saw, so I'm out looking for dead wood for a fire. It's doesn't take long to gather some dry wood and birch bark. While stacking wood another couple arrives at the shelter. They are a older couple and I never ask which way they are heading. Around 5 pm the rain starts, it only last an hour or so but now the fire wood it wet. I still give it a go and in no time I have a fire going. Im surprised I got a fire going with wet wood. Birch bark is a great fire starter! I'm the only one at the fire and I can still hear MRS. Complaint, complaining! I just want to jam my trekking pole into her temple! She now has her hammock hanging inside the shelter. Not off to one side but right in the middle of the shelter! At almost dark I grab a snack then crawl into my sleeping bag. MRS complainer is in her hammock and the rest of us are in our sleeping bags. Within a minute the lady from the couple lets out a blood curling scream, the kind that can shatter glass! She said a mouse ran across her hand. After getting my heart beating again I'm giggling in my sleeping bag.
    When dark hits we are all asleep!
    DAY TWELVE. " TRAIL MAGIC. NOT!"
    I'm up early and I pack up quick. I want out of this shelter with the complainer. I'm glad that's the time I see her. ( However I will see her gear at the Fontana Hilton! ). Making my way up the trail I pass a few hikers heading the other way. We make small talk for a minute or so then I'm back to being alone! Hiking up a little over a mile I come across Cheoah Bald. This will be the my last great view on the trail. Last night it rained agian. And now I'm above the fog layer looking at the mountains in the distance. It's a great view. Again I get some videos and photos. Most of my day hiking is uneventful. I only pass one more couple heading the other way.
    The last few days I been doing a lot of thinking. I'm thinking that Fontana Dam will be my ending point. My reason is that the whole purpose of this trip was to be an extended shake down hike for next years Thru-Hike. I figured out that I can do a Thru-Hike, and if I continue to Damascus Va, ( my original plan ) I would be seeing 465 plus miles of the trail all over again. Sometime I may regret later, but I sure won't regret it next year.
    Stecoah Gap is where the highway crosses the AT! There is a parking area there and picnic tables. And there it is! A cooler! Written on top "TRAIL MAGIC". My first trail magic on the trail. I open it to see its empty! TRAIL MAGIC NOT! Picked clean. I make my decision to end my hike at Fontana Dam. I send a text message to my dad and in two days I'll be picked up at the dam. My journey is about to end. Sitting at the table a guy in a truck shows up. We chat a few and he refilled the cooler with water and hands me a few Slim Jims. I thank him and he heads out. Crossing the highway I'm now climbing up yet another mountain. The rain starts. It only last a few minutes as I make my way to Cable Gap shelter. My hike is easy going and there isn't much to see.
    Approaching the shelter I see two other hikers here. This shelter reminds me of Cold Spring Shelter. 6 man shelter and the floor is not level. Not even close to being level. I set my sleeping gear up on one side and get ready to change my cloths for the night. ( I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not but I have one pair of cloths for hiking and one for camp or towns. I never wear my camp cloths hiking). I cook my meal and make small talk with the two guys in the shelter. They are both asleep before dark. I keep my eyes on the trail expecting the complainer to show up anytime soon. She never does. Tonight is the darkest night on the trail, no moon and pitch black. The tree canopy is so thick you can't even see the stars.
    I don't remember falling asleep!
    DAY THIRTEEN. "FINISHED"!
    Waking to noise, I see these two guys are up before daylight. I lay in my sleeping bag waiting for them to get their stuff packed. Once they are packed and on the trail I'm up getting my stuff packed. I go get my bear bag and I eat a small breakfast, change cloths, check to make sure I didn't leave anything, and set out on my final day. Fontana Dam is only 5 plus miles away. About half way to the Dam I pass the two guys sitting on a log next to the trail. I pass with just a "hi have a good hike" and continue on. I see no one else on the trail.
    Arriving at the Fontana Dam you get to Marina bath house first. I drop my pack and use a "REAL TOILET". Out front there is a lady and her daughter. They ask me where I'm hiking to. I tell them I'm stopping here. They ask where I started and I told them Neels Gap! "Wheres that?" "It's in Georgia. I hiked about 135 miles". I told them I've been on the trail 12 days! After explaining to them about my hike, they both had different opinions. One was " not me, not ever" the other was something like " not in a million years!! I laughed a little. They both headed to their car.
    On the bath house is a phone you dial "zero" for a shuttle. Zero got me no answer. So now I'm hiking two more miles to the Fontana Resort Lodge. Out of all the cars that passed not one stopped to give me a hitch. Either way " yellow blazing sux"! At the resort I'm getting a room and a resupply box sent to me. Once inside the lodge I get a room and my package! First order of business "a shower"! The lady at the front desk made a comment about my "oder"! She said she's used to it, but when you can smell your own stink "you know you stink"! After the shower I'm heading to the restaurant for a burger, and the biggest they got! Then laundry. With all that done I'm relaxing in my room on a "real" bed. Around 23:00 my sister and mom arrive. They bring me Capt-n-Morgan's and I make a drink. The only other thing I want to do on the hike is see the Fontana Hilton, that's tomorrow.
    It's tomorrow! We are headed to the Dam and the Hilton! We check out the dam and then head to the Hilton. That's when I see it! MRS complainers hammock hanging in the trees! Wonder who she asked about a place to hang her hammock!! Either way I'm not sticking around to see if she shows up. I grab a few pictures and head back to the car.
    A few minutes later, we are heading to my Parents house. My hiking is on the AT is done till next March! I had one of the best times in my life, met great people, and experienced challenges I will never forget. All I can say at this point is "March can't get here soon enough".

All-in-All. I've hiked from Springer Mt Ga to Neels Gap Ga ( April 1st to the 4th 2016, 31.7 miles ). Neels Gap Ga to Fontana Dam NC. ( June 16th to the 27th 2016, 133.0 miles ). My total hike on the AT is 164.7 miles. Next year it should be 2189.2 miles!!!