WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question LT advice: NOBO vs SOBO?

I'm trying to put together an E2E of the LT next summer, likely in August. This will be my first major thru hike. I've seen a few opinions on going NOBO or SOBO but never really compiled in one place. So, LT veterans, what's your preference and why?

I decided to go SOBO July 2012 and loved it. I can't compare to NOBO though but if I were to do it again I'd stay SOBO. More solitude. I was alone for at least half the nights if not more. And for me I'd rather cruise the easy stuff at the end for a shorter hike like the LT.

Images

NOBO gives you a gentle start. Last 100 miles or so are the roughest. On the other hand you end up in the sticks at the end of your hike.

Images

If you are new to long distance hiking, NOBO is the way to go. Manchester has two outfitters if you need to substitute gear choices.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I went NOBO this year and really enjoyed the hike, and I agree with Jeff, if you are new to long distance hiking, go NOBO. True that Journeys End is in the middle of the sticks, but there are shuttle drivers that will pick you up there. Going south you start out right away in some of the more challenging terrain.

I went SOBO mostly for logistical reasons. It was easier for me to beg a ride to North Troy from a friend and take a bus home from Williamstown. Getting out of North Troy can be a challenge but you can easily walk right off the trail and to the bus in Willimstown.

Otherwise, I guess it's a toss up. In theory, going NOBO builds you up to tackle the last 100 miles. But even as you get stronger, the trail gets harder, so you don't really feel like it's getting any easier.

OTOH, going SOBO you hit the hard part first and you know it so you go slow. Then you get to about the middle of the state and all of a sudden you feel like your flying down the trail. That's a gratifying feeling. Plus when you get onto the AT section, your seasoned and get to meet all the AT NOBO's. So, I guess I vote SOBO and would do it again that way.

I also did it in August. It was quite hot and humid at the start, it rained a lot and it got down right chilly towards September.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 12-03-2013 at 22:39.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

We went NOBO last summer for several reasons. It is an easier start as far as terrain, and made it easier for my hiking partner (a 12 year old) to adjust to trail life and hiking all day in general. It is true that the trail gets rougher the further north you go, but once we were past Whiteface Mt., it seemed to get a little better (that was just our perspective). Then there's Manchester Center, where as Jeff has already mentioned, you can rework your gear if necessary before continuing. Also, when in Manchester Center, make sure to stay at Green Mountain House, one of the best hostels out there.

If I were to hike the LT again (and I am planning on it one of these summers!), I think I'd go SOBO, for a different perspective on the trail and just to get the harder parts of the trail out of the way and then cruise down to Mass.

Transportation, I think, can be a big factor in which way you end up going. Depends on where you're coming from and if you have family/friends close enough and willing to help. We were fortunate that we live "next door" in NH, so coordinating transport was easier.

Either way, the LT is a great trail and will be a great adventure for you!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My newbie 16-yo brother and I went SOBO in August 1979. Yes, that first week was tough, especially with a record high temp the first day out, but once we passed Camel's Hump we were able to put in some high-mileage days even on the numerous rainy days we encountered. The northern section is much more scenic and rugged, and I hope to get back there someday.

To answer your question: If you've been out for a week or more before, then I'd head SOBO just to experience the difference, as you will have experience with re-supply and what it takes to get in hiking shape. Frankly, the northernmost section is so rugged that you really don't get into much of a hiking stride for very long.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

+1. What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by jestopher View Post
    I'm trying to put together an E2E of the LT next summer, likely in August. This will be my first major thru hike. I've seen a few opinions on going NOBO or SOBO but never really compiled in one place. So, LT veterans, what's your preference and why?
    You must have not looked very hard because, despite others here on this thread offering their opinions, this EXACT topic has been opined extensively in very terse comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You must have not looked very hard because, despite others here on this thread offering their opinions, this EXACT topic has been opined extensively in very terse comparisons.
    Didn't mean to offend you. I did search back quite a ways and was having trouble finding information. If you're feeling generous maybe you could point me in the right direction?

Images

Jestopher, the search engine on this site does not seem to be very effective. When I am looking for something on Whiteblaze I usually use Google and just include 'Whiteblaze' with my other search terms. That seems to be the best way to help me find the threads I want.

Of course there is nothing wrong with asking a Question even if it has been previously discussed. Otherwise I don't think we would have very much here to talk about. Welcome to Whiteblaze

One can include the following in a Google Search to restrict results to White Blaze:

site:whiteblaze.net

So, to use Google to search for the specific phrase "Long Trail" Google the following:

site:whiteblaze.net "Long Trail"

or for references to a SOBO Long Trail hike, google:

site:whiteblaze.net Long Trail SOBO

I have found the White Blaze search function to be of very limited value and have always used Google personally.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've gone both ways twice and up and back once. Six of one half dozen of the other. A lot depends on getting on and off the trail planning. If you can get a ride up North I would say go NOBO. But coming South is nice because of the interaction with AT hikers after Maine Junction. Manchester Center is the place to plan hitting.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    I decided to go SOBO July 2012 and loved it. I can't compare to NOBO though but if I were to do it again I'd stay SOBO. More solitude. I was alone for at least half the nights if not more. And for me I'd rather cruise the easy stuff at the end for a shorter hike like the LT.

If you enjoy solitude I would start north bound at Rock Fish Gap late April. Then after your Katahdin summit, travel back to Rock Fish Gap and head South to Springer. This way you will be out of the bubble for most of your journey. The other advantage of this hike, you avoid the need for winter gear all together. You also begin the hike far enough south where you can develop your trail legs prior to NH and ME. This is the hike I would do, if I was to do the AT again. But then, I would not be able to brag about the hypothermia, and frost bite I suffered through in my 3/6/13 Springer start.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post

If you enjoy solitude I would start north bound at Rock Fish Gap late April. Then after your Katahdin summit, travel back to Rock Fish Gap and head South to Springer. This way you will be out of the bubble for most of your journey. The other advantage of this hike, you avoid the need for winter gear all together. You also begin the hike far enough south where you can develop your trail legs prior to NH and ME. This is the hike I would do, if I was to do the AT again. But then, I would not be able to brag about the hypothermia, and frost bite I suffered through in my 3/6/13 Springer start.
    If/When I get to the AT, I'll keep that in mind but this is a thread about the Long Trail.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

SOBO... because I liked the idea of hiking out of hell a lot more than hiking into it.

...I mean it.. I always get the hard stuff out of the way first while I'm fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    SOBO... because I liked the idea of hiking out of hell a lot more than hiking into it.

...I mean it.. I always get the hard stuff out of the way first while I'm fresh.
    Agreed. I figure if I can handle 'hell' , the I know I can do the rest of the trail.

I'd also recommend NOBO. My 2007 thruhike was somewhat unusual - an inside-out hike where I started at Rt. 4, hiked NOBO to Canada, returned to Rt. 4, hiked SOBO to Massachusetts. This was because my hiking partner only wanted to hike the non-AT portion and our schedules didn't allow him to join me later if I started a NOBO from Mass.

I'd like to thruhike the LT again some day and it will be NOBO. I like saving the best parts - Lincoln Ridge through Mansfield - until later in the hike.

Journal Entries

I've hiked it both directions and it was great either way! I think if I hike it again I would hike it NOBO. I like saving the best for last! But the logistics of getting to the trail and getting off the trail are important. It might just come down to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++