WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hike in Shenandoah National Park

Beautiful weather today in Shenandoah (Dark Hollow Falls) near the AT ...sunny weather after an overnight freeze. Winter can be a great time to hit the trail as there were few people out, and the ice made for some great scenery at the waterfall. Anyone have other locations that are a must-see during the winter? Hope you enjoy my pics...

Waterfall mist.jpgLonger misting waterfall.jpgWaterflow through rocks and logs.jpg

Images

Jones Falls in the SNP are pretty neat when frozen, but even better are the Crabtree Falls .

Does white oak canyon freeze? I did a trip there this fall and would love to do it in the winter with frozen falls If possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter2 View Post
    Beautiful weather today in Shenandoah (Dark Hollow Falls) near the AT ...sunny weather after an overnight freeze. Winter can be a great time to hit the trail as there were few people out, and the ice made for some great scenery at the waterfall. Anyone have other locations that are a must-see during the winter? Hope you enjoy my pics...
    Looks great! Did you go down to the Rose River Falls as well and if so was it frozen? One of my favorite spots for a quick camping trip. It has been too long since I visited SNP.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Does white oak canyon freeze? I did a trip there this fall and would love to do it in the winter with frozen falls If possible.
    It certainly can, although it will take longer before the upper falls, with the sheer volume of water flowing over it to finally freeze.

Water volume and width of waterfall itself along with duration of sub freezing temps have to be taken into account. I would go after a week of really cold weather in the park.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++