WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2014 A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion published 12/18

The 2014 A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion has been published (by ATC, data gathered by ALDHA) . The book reached ATC's warehouse and Harpers Ferry visitor center yesterday. For the first time, the book has elevation profiles.

These are high-quality, detailed elevation profiles, similar to the ones found on the official A.T. maps. They are quite crisp and really "pop" off the pages.

More info about this year's editions can be found on ATC's website at https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...d=756&compid=1.

There are also many more trail-town maps.

The book will start reaching stores probably next week. Proceeds support the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Thanks Laurie,
    Have mine ordered already and waiting for the book in the mail.-
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

I have seen the finished product yet but here's a screenshot of a low-rez pdf.

Capture.JPG

Thanks Shel.

My copy came in the mail Monday after I posted. Found this on Facebook.

1492584_10202296345481780_163778945_o.jpg

Images

Just got mine yesterday. It looks great. The new elevation profiles are a major big deal, and they are well executed -- same scale and distance on each profile so it's easy to compare and plan ahead. Well done!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Mrs Gorp
    Images

:banana The 21st Edition

Just downloaded the 2014 Companion PDF to the iPhone. After locking the orientation to horizontal the book looks FANTABULOUS on the screen. The elevation profiles read easily from left to right!

With an additional link to even more maps for trailhead parking and coordinates, outfitters, post offices and hostels/lodging at ALDHA Companion Online, 19 new town maps, and the revision of the previous town maps I must say THANK YOU to both Sly and Brian for pulling everyone and everything together in their over-the-top efforts to deliver us the 21st edition of the official Appalachian Trail Guide.

Hippy Kippy, newly elected ALDHA coordinator, made a fun video on using the Thru-hikers' Companion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Just downloaded the 2014 Companion PDF to the iPhone. After locking the orientation to horizontal the book looks FANTABULOUS on the screen. The elevation profiles read easily from left to right!

With an additional link to even more maps for trailhead parking and coordinates, outfitters, post offices and hostels/lodging at ALDHA Companion Online, 19 new town maps, and the revision of the previous town maps I must say THANK YOU to both Sly and Brian for pulling everyone and everything together in their over-the-top efforts to deliver us the 21st edition of the official Appalachian Trail Guide.

looks great,sly.great job to everyone involved.
    i now prefer the companion over awol.

One of the last things said in the video -- "All proceeds from the sale of the Companion go back into the Appalachian Trail itself." -- needs to be considered in the purchase decision. Either book will give you the information you need to get down the trail and provide the town info you need to know. One book supports the trail. One supports a private individual.

So, how about those ATC Guide books that are sold with the map sets. What do each of those eleven guide books give you that the Companion doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    So, how about those ATC Guide books that are sold with the map sets. What do each of those eleven guide books give you that the Companion doesn't?
    They'll give more details and trail guidance. Compared to your total pack the weight of the guides isn't much. I'm surprised more hikers don't use them. I think more than anything it comes down to costs and people are looking to thru-hike as cheap as possible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    trail descriptions are in most, some are even on the maps. oh yeah, and their maps,not entirely necessary most of the time except the whites, but its nice to get an idea of the area adjacent to the tral. the guide books do give you a bit more cultural, historical and geological information that doesnt show up in either the at guide or the companion. the atc guides do not give anywhere near as much info on resupply,shuttlers, hostels and other trail services that the other guidebooks do.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    trail descriptions are in most, some are even on the maps. oh yeah, and their maps,not entirely necessary most of the time except the whites, but its nice to get an idea of the area adjacent to the tral. the guide books do give you a bit more cultural, historical and geological information that doesnt show up in either the at guide or the companion. the atc guides do not give anywhere near as much info on resupply,shuttlers, hostels and other trail services that the other guidebooks do.
    The whites are also one of the easiest places to get a free topo map that is accurate because the USGS maps on the free sites are up to date.

How long does it take to get the free pdf file once you order the book?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    The whites are also one of the easiest places to get a free topo map that is accurate because the USGS maps on the free sites are up to date.
    you dont need the topos so much as the trail name changes. the at isnt blazed through much of the whites.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    How long does it take to get the free pdf file once you order the book?
    That's something the ATC does, and I'm not exactly sure but it would be my guess they stick a card in the book, with a specialized url, or a url and a code.

Journal Entries

I recently downloaded the 2014 companion PDF file. I want to thank and congratulate ALDHA and Sly on a phenomenal product. the addition of the elevation profile completes the already best product on the market. the cost was a mere $10 which included a ALDHA membership, A lot of folks work really hard on the product, including all the volunteers and hikers and hostel owners, that pass key information. it's all appreciated. I buy the book every year, I want to thank you all involved, particularly Sly, for a really key component to the thru hikers and section hikers backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Just got mine yesterday. It looks great. The new elevation profiles are a major big deal, and they are well executed -- same scale and distance on each profile so it's easy to compare and plan ahead. Well done!
    The elevation profiles are what made me switch over to the AT guide. I might hvae to reconsider the companion now.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

There is now no reason not to buy the Companion and support the ATC at the same time.

++ New Posts ++