WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Something i noticed when wearing running shorts on the trail.

I got way fewer rashes, bumps, irritations, bites, etc... than i ever did wearing lightweight pants.

Anyone else have similar results?

Images

I eventually switched from "hiking shorts" to shorts with stretch fabric and found them more comfortable and more effortless while hiking and doing climbs and descents. But can't say they reduced rashes, bites, etc. That's where good tight underwear (a la bike shorts) comes in.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I get all kinds of airy relaxation with running shorts while hiking. Sometimes I even go kilt styleee.

Running shorts are a must for me as well!

I only put on hiking pants whwn the weather is bad.. I usually have running shorts or running tigh ts under shorts (in the winter) when hiking.. more freedom less restrictive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm a runner, but I don't know what running shorts are...but then again I'm a fashion neanderthal

I usually wear nylon shorts and I don't get rashes anymore, only because I run virtually everyday, so that area is pretty tough. However, over the summer I noticed that when I run in the same shorts when they are wet I get a very painful rash; so now I run in them wet...no more rashes.

Garlic
    Images

I switched the other way and get no more sunburn, poison ivy, ticks or mosquito bites. To each his/her own, but I'm not sure how wearing shorts can result in fewer bites than wearing trousers.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm assuming you mean the running shorts with a built in liner?

Those leave me with chafing issues on the ole upper thigh. I prefer to wear under armor boxer briefs with hiking shorts. This also makes it easier to keep the outer layer clean and gives me something to wear at night while I wash and dry my undies.

That said, everyone is going to have different preferences. I thought the running shorts would be perfect since I've worn them in lots of distance runs, but I guess hiking is just a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I eventually switched from "hiking shorts" to shorts with stretch fabric and found them more comfortable and more effortless while hiking and doing climbs and descents. But can't say they reduced rashes, bites, etc. That's where good tight underwear (a la bike shorts) comes in.

RainMan

I couldn't agree more, stretch material is amazingly more comfortable.

I've always worn running shorts while hiking. Even underneath lightweight pants they do really well.

the shorter the inseam the better the hike!

Wonder where I could get some shiny extra short ones with stripes circa 1978?

Images

Shiney extra short.....Why right here!!!Asics splits are great. You probably want half splits though. Ful splits go almost up your let to your hip.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Asic...ge-AMISIP.html
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

-

I have noticed when I wear no shorts on the trail, I get a lot of strange looks - especially in winter

I guess some folks just do not appreciate nature

Images

More ventilation means less moisture, and then less fungal growth. Aside from fewer bug bites, it totally makes sense. I've been planning to switch to a kilt at some point soon. Okay, I've been saying that since a hike a couple years ago when I dropped my full length pants to air out my boxer briefs. The ventilation was glorious. I hope it's like that all the time with a kilt.

This is what I hike in unless it is very cold.

++ New Posts ++