WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resupply Towns

Default Resupply Towns

My draft resupply plan for the CT using the Collegiate West route includes Breckenridge, Twin Lakes, Monarch Crest Store, Crede, and Molas Lake Campground. It was originally planned with the intent of avoiding most hitch hiking and staying as close to the trail as possible. Since I put together that plan, I've been convinced that I should look at adding a couple of additional town stops to lower my pack weight even more but I'm not sure which towns to add so I'm looking for feedback on the potential additions listed below:

• Buffalo Creek or Jefferson? I'd like to break up the 105 mile Denver-Breckenridge segment in some way to make things easier as I start out. At this point, I've narrowed down the possible stops to Buffalo Creek or Jefferson. Going to Buffalo Creek would make for a very light first day and a half of hiking. I'd get into Buffalo Creek early afternoon of my second day so I would only be carrying a little over a day of food starting out. Buffalo Creek is only three miles off trail so even if I have no luck hitching I would road walk an hour or so each way. If I go with Jefferson, I would get there on the afternoon of my 4th day on the trail. So I would start from Denver with a little over three days of food and then have about two days of food waiting in Jefferson to get me to Breckenridge. Five miles off trail but supposed to be a very easy hitch.
    • Leadville. This is looking like a good possible addition since it will break up the Breckenridge-Twin Lakes leg of the trip allowing for a very light pack out of Breckenridge if I decide not to slack pack Segment 7 or a super light pack if I decide to slack pack and start the next day from Copper Mountain. I contacted the Leadville Hostel and they provide shuttles for $10 each way to Tennessee Pass. I'm not sure if there is a phone or cell reception at the pass but since there is a vista point/pullout there, I figure that hitching would be easy.

I don't see a good way to break up the Monarch Crest-Creede segment since hitching to Gunnison or Saguache seems more trouble that it is worth - so if I add the two stops above, the Monarch Crest-Creede segment will be my longest segment without resupply but still not too bad at just 4 1/2 days of food with a total estimated pack weight still under 27 pounds.

Any input would be helpful - particularly on the Buffalo Creek vs. Jefferson decision. I think that I'm pretty much sold on adding Leadville at this point. Thanks!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Jefferson, though very small as well, has a few more services (general store, a couple of food options) And, if you really need to, you can hitch a little further to the full service town of Fairplay as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Tennessee Pass into Leadville - if you go across the street, in the woods behind the war memorial, you get really good cell phone reception, there is also camping space back in there.

Jefferson does look like a somewhat better option with the restaurant being an added bonus. Also, good to know that there is cell reception near Tennessee Pass in case I can't hitch a ride. The Leadville hostel seems very hiker friendly with good shuttle rates. Thanks!

I've made it from Denver to Breckenridge several times without a re-supply in between. It adds two days so the first couple of days are a bit heavy, but totally manageable. You might consider that option. You would probably want to carry about 7 days worth of food out of Denver since you probably won't be moving really fast the first few days.

If you do go into Jefferson, there is a good barbecue and ice cream place there. The store is fairly basic - not much choice, but you only need to get two days worth of supplies to get to Frisco / Breckenridge.

In 2012 I hitched into Leadville. I went to the right when coming out of the trailhead and was going to walk as I hitched (unaware as to the ease of hitching). Two vehicles passed me going my direction. Both of them stopped and gave me a ride. The first just as far as a forest service road. The second took me all the way into town and dropped me off at the hostel. I have since talked with a few others that have hitched in as well so it would appear that this is an easy hitch.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It took me about 15 minutes to get a ride from Tennessee Pass into Leadville early on a rainy Sunday morning with very little traffic, and they were more than happy to drive me right to the hostel (it did give them a few extra minutes to ask more about the hike). I would consider it an easy hitch and only plan on calling the hostel as a back-up.

I'm finalizing my resupply plan. Right now the plan is to send packages to Twin Lakes and Molas Lake Campground and to buy groceries at Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida, and Lake City. I got a quick email reply from Twin Lakes verifying that I can send a package via the US Postal Service and this seems straight forward. I was also able to contact the Silverton Town Hall today to ask about Molas Lake. Apparently, packages are to be sent to Town Hall in Silverton via UPS and are then taken up to Molas Lake. It sounds straight forward enough but I wonder how often people send boxes to the campground and whether there is some risk that maybe a package wouldn't arrive? Would it make more sense for me to buy food in Silverton rather than pick up a box at Molas Lake? Has anyone successfully sent a box to Molas lake this year or last year, or had issues receiving packages there? I figure it should be OK but wouldn't hurt to seek firsthand info...

Thanks.

Molas Lake is about 5 miles from Silverton via a busy highway. It's an easy hitch. The grocery store in Silverton will have all you need. Also an outdoor store that carries stove fuel. Silverton is really a nice little mining town that has been completely restored for the tourism industry. One of the coolest little mountain towns in Colorado. It also has a hostel. You should go spend a night there, have some food, and hit it again the next day. Nice kickoff for the last 75 miles to Durango.

I will be hiking in to Elk Creek this weekend to work on the adopter crew getting the trail in shape, then hiking back to Durango on the CT. I will post some some info about the water situation in Seg 27 when I get back around the 4th.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post

I will be hiking in to Elk Creek this weekend to work on the adopter crew getting the trail in shape, then hiking back to Durango on the CT. I will post some some info about the water situation in Seg 27 when I get back around the 4th.
    My last day of work is 6/30 otherwise it would be great to join you before my San Juan sojurn. (If I stick around to 6/30, I get 5% of my pay as a bonus!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    My last day of work is 6/30 otherwise it would be great to join you before my San Juan sojurn. (If I stick around to 6/30, I get 5% of my pay as a bonus!)
    Maybe next year.

If I choose to go into Silverton, I'll have to revise my plan for the tricky water situation in segment 27 since it'll take some time to resupply vs just picking up a box but maybe it is worth it. It sounds like an interesting little town.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    If I choose to go into Silverton, I'll have to revise my plan for the tricky water situation in segment 27 since it'll take some time to resupply vs just picking up a box but maybe it is worth it. It sounds like an interesting little town.
    I don't understand your statement here. How does going into Silverton or not have anything to do with water logistics in sect 27? If you do go into Silverton(and I agree with Bearcreek's assessment of Silverton) when you get back on the CT SWBO at Molas Pass in short order you'll be passing by Little Molas Lake for drinking water. I had the 4th edit CT Databook. I don't know if all the Data for Sect 27 is exactly the same for the latest(5th edit) CT Databook. I thru-hiked in 2012(not 2013 like I had said on a few other threads, time flies!, I lost a yr) from the last week of Sept to the beginning of the fourth wk of Oct. I didn't see much rain on the trail the whole thru-hike although it did rain all day heavily when I was in Lake City and Silverton for zero days. I experienced one day on trail of basically off and on drizzle. I got snowed on twice(not near Sect 27). I hiked sect 27 SWBO. I don't know when you plan on hiking Coffee which COULD affect water availability. I found some trickles of water AFTER the second crossing of Straight Creek(mile 8.4) in Sect 26 at about mile 9.4. My CT Databook says the second crossing of Straight Creek(mile 8.4 in Sect 26) is the last reliable water until Taylor Lake at mile 19.4 in Sect 27 about 20 miles away. HOWEVER, between mile 1.4 and mile 5.7 in Sect 27(you cross and recross FS 564 several times) I found trickles of water along FS 564 in roadside drainage ditches. I had not experienced rain since being in Silverton. You COULD walk FS 564 for a few miles rather than the CT, which is only off in the woods a short distance, looking for water in those roadside drainage ditches IF it was an emergency water situation. Again these mileages are from my 4th edit CT Databook. Also, since I was hiking in Oct I passed several hunter's camps along the way between those mileage pts near and on FS 564. I was offered water several times. Sects 26-27 aren't that difficult from a hiking or water logistics perspective IMO. Get water from Straight Creek in Sect 26. Camp shortly after that. There's a campsite at mile 10 in sect 26. There are also hunter's camps along Hotel Draw Rd(FS 550). It seems to be a well used improved gravel road in the area. Hike 18-19 miles the next day to reliable Taylor Lake for water or split up the mileage with one night of camping somewhere in the middle of that 20 mile. IN addition, I found seeps at mile 11.7 in Sect 27 I could have gathered water from just as it was described in my CT Databook. Plan your water logistics appropriately. It's not a BIG deal

Thanks for the water input Dogwood. I only meant to say that going into Silverton vs picking up a box at Molas Lake would require more time and I would have to adjust for that. My current plan involves staying near Molas Lake after a 22 mile day, picking up the resupply box, and hiking to the end of section 25 the next day which is a distance of 22.4 miles based on the guidebook. If I spend the night in Silverton, I'm not sure that I'd get back to the trail early enough to do that 22.4 miles (there seems to be some above treeline exposure) and then that would have an impact on subsequent days. Nothing insurmountable by any means, just a possible change in plans.

FWIW, my current plan after Segment 25 is to hike to Segment 27 Mile 6.5 the next day, a distance of just 17.4 miles, picking up water at Straight Creek for a potential dry camp if the seasonal sources in segment 27 are dry. The next morning, I would get an early start and get over Indian Ridge and then hike to Junction Creek at Segment 28 Mile 7.1. The next day would finish the hike.

if I go into Silverton, maybe I will treat the next day as a nero if weather or time becomes an issue and just finish a day later. As things stand, I do have a slack day to play with anyway.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There's a campsite at mile 10 in sect 26. There are also hunter's camps along Hotel Draw Rd(FS 550). It seems to be a well used improved gravel road in the area. Hike 18-19 miles the next day to reliable Taylor Lake for water or split up the mileage with one night of camping somewhere in the middle of that 20 mile. IN addition, I found seeps at mile 11.7 in Sect 27 I could have gathered water from just as it was described in my CT Databook. Plan your water logistics appropriately. It's not a BIG deal
    BTW, dry camping at section 26 mile 10 was something I thought of but I wasn't sure about doing the 20 or so miles to Taylor Lake the following day because I've read here and elsewhere that Indian Ridge is best traveled in the morning and I would likely be there at noon or later if starting at section 26 mile 10. So I thought that if I attempt this but have to hunker down due to storms and if the seasonal water isn't there, I might face a second dry camp in a row. The water carry from Straight Creek to potentially deal with two dry camps in a row seems kind of high.

BTW, I'll be in this area the last week of August.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

WHEN you would be on the CT was something I was wondering about. LOL. Well, if there are seasonal storms there's a GOOD chance of getting some rainfall during Aug so there's a decent shot at having greater water availability in that sometimes dry 19 mile or so area between Straight Cr and Taylor Lake but take it as it comes. If you want to go into Silverton the two places I've found that are good places to get a ride(by asking/hitching) are at the Molas Pass Overlook and either at the Ice Pirates Snowmobile Outlet or at the Molas Lake CG. The Overlook provides a good view and large parking lot that'll have people in Aug to ask for rides. At the other two places there are people to ask and room for cars to pull over ON YOUR SIDE of the HWY 550 going into Silverton. Everyone traveling on this side of HWY 550 is heading into or through Silverton. Check out the Google map of the area. You can take the short cut on a single track that quickly turns into a gaited gravel road to Molas Lake CG or Ice Pirates. The junction is signed. It's rather a winding route up to Molas Pass Overlook after this junction. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.74...07.6911999,16z

Thanks for the info on hitching into Silverton. I've read that it is a very easy hitch so I just need to decide on whether to spend the extra time needed to go into town to resupply.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Yeah, I wouldn't want to get caught on that exposed Indian Ridge section when it was lightning but it is a nifty little ridgeline walk. There are some fields just before the serious exposure where you could get into some tree cover. I've heard some have found some trickles of water in this area. Bearcreek knows better though. It's spotty cover though as you descend off Indian Ridge down to and through Kennebec Pass though too. Some trees at Taylor Lake although I haven't camped at the lake. It seemed a bit over used to me. It's close to Kennebec Pass with it's somewhat busy TH. I don't have the elev profile handy but once you come off Indian Ridge it's a pretty steady flat and downhill hike to Junction Creek. Zoom Zoom Zoom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++