WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best GPS for ADT Waypoints.

Looking at getting a Garmin eTrex 20 for the Southern Indiana portion of the ADT. Im going to run from the IL/IN border to the IN/OH border over the course of two weeks, hope to average 25-26 miles per day and finish the 366 mile trek in around 2 weeks.

Will the eTrex 20 be sufficient enough to keep me on track with the waypoints provided by Kagi from the ADT's website?

How do you guy's navigate the ADT?

Im unexperienced with using GPS but need to learn quick. I imagine all i'll do is upload the waypoints to the gps unit from the GPX files and then i'll be able to figure it out from there? Just kinda lost and in the dark right now on this whole topic of navigating using only the waypoints.

Thanks, Jared "Earlybird" Weber.

(ps. i made a post in the Geography section as well addressing more issues im having on the same topic right now)

Journal Entries
    Images

Did you mean ATC? I haven't played with this for about two years and the file is collected from several GPS's and spliced for Google Earth as KML - The GPX file is for the Garmin... but there are too many points for the entire file to work on some GPS. It turned out to be too much for the Oregon model in front of me. I had to get an editor program.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The eTrex 20 is a fine unit, my son has one, but I use the lighter Garmin Foretrex 401 wrist GPS (though I took off the band and hang it from my neck instead). Plenty of GPS for just following points, measuring miles, making a track, etc. I get about 15 hours out of a set of two AAA batteries.

Journal Entries
    Images

Is the GPS of your choice waterproof? That might turn out to be important. I use a Garmin Oregon 450 on CDT.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries

I got the free GPS Essentials App for my smartphone, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sentials&hl=en , and loaded the State Data Books and GPX Waypoints. I like it better on my cell phone than on my Garmin Oregon 450t because I can read the State Data Book, and you can't on the Garmin. The downside is battery life on the phone.
    Happy Trails
    Last edited by DeerPath; 12-15-2013 at 12:24.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

++ New Posts ++