WhiteBlaze Pages 2023
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $5 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2013
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Age
    57
    Posts
    163
    Journal Entries
    9

    Default Loop in Amicolola?

    I am looking to check out some winter gear, and have two nights at the state park. I would like to see Springer mt, in case I never finish my ME>GA thru next year...lol. Must I hike in and out on the approach trail, or can I loop it? I want to walk about 20 miles. Any suggestions?
    thanks
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

  2. #2

    Default

    If you can get your car up the forest service road, you can park 0.9 miles from the summit of Springer. But since you want to do about 20 miles, the apporch is 8 miles, so round trip would be 16 - close enough. Plus there are a couple of options on where to stay along the way. I would do the approch and not have to worry about getting up or down the forest service road.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not a true loop, but from AFSP you can hike up the blue blazed approach trail to Springer, and return by a combination of the approach trail and the green blazed Hike Inn trail. From Springer you'll hike about 3 miles on the approach trail when you will run into the Hike Inn trail. That will take you past the Hike Inn and rejoin the approach trail after about 4 miles. This is about a 17 mile hike.

    To get closer to 20, when you hit Springer keep going NOBO and in about 1/4 mile you'll hit the intersection of the Benton Mackaye Trail. The BMT will eventually intersect with the AT just N of the Springer parking lot. Turn left on the AT and you are about 1.5 miles from the summit of Springer.

    This is will be very clear if you have a map you can look at.

  4. #4

    Default

    Hike Inn is about $100 a nite if you want to spend a nite there.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2013
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Age
    57
    Posts
    163
    Journal Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Not a true loop, but from AFSP you can hike up the blue blazed approach trail to Springer, and return by a combination of the approach trail and the green blazed Hike Inn trail. From Springer you'll hike about 3 miles on the approach trail when you will run into the Hike Inn trail. That will take you past the Hike Inn and rejoin the approach trail after about 4 miles. This is about a 17 mile hike.

    To get closer to 20, when you hit Springer keep going NOBO and in about 1/4 mile you'll hit the intersection of the Benton Mackaye Trail. The BMT will eventually intersect with the AT just N of the Springer parking lot. Turn left on the AT and you are about 1.5 miles from the summit of Springer.

    This is will be very clear if you have a map you can look at.
    Perfect, Max Patch, and thanks.
    I am looking at various maps online, but having never been, wasn't sure of what I was looking at.
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2013
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Age
    57
    Posts
    163
    Journal Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you can get your car up the forest service road, you can park 0.9 miles from the summit of Springer. But since you want to do about 20 miles, the apporch is 8 miles, so round trip would be 16 - close enough. Plus there are a couple of options on where to stay along the way. I would do the approch and not have to worry about getting up or down the forest service road.
    Thanks, Slo, but my car probably isn't down. Will check it out, however, and perhaps get further NOBO that way.
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

  7. #7
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2003
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    Thanks, Slo, but my car probably isn't down. Will check it out, however, and perhaps get further NOBO that way.
    Nick
    any car can make it up the forest service road. its just a gravel road, well traveled.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

    amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •