WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Most effective (or non chemical like DEET) repellent on AT thru hike?

what is the most effective (or non chemical like DEET) repellent on AT thru hike?

Images

This is what my wife likes to use http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83625
    Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus is the active ingredient
    Seems to work pretty good for her, Me, I just walk next to my wife

There isn't really a natural one that works adequately so its pick your poison, Deet or picardin. Alternatively buy bug gear and hike with it on Deet has been tested multiple times by multiple agencies and passes with flying colors. You can get clothing that is impregnated with permetherin which is good for repelling ticks and somewhat effective for mosquitoes.

Get a bug net, limit exposed skin, camp high on a windward slope, sit near the campfire smoke. The deet and permethian only marginally work when the bugs are bad, that home remedy crap is just a story your grandmaw told you.

Picaridin is effective and much less nasty than DEET in terms of skin sensitivity (in general) and it will not melt plastics like DEET. Permethrin treated clothing is very effective. In my calculation, the risks of insect-borne infection are greater than those of Picaridin and Permethrin.

Maybe this thread from last summer will help.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1516611

Another thread discussed some newer research on molecules that bind to mosquito CO2 receptors. One of those is diacetyl which is butter flavoring. These haven't shown up on the list of recommended repellents or commercial products yet. Maybe next spring when the mosquitoes are out, I will go to the grocery store and get some of the fake butter in squirt bottle and try that.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1508611

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There isn't really a natural one that works adequately so its pick your poison, Deet or picardin. Alternatively buy bug gear and hike with it on Deet has been tested multiple times by multiple agencies and passes with flying colors. You can get clothing that is impregnated with permetherin which is good for repelling ticks and somewhat effective for mosquitoes.
    Be aware that insect repellant effectiveness statistics typically compare one repellant against one other repellant. In those limited one on one comparisons we are forgetting that some insect repellant methods can be utilized in conjunction with others that may cummulatively provide an overall more effective repellancy.

Think outside of the either or it's only a this or that option approach and we'll start finding we have more insect repellancy options that quite possibly are more effective overall than DEET alone. For example, combining Lemon Eucalyptus spray/lotion and Don't Bite Me Transdermal Patches w/ a head net(at times) gives me pretty good protection from some of the more common biting insects in the U.S.

Despite you thoughts of DEET being a "chemical" other insect repellancies should be probably be thought of as "chemicals". The way you might want to look at any insect repellancy is the level of how invasive or possible threat to your health it MIGHT be

Moldy is saying the same thing about taking a multiple method approach when he said this, "Get a bug net, limit exposed skin, camp high on a windward slope, sit near the campfire smoke." That same idea can be used sometimes by combining other methods and/or insect repellants.

Don't get caught looking at insect repellancy effectiveness' studies when they are ONLY conducted and designed on a one on one repellancy comparison.

Hike realllllly fast!

I never really bothered with any. I always heard people complaining about how they just sweat off their DEET and that the all natural stuff does not work. Try and take breaks in windy areas.

I was always told to eat lots of garlic, it will keep everything away

++ New Posts ++