WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

• Random Images

• Advice

Published on 09-15-2017 21:21
    1. Categories:
    2. News,
    3. Advice

I just received an email from a family that just got hit with a scam that I wanted to make everyone aware of. Here is a portion of the email.

I am the father of a thru hiker that just completed the AT this month. Our family just got hit by a scam we believe involves AT hikers that anyone on the trail or planning to be on the trail should be aware of. There is a scam ring on social media watching those who complete the trail, and, if they can determine who their elderly relatives are (also through social media), they attempt to pull off the 'Grandma Scam'. They contact the grandparents posing as the hiker saying they've been in an accident, need money, not to tell their parents - and elderly grandparents fall for it, and send money to the scammers using numbers from untraceable Target or similar gift or bank cards - typically around $2,000-$4,000 worth. It is a masterful scam- they know their families and know their grand kid just completed the trail and are on the way back home etc. The scammers string of phone numbers are landlines from NY State. We think all hikers (current and future) should alert their families of this scam.
    Published on 04-04-2017 20:22
    1. Categories:
    2. Safety,
    3. Advice

2017 PCT Backpacker Alert for 01 April 2017
    PCT High Sierra Spring Threats on Full Display
    Read the most recent 2017 PCT Backpacker Alerts Page by Alex Wierbinki
    http://tahoetowhitney.org/content/backpacker-alert-april-1-2017
    Published on 03-12-2017 06:14
    1. Categories:
    2. Children,
    3. Advice
    Article Preview

How to Get Kids Involved in Your Hiking Adventures

You’ve got kids. Now what? Does that mean you have to put away your tent and pack your trekking poles for the next 18 years? Luckily, the answer is no. You will, however, have to change your goals a bit. Instead of trying to trek the entire Appalachian Trail in one go, you might need to break it up into more ...
    Published on 10-17-2016 16:15
    1. Categories:
    2. Clothing,
    3. Reviews,
    4. Gear,
    5. Advice

Ultra light 101: It’s All In Your Head
    By: Maggie Wallace

My trail crew had hauled in 70-pound packs to this desert 200 miles from the Northern terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. It was on this trip, while we worked in a particularly arid day, that I had my first experience with an ultra light hiker. We had noticed a figure moving towards us through the heat. He was wearing tennis shoes and clothing that hung in tatters, and his pack appeared to be a child’s school bag, held together with duct tape. His eyes were wild as he asked us where the next spring was so he could fill the single water bottle he carried. Explaining that he planned to reach Canada ...
    1. Categories:
    2. Advice

On a long distance hike we all learn tricks we never read about in books. Like: Hanging washed socks on my pack with a safety pin, then when they are still a little damp tossing them in my sleeping bag so my body heat dries them completely. On a wet day an excellent fire starter is alcohol hand sanitizer but watch the blue flame. Filtering water through a bandana to remove the floaties before treating it were three tricks I learned the first week out. We know there are a million more tricks backpackers use to make their hike more pleasant.
    by Published on 04-02-2012 23:39
    1. Categories:
    2. Advice

BE FOREWARNED: THIS IS A LONG POST!

Back before our thru-hike, I compiled this for the many people in my life who had no clue what we were about to undertake. So what follows is a VERY basic overview of some general trail advice that someone new to hiking could perhaps benefit from. I was doing some computer clean-up last night and found it. I post it here as a general guideline for people who come to whiteblaze to obtain information on their newfound hobby of backpacking, even though many will not agree with some of the ideas (ie, please withhold criticism). I simply cut and pasted it from a word document, so the format may be a little weird, but I tried to clean it up as much as possible. The original document had more information and also many tables, pictures, figures, and appendices, which I have not included. Its simply stripped down to text (minus a few other sections) for the most part. My hope is that the new hiker may perhaps find something beneficial in the process. Happy hiking!__________________________________________________ _________
    Published on 11-13-2011 18:17
    1. Categories:
    2. Resupply,
    3. Advice

Packing and sending the perfect Maildrop along the Appalachian Trail
    This article was written by Karen Sousa...
    by Published on 11-13-2011 17:01
    1. Categories:
    2. Resupply,
    3. Advice

Canister Stove/Fuel FAQ
    Edited by Yellow Jacket (tlbj6142)
    Q: Can I mail canisters?

Yes, according to USPS guidelines, you can ship a 1L (or smaller) canister via ground delivery if the package is marked with an “ORM-D” and/or "Surface Delivery Only" sticker. This is the same sticker that must be placed on a package if it contains alcohol hand sanitizer (Purell).<o></o>
  • Newest Images

• Currently Active UsersCurrently Active Users

There are currently 609 users online. 6 members and 603 guests

Most users ever online was 12,213, 01-10-2024 at 01:07.

1. Harald Hope,
    2. janessjnr238,
    3. LazyLightning,
    4. lindrome,
    5. pryceaaron,
    6. smoothie25

User Name:

Password:
    Remember Me?
  • Make a yearly donation.

Donate and support the web site and our writers

• Have you thru hiked or section hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail? If you have, please add yourself to our 2,000 miler listing/database.

• Recent Threads

ETtrailrunner

View Total Eclipse from the A.T.?

Thread Starter: ETtrailrunner

Hey guys;
    Every hotel/motel/hostel anywhere close to the path of totality on April 8th is either booked or price-gouged.
    I haven't been

Last Post By: Odd Man Out Today, 21:56 Go to last post
    peakbagger

Got my Wonderland Trail lottery slot

Thread Starter: peakbagger

I will be getting access to the reservation site next week. Setting up lots of itinerary's to make sure I get a trip set up, anyone have any "gotta

Last Post By: Miner Today, 19:13 Go to last post
    spfleisig

Vermont in April

Thread Starter: spfleisig

For those in the know, is there snow typically in VT between Killington and NH in April? Yes I'm aware of Vermud.
    Thanks

Last Post By: ltdan Today, 16:03 Go to last post
    petedelisio

Is Walmart going to squash Swayer water filters???

Thread Starter: petedelisio

3rd lunch chat.
    Failed to mention, it looks like Wally removed Sawyer filters from their shelves. So if you are at one check the clearance isle.

Last Post By: petedelisio Yesterday, 18:55 Go to last post
    Red Wolf

A.T. Museum ~ Update

Thread Starter: Red Wolf

APPALACHIAN TRAIL MUSEUM
    The Old Mill / Pine Grove State Park, PA

Here are some excerpts from recent letters regarding the A T Museum

Last Post By: Red Wolf 03-16-2024, 11:04 Go to last post
    Tabasco

Kakwa 40L new

Thread Starter: Tabasco

Not using this this year, maybe someone else can.

Brand new Durston Kakwa40 size L

$200 plus shipping

Last Post By: Tabasco 03-16-2024, 10:24 Go to last post