WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tarptent Contrail vs LightHeart SOlo

Im ready to buy one or the other. I leaning towards the Contrail because of the "apparent" ease of setup as well as the additional 2 square feet of room... I am changing from a BA Copper Spur UL1... Any suggestions advice?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    Im ready to buy one or the other. I leaning towards the Contrail because of the "apparent" ease of setup as well as the additional 2 square feet of room... I am changing from a BA Copper Spur UL1... Any suggestions advice?
    Lightheart has better ventilation options, less condensation issues, and when the weather allows much better views. Tarptent makes a great product, you really can't go wrong with either.

Images

I have no experience with the Tarptent Contrail, but Tarptent has a good reputation. I have owned the Lightheart Gear Solo and I was very happy with it. I think you find in fact that the Solo is the larger of the two -- 30sqft vs 21sqft -- at only 2.5 ounces more than the listed weight of the Contrail.

I found that with the Solo, there was plenty of room for myself and my gear with room to spare. Plenty of room to sit up and I found the position of the tent's headroom ideal; I could sit right up without rubbing against the tent body. I also found the Solo quick and easy to set up. And I really prefered the side entry over that of a front entry tent.

I think that you would be well served with either tent. I have since moved on to a hammock, but I would pick the LHG Solo again.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

What I don't like about my contrail is the forward entry. Space and weight is great

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That's a coin flipper.

One difference (I think) is that the Contrail can be setup as a freestanding tent.

Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the BA?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That's a coin flipper.

One difference (I think) is that the Contrail can be setup as a freestanding tent.
    You are thinking of the Rainbow. I had a Contrail and about 800ish miles on it. I liked it for the most part, but like was mentioned already, the front entry was less than ideal. I did have some condensation issues on occasion, but you'll have that with most tents I think depending on weather/site selection. I kept the vents wide open 99% of the time to combat this. Setup is very easy, but will take a handful of pitches to learn to get it just right (tight!). I eventually upgraded to a Hexamid for both weight savings and the side entry feature, and gave the Contrail to studlintsean (I am sure he will check in here), and he has used it for a couple hundred miles so far as well.

I can't comment on the LHG Solo, but the Contrail is definitely a great shelter for the price.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hpowers View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the BA?
    the "weight"- it doesn't give "me" extra functionality/protection. In no way am I a "gram-weenie"m but if I can afford and if I dont lose any features/comfort why not make the change. This year, for 3 (30-40miles) day trips my weight with water and food was around 38-40 lbs. With a new shelter and switching from a bag to a quilt I think I can drop 3-4 pounds...

the "weight"- it doesn't give "me" extra functionality/protection. In no way am I a "gram-weenie"m but if I can afford and if I dont lose any features/comfort why not make the change. This year, for 3 (30-40miles) day trips my weight with water and food was around 38-40 lbs. With a new shelter and switching from a bag to a quilt I think I can drop 3-4 pounds...
    How much food do you usually have left after a hike?

The best and easiest way to drop pack weight is to fine tune how much food you're carrying. I hate finishing a hike with 3 lbs of food left in my bag. (back when I was in the "well, you might need this and you might need that" stage this was my worst offender).

After that, think about how much water you're carrying. Look at your guide - if there's a reliable water source 8 miles ahead of you why carry 3 quarts of water.

(Not saying you carry too much food and water - just that this is the first place I'd recommend anyone who want to lighten their pack start looking).

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    You are thinking of the Rainbow. I had a Contrail and about 800ish miles on it. I liked it for the most part, but like was mentioned already, the front entry was less than ideal. I did have some condensation issues on occasion, but you'll have that with most tents I think depending on weather/site selection. I kept the vents wide open 99% of the time to combat this. Setup is very easy, but will take a handful of pitches to learn to get it just right (tight!). I eventually upgraded to a Hexamid for both weight savings and the side entry feature, and gave the Contrail to studlintsean (I am sure he will check in here), and he has used it for a couple hundred miles so far as well.

I can't comment on the LHG Solo, but the Contrail is definitely a great shelter for the price.
    Yup. Id recommend the contrail to anyone looking for a new shelter

Images

Another advantage of the LH is the more symmetrical shape makes it less sensitive to the wind direction when you set it up. If you get a door on both sides it's even less of an issue.

I have a rain shadow 2 (similar shape, much larger than contrail) and if the weather is bad, I need to be pretty careful on the direction I set it up in relation to the wind. With my LH Solong 6, it doesn't matter as much.

Like I said both good tents, I am more partial to the LH for a solo tent.

Images

Love my lightheart Solong. I use it as a double with my wife and as a roomy solo alone. Great tent or tarp or whatever.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

The Lightheart takes some getting use to for set up. I yelled at it for a few days on the CDT in the desert but once I got the hang of it it was a quick set up.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I yelled at it for a few days on the CDT in the desert.
    Did it ever comment? I have had them sing to me in the wind.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

I've got the Contrail, lightweight, compact, and easy to set up. The only downside is I broke one of the standard steaks the first time I set it up, so I just use cheap aluminum ones and it works great.

Tarptent Notch. Lightweight. Doublewall. Easy to set up. Dual side entry. Easy to get into/out of in the rain.

Images

One correction - the Contrail can be set up to provide 27 sq feet of living space, not 21. 21 is with un relaxed floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    How much food do you usually have left after a hike?

The best and easiest way to drop pack weight is to fine tune how much food you're carrying. I hate finishing a hike with 3 lbs of food left in my bag. (back when I was in the "well, you might need this and you might need that" stage this was my worst offender).

After that, think about how much water you're carrying. Look at your guide - if there's a reliable water source 8 miles ahead of you why carry 3 quarts of water.

(Not saying you carry too much food and water - just that this is the first place I'd recommend anyone who want to lighten their pack start looking).
    10k, I have severe fear of being without water... Usuallly "camel up" every morning with 4-5 liters... and can drink that by the afternoon on hot or cold days. Food, I am not nearly as bad but usually end up bringing an extra day of food (2lbs). So "yes" if I cut back water and drink at sources, and refine my food I can cut but I am purely "looking at base weight" reduction.

I've tried both the Contrail and LH Solo, and actually like the Tarptent Notch better than either of them. The Notch has side entry also.

10k, I have severe fear of being without water... Usuallly "camel up" every morning with 4-5 liters... and can drink that by the afternoon on hot or cold days. Food, I am not nearly as bad but usually end up bringing an extra day of food (2lbs). So "yes" if I cut back water and drink at sources, and refine my food I can cut but I am purely "looking at base weight" reduction.
    5 liters of water and 2 lbs of food weighs around 13 lbs. This is why your pack weight is 38-40 lbs for a 3 day trip. The difference between the weight of your Copper Spur UL1 and either of the tents you're considering isn't even a blip compared to the freight you're hauling for food and water.

I"m just saying - I'm not judging - HYOH and all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++