WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yushan View Post
    You would be subjecting everyone else staying at the motel to a fire risk, not just yourself. Just don't do it.
    - nope. not since MGM Grand.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, really. I guess I’m REALLY dumb because it was a good question. OK, I’m going to be just as rude:
    It boggles my mind how people with any brains whatsoever could think that a small canister stove, like a jetboil, used on a hard surface like a bathtub of tile bathroom floor could be in any way, even REMOTELY dangerous. These are the same hotels that allows smokers in some of the rooms. Smoking, like in bed, with butts likely thrown in the trash can, fully allowed, yet a jetboil on a tile floor might kill women and children????? Use your brains folks. Right. And do you really think there is significant CO from these puppies? Nope. Not even close. Light one in a small bathroom sometime and put a CO detector in there if you don’t believe me.

Yup done that... Had to find out how much Carbon Monoxide was there. It was a good test in my bathroom in my own house and it tested the detector and it turned out the detector detected a tiny amount of monoxide that wasn't significant. Most smokers have to sneak or stand outside.. Keep in mind the outstanding computer driven Smoke alarms and of course our wonderful volunteer fire service are there for you... Maybe we are on the same page... and don't worry I too have been on a few soap boxes here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I manage the front desk of a hotel and resort. Just from personal experience with guests. Eating in a room is fine and expected. However, if we find people cooking in the rooms with so much as a hot plate, the fine is $100. If there is damage it's what ever it costs to repair the damage. We had a guest cook right outside the room on the boardwalk. Their gas stove/contraption burnt the boards and almost caught the eaves on fire. If people want to camp out, then great, we have tent sites available but camping out in the room is not appropriate or considerate. Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. If a guest walks in and smells smoke, food odors etc, they walk right back out. That room is not rentable thereafter for days.

On a more common sense approach. Cooking with gas in an enclosed room, it's not a house folks with normal ventilation, it's A room. You are asking for a more permanent night's sleep. You could very well be cooking one minute and then you're asleep the next. You won't even recognize what is happening. Good luck with that.

Carbon Monoxide Fatalities by Manner of Death, Missouri 2001-2011
    Fires are the most common cause of the 198 accidental carbon monoxide fatalities in calendar years 2001-2011 comprising 76 or 38.4% of the deaths. Other sources of accidental carbon monoxide deaths were from vehicles accidentally left running indoors (43 or 21.7%), faulty furnaces (20 or 10.1%), generators (18 or 9.1%), portable heaters (7 or 3.5%), unventilated power equipment such as lawn mowers and power washers (5 or 2.5%), charcoal grills used indoors (3 or 1.5%), household appliances such as dryers or water heaters (1 or .5%) and industrial machines (1 or .5%). Source of exposure was unknown in 24 (12.1%) of fatal cases

I looked up National and that was three deaths in 2009 that were from gas sources as described... a micro amount of people - and as sad as it is - insignificant. I have personally heard of more folk doing themselves in with kingsford charcoal in tents.

Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. - Yes there we can agree - it's called knowledge.... this $500 machine can remove heavy pot - cigarette and smoke from any room in 4-6 hours... occupancy can be done in 24 hours... after the ozone is blown out... seriously if you don't know call Belfor or Serve Pro... they can clean rooms.

pro_5000_v_ozone_purifier.jpg

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-12-2013 at 23:48.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

A personal thank you to you all my son just summed it up with this video - give it a few minutes..

Woo

Cute video! Kudo's to your son!

However, I have no problem using a Jet Boil to make coffee or boil water in my home. Cooking - now that would be a different story because that brings the potential to burn food .... and property.

Nice WOO--I'll be running that tune in my head all day now! I once used my candle lantern to warn up a can of soup in a hotel room. The maid must have thought I was really poor because she left me a whole bunch of those complimentary soaps and shampoos when she cleaned the next day!!! But yeah, I got to agree it's not the smartest thing to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++