WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resupply Towns

The Hostel in Silverton reminds me of some of the AT Hostels. They have a bunk room and rooms in a centralized location near the PO, GOOD coffee shop(had to put that in given your user name), restaurants, lots of historic structures(check out the old Town Hall(it's at the other end of town near a Laundromat in an RV park), bars, hotels and, of course, the railroad - the history and architecture of this CO mining town was pretty neat to me, consider what miner's do when they come into town - booze and women), med sized grocery store(you'll pass that going into town), Library(w/ internet), etc. A picture of the town lit up at night during winter with the mountains surrounding it have graced more than a few Christmas cards. Taking the narrow gauge Silverton & Durango RR between the two towns is a real treat in the fall or possibly after the hike.

Coffee, maybe I'll run into you. I'll be spending time in the CT corridor this summer promoting the book. Got one gig lined up in Denver for July 23 and will likely stay in Front Range for a week or so, then head down to the CT trail towns.

So I've decided to go into Silverton rather than send a resupply to Molas Lake. Well, actually my resupply package is ready to go so I'll be sending it to Silverton (either PO or the hostel) rather than the circuitous route to Molas (have to send to Silverton Town Hall first via UPS, then they forward to the camp host at Molas ... too many steps and possibility of something going wrong imo). Plus I wouldn't mind checking out Silverton and the hostel under new ownership (Blair Street Hostel). And it is supposed to be a really easy hitch...

In terms of logistics, I'm going to plan on a shorter day out of Silverton to allow for time to get back to the trailhead. So I'm going to aim for Segment 25 Mile 14.8 which is at a crossing of Cascade Creek. The data book reports camp sites 200 feet from the bridge on the east side of the creek. The only concern on the day out of Silverton is crossing a 12,500 pass at mile 11.2 which I assume might be somewhat exposed and I'll probably only get there in the afternoon. Contingency would be to camp earlier (like mile 8) where there is water and campsites. The plan for the following day would be to make it to Segment 27 Mile 6.5 where the data book reports that there *may* be water 200 yards downhill from a sign, but I don't plan to count on that. I plan to assume a dry camp and will carry plenty of water from Straight Creek at Segment 26 Mile 8.4. The next day I would start very early to get past the Indian Trail Ridge area before noon, fill up on water at Taylor Lake, and then proceed to Junction Creek at Segment 28 Mile 7.1. The next day completes the hike to Durango.

I think that this plan seems reasonable in terms of avoiding exposure as well as minimizing water carry and having to do only one potential dry camp in Segment 27. If anyone sees issues with this planning, feedback would be great!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    . If anyone sees issues with this planning, feedback would be great!
    Bearcreek can chime in as he knows this area so well, but sure seems like you have a fine thought-out plan. I cannot remember when you're hitting the trail, but who knows, by the time you get to this area, we might be out of the monsoon pattern, or at least have a good break in it and might be able to cruise high in the afternoons (but as you know, can't count on this). Enjoy Silverton! I still like the Handlebars café the best for a burger/beer/good pie, but no breakfast served there. It gets really crowded at all the places just after a train from Durango arrives, but no biggie.

I should be in Silverton around August 23-24 timeframe so I'm hoping that might be late in the monsoon season but who knows!

I agree with Rob. Good plan. The hike from Molas Pass to Cascade Creek is not easy so get out there and start it as early as possible. If you hike from Cascade to Straight Creek the next day and camp there you can probably make it to one of the water sources on Cape of Good Hope in a day and avoid a dry camp.

Good chance that it will be fewer issues with weather in your timeframe, but don't count on that. It's not very predictable.

Silverton is a great layover. You will be glad you visited....

Weather is indeed not written in stone but in most yrs the monsoon season for western Colorado and eastern Utah is over or at it's near end as August comes to a close. The historical monthly rain averages seem to bear this out. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/Weather_Info/monsoon.php http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...ion-august.php

Resupply towns along the Colorado Trail are so different from many of the towns along the AT. There is much more too them. I enjoyed the ones we visited, including Breckinridge, Salida, Lake City and Silverton. And, unlike the AT, it's about the only place you will spend time with other hikers. So, my recommendation is to hit as many towns as possible

I've liked all of them so far: Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida, and just got into Lake City after a very tough hitch. Towns are definitely a memorable part of the trip.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Coffee, you have to learn to limp a bit and put on a sad puppy dog face when hitch hiking.

When hitch hiking I behave like a marketing rep or politician. NO, I don't lie. I do the other thing they do so well. I connect with people! Talking it up a bit, introducing yourself, sharing with people what you are doing - thru-hiking the CT and need resupplies, you're out of food, need to go into town - ask what they're doing/where they are going(let them talk too!), etc helps immensely.

There is just not a lot of traffic at Spring Creek Pass. The three conversations I had were with friendly folks headed toward Creede. I guess luck is a big factor. After a while with no luck, I started the road walk and stopped to try to hitch when the rare car came by. Finally got a ride from a local older couple.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

San Juan Soda company makes a great sundae and Poker Alice has huge calzones! Lake City was worth the hassle getting here!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I agree luck is the primary factor in hitching. I had a long wait at Monarch Pass (in good weather and lots of traffic), yet at Spring Creek Pass, the second car (5 minutes) picked me up. I really enjoyed Lake City. Good restaurants and a great hostel!

Easy hitch to Silverton this afternoon... A nice little town from what I've seen so far!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    I agree luck is the primary factor in hitching. I had a long wait at Monarch Pass (in good weather and lots of traffic), yet at Spring Creek Pass, the second car (5 minutes) picked me up. I really enjoyed Lake City. Good restaurants and a great hostel!
    Monarch pass was pretty easy hitch but my ride only took me as far as Poncha Springs. From there it was hard to get a second hitch to Salida. I gave up after 45 minutes, got a milkshake at a roadside restaurant and called a cab...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

There is just not a lot of traffic at Spring Creek Pass.... I guess luck is a big factor. After a while with no luck, I started the road walk and stopped to try to hitch when the rare car came by. Finally got a ride from a local older couple.
    More than just luck factor season into getting a hitch at Spring Creek Pass. During fall plenty of leaf peppers drive through and some even stop at the Pass Parking Lot to take a break, read the historical signage, eat a snack, take a short hike, etc. Day of week factors in too with usually more traffic at this pass on a fall weekend.

Hitching from here into Salida can be hard because drivers come flying over the Pass with a limited sight distance. Standing on the side of the road at the far end of the Monarch Crest Store or at the pullout gives motorists more time to notice you hitch hiking and time to safely pill over.

Monarch pass was pretty easy hitch but my ride only took me as far as Poncha Springs. From there it was hard to get a second hitch to Salida. I gave up after 45 minutes, got a milkshake at a roadside restaurant and called a cab...
    That happened to me too winding up in Poncha Spgs on one of my hitches back to Monarch Pass. I knew what was up ahead and the limited narrow shoulder so I talked up a ride at a gas station/convenience store.

I guess you can say getting a ride is mainly about luck but I prefer to think I can do things to put myself in the best possible place to get that ride. Talking up a ride, and offering a few gas $ while doing it, introducing myself, telling folks face to face what I'm doing and where I need to go is by far the way I get most of my rides, NOT sticking my thumb out standing alongside a busy road with speeding motorists.

I tend to be introverted so approaching people doesn't come naturally, but I have to say that it is easier on the trail than elsewhere. Many times people approach me wondering what I'm up to or guessing that I'm thru hiking and want to hear my story. It has been a definite learning experience for me. I'm very glad that I decided to visit the towns. I'm getting much more accustomed to hitching... Something that will come in useful on future trips.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

These are good points about hitching. I always position myself so that I increase my visibility and provide the car a place to pull over. I wear my pack, to indicate I am a hiker and collapse my trekking poles. I'm undecided if signs help a lot, as I have had mixed results.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I guess you can say getting a ride is mainly about luck but I prefer to think I can do things to put myself in the best possible place to get that ride. Talking up a ride, and offering a few gas $ while doing it, introducing myself, telling folks face to face what I'm doing and where I need to go is by far the way I get most of my rides, NOT sticking my thumb out standing alongside a busy road with speeding motorists.

+1.

Agree, talking up a ride works infinitely better than standing by the side of the road with a thumb or sign, at least for a guy. Its really easy in some places, even rides to cities several hours away when getting off trail. Small town diners are an easy place to start conversation while you eat.

Got to Durango! Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Really helped a lot.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++