WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

An orange that you eat? I encountered one all alone, sitting on a boulder in the woods in New York (or NJ or some state. They blur together). After a few weeks you think nothing about eating food you find in the woods. Part of the experience.

Yep a new orange on the trail. Thing was it was miles in from any road. No ATV trails, intersecting paths and the like. Blowdowns from the previous week (and some older) covered the trail in a lot of places and were not disturbed or gone around (I cleared most...except when chainsaw was needed) and no footprints in the mud. Was odd...

"Yes Alice you need to carry my orange so I can carry the stove comfortably"

"Gee, that will make me very tired and unable to participate in any non-hiking activities like skinny dipping or other fun things"

November 2013 AT section hike thru the Smokies - Fontanta Dam to Standing Bear Farm
    (my last shuttle ride with Curtis R.I.P. great guy)
    at Double Springs Gap shelter just south of Newfound Gap
    met a duffle bag hiker dude
    (one other SoBo thru hiker at the shelter that night)
    said he just rode a bus from his Ohio town to Tennessee, then hitched to Gatlinburg and Newfound Gap... to escape his "relationship problems" with a GF
    ranted all evening about the "b*tch" and what he was gonna do after this hike
    lacked any proper gear and clothing for Nov weather in the Smokies
    but did carry a variety of pharmaceuticals and liquor to relieve his problems
    and the biggest Bowie knife I've seen in years
    me and the SoBo hiker tried to talk him down, the dude was jumpy and needed help

he seemed to fancy himself as Rambo-Jr.
    regaled us all evening with his tale of woe, life stories, romantic conquests (too many to count)
    and how he had to escape the numerous females in his town that were chasing him

awoke us in middle of night shouting about seeing a Bigfoot creature living in the Smokies, that only he had seen, was trying to steal his pack that night'
    next morning claimed some large footprints in the mud were Bigfoots
    anyone else seen Bigfoot in the Smokies?

hey RangerZ !
    small world

I was also at Mnt Phase of Ranger School in 1976, our class was there during peak fall colors late Oct til early Nov of that year. Still remember a jump from CH-47 chopper during that phase into a cow pasture, but the view of mtn fall colors.. flying in was awesome.

fwiw: the mountain phase was by far my favorite part of Ranger school that year. First time in north GA mountains. I remember doing patrols near Hawk Mtn and Gooch Mtn shelters that year. Never saw any AT hikers.

The Florida phase was miserable. The class right after mine had 3 hypothermia fatalities in Jan-77 in those dam Yellow River swamps, one guy died who had been in my Engineer EOBC class that summer at Ft Belvoir, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I was in the Mountain Phase of Ranger School in 1976. We reconned Hawk Mountain shelter one night, I was somewhere out on security.

We might have observed the trail if a patrol got near it. We definitely did not want to be seen by a hiker.

coming up to Pulpit Rock,Berks County,a completely nude man standing close by advertising himself

Quote Originally Posted by 44terryberry View Post
    coming up to Pulpit Rock,Berks County,a completely nude man standing close by advertising himself
    Maybe it was hike naked and you didn't know it. And that would make you the strangest encounter on the trail.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++