WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

• Random Images

• The Solemates

by Published on 04-02-2012 23:39
    1. Categories:
    2. Advice

BE FOREWARNED: THIS IS A LONG POST!

Back before our thru-hike, I compiled this for the many people in my life who had no clue what we were about to undertake. So what follows is a VERY basic overview of some general trail advice that someone new to hiking could perhaps benefit from. I was doing some computer clean-up last night and found it. I post it here as a general guideline for people who come to whiteblaze to obtain information on their newfound hobby of backpacking, even though many will not agree with some of the ideas (ie, please withhold criticism). I simply cut and pasted it from a word document, so the format may be a little weird, but I tried to clean it up as much as possible. The original document had more information and also many tables, pictures, figures, and appendices, which I have not included. Its simply stripped down to text (minus a few other sections) for the most part. My hope is that the new hiker may perhaps find something beneficial in the process. Happy hiking!__________________________________________________ _________
  • Newest Images

• Currently Active UsersCurrently Active Users

There are currently 980 users online. 3 members and 977 guests

Most users ever online was 12,213, 01-10-2024 at 01:07.

1. mark schofield,
    2. Sunheart67

User Name:

Password:
    Remember Me?
  • Make a yearly donation.

Donate and support the web site and our writers

• Have you thru hiked or section hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail? If you have, please add yourself to our 2,000 miler listing/database.

• Recent Threads

Gambit McCrae

When Does The New Wear Off And The Struggle Kick In?

Thread Starter: Gambit McCrae

I am sure some will not relate, but for others it may hit home...I will use myself as an example.
    For many trips, I would say the majority of them...Day

Last Post By: Crossbar Yesterday, 22:01 Go to last post
    Traveler

Hiking performance data

Thread Starter: Traveler

For a number of years I've used a Fitbit to track fundamental data to keep an eye on physical performance while hiking. The Fitbit has gone to the great

Last Post By: Slugg Yesterday, 19:46 Go to last post
    Slugg

3 Days on the AT - Virginia in February

Thread Starter: Slugg

Couple months late but what the heck, may as well post a little recap from my 3 day AT section hike this past February in Virginia. This was my most

Last Post By: Slugg Yesterday, 18:45 Go to last post
    MapleHiker

Is WhiteBlaze dying?

Thread Starter: MapleHiker

This was my first stop as an aspiring AT Thru Hiker on recommendation from another hiker I met on trail. Since then, it seems this forum has become less

Last Post By: HankIV Yesterday, 18:06 Go to last post
    Kia Kaha

Western Mountaineering Caribou for sale

Thread Starter: Kia Kaha

I have a regular (6ft) right hand zip Western Mountaineering Caribou for sale. Includes stuff sack and storage sack, excellent condition, I use a hammock

Last Post By: Kia Kaha Yesterday, 14:23 Go to last post
    strawbale

Mid-PA weekend loop?

Thread Starter: strawbale

I'll be taking some first-time backpackers on a two-night weekend hike in a few weeks. A loop that includes the AT would be ideal, since the one young

Last Post By: besiege Yesterday, 01:06 Go to last post