Default WTB: 2-Person Tent for $150 or under

Looking for a 2-person tent in the $150 ballpark. Must haves:

-Side door(s), preferably two
    -Relatively lightweight

What do you have?!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi,
    I have seen a few of these but I have not used one.
    http://eureka-tent.shptron.com/p/mid..._midori-2?pp=8

I have a appytrails "front door" Mark III tent. It can sleep three and it weighs 1 lb. 9 oz. if you use the poles that are included. I very much like the space it provides, ease and quick set up.
    http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html

Both are under $150.00
    Last edited by Ken.davidson; 12-03-2013 at 15:34.
    Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're not in a hurry, just keep an eye out for Christmas sales, after Christmas sales, clearance, and close-out sales (like REI-Outlet and Campmor's 'Hot Deals'), especially combined with % off sales (like REI's recent '30% off one item from REI-Outlet' they had on Black Friday).

With patience, you should be able to score a pack-back quality tent for $150 or less.

In the last two years, I've picked up a Big Agness Lynx Pass 2p tent for $150, and a Kelty Gunnison 3p tent for $130.

Few locations to watch:
    www.rei.com
    www.campmor.com
    www.backcountry.com

Even right now I can find several tents that would fill the bill at just over $150... and its not even clearance season.

Images

Marmot Aspen at Dick's, we have one, and it's a great tent. $130 new

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...-_-SKU-7240016

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll keep an eye out for those sales. I've been eyeing up the Golite Wolf Creek 2 if all else fails.

Black Diamond Beta Lite tarp, 2-person, trail weight 1 lb - 8 oz. I'm asking $90 plus shipping. Like new condition, already seam sealed, with all stakes and stuff sack.

The old LunarDuo. I think new it's $150

As previously mentioned the SMD LunarDuo is a good tent. On sale right now for $128.
    If you need / want a more traditional design, the GoLite Wolf Creek UL2 looks to be on clearance for $149.99.
    Basically, you should be able to find a reasonable tent in this price range.

Images

REI Passage 2 is $159 at 4 lbs. 14 ounces. Become a store member and receive a 10% discount at the counter.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

are you sure about the SMD Lunar Duo being $128. It's 248 on their website

Lunar Duo Outfitter is on sale for $128. The Lunar Duo Explorer is on sale for $248. Great price for either one. I'm fond of the SMD Haven tarp with Haven Nettent. Also on sale right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Black Diamond Beta Lite tarp, 2-person, trail weight 1 lb - 8 oz. I'm asking $90 plus shipping. Like new condition, already seam sealed, with all stakes and stuff sack.
    Thanks, but this is primarily going to be used with my wife, and she is not a tarp fan!

The SMD Lunar Outfitter looks awesome! I can't believe it's that cheap. Has anyone used this tent?

Journal Entries

Default 2 person tent

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    Looking for a 2-person tent in the $150 ballpark. Must haves:

-Side door(s), preferably two
    -Relatively lightweight

What do you have?!
    REI has the Mountainsmith Celestial. 5 lbs., in the outlet center for $135. Very easy to set up.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    REI Passage 2 is $159 at 4 lbs. 14 ounces. Become a store member and receive a 10% discount at the counter.
    ???
    What's this REI 10% discount at the counter?

I'm familiar with REI members receiving a 10% rebate (or 'dividend') the following year on all regularly priced merchandise they purchase, and I'm familiar with their frequent "20% off one item". Haven't heard of any 10% discount at the counter. Is this a new promotion trying to raise member ships?

The "old LunarDuo" is light, huge inside and a steal at that price. Check these forums for reviews.

Bump on this thread...

I've secured some more funds for a two person tent and have narrowed it down to either the Lightheart Duo or SMD Lunar Duo (Explorer).

Concerns:

-Lightheart: even though the floor is 100" long, I fear that walls look like they might be too sloped. Being 6'1", I'm wondering if my face/feet will be right near the walls of the tent. Also, is the lack of any top vents.

-SMD: having trouble finding the space to set this tent up at a site. Also concerned about wind stability with such a huge surface area to get caught in the wind. However, since I don't camp above ridgeline usually, this might not be a big issue. So attracted to the 2lbs weight of the Lightheart though.

Can anyone out there who has experience with these tents address these concerns? Both tents are on sale until the end of the year (tomorrow), so I'm trying to utilize that! Thanks!

Images

Chall,
    are you going to be sharing the tent with another person - thus the 2 person tent need, or do you just wnat the room? 2 people can share the SoLong 6 - it's not quite as spacious as the Duo. At 6'1" you would fit in the Duo without any trouble, but, I'm not as tall as you- and, I'm the manufacture, so there could be some bias here.
    Judy - LightHeart Gear

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Chall,
    are you going to be sharing the tent with another person - thus the 2 person tent need, or do you just wnat the room? 2 people can share the SoLong 6 - it's not quite as spacious as the Duo. At 6'1" you would fit in the Duo without any trouble, but, I'm not as tall as you- and, I'm the manufacture, so there could be some bias here.
    Judy - LightHeart Gear
    Judy - this will be primarily used with another person, specifically my 5'6" wife. Although there are times that I hike with people that are taller, and not my wife. I really want the Solong to work for all of those occasions, but I'm not sure it would. The Solong would be ideal if it worked for all scenarios.

Images

IMGP1802.jpgThis photo shows 2 regular (20" X 70") in an older version of the SoLong 6 - - the fly has been updated, but the floor is the same. If you don't mind sleeping close, the SoLong 6 will work just fine.

Judy - I went with the Solong. Can't wait to get it. Thanks!!

++ New Posts ++