WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sawyer mini filter + Aqua Mira = the best combo for thru hike water treatment?

Don't need anything else like a steripen, correct? Thanks

Goji

Why are you carrying both?

Thought filter it first and then chemical treat it

Goji

If you like, but it's not necessary. You can strain it through something if the water is murky, but otherwise just chemical treatment is perfectly adequate.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 12-20-2013 at 20:12.

Journal Entries

I like the idea of both, but will sub bleach for Aqua Mira.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Blech. Bleach makes me a lot more uncomfortable than chlorine dioxide.

Filter removes all protozoans and bacteria. It will not remove viruses, but could possibly improve the taste of water from some sources.
    The chemical treatment kills protozoans, bacteria, and viruses.

Both are not necessary. You can always boil water as an emergency backup, if necessary.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Take one or the other. Otherwise you are in a belt and suspenders situation.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Filter removes all protozoans and bacteria. It will not remove viruses, but could possibly improve the taste of water from some sources.
    The chemical treatment kills protozoans, bacteria, and viruses.

Both are not necessary. You can always boil water as an emergency backup, if necessary.
    +1 on this, except where certain type of cysts are a problem, but this is not an issue on the AT. Viruses are not an issue in normal AT water supplies. Anything that will kill or remove bacteria and giardia will work fine for the AT (crypto is generally not an issue either, but chemicals take hours to kill them if you are worried).

Chemical treatments take time to work, filters are not much good if they freeze. Pick one based on your needs. You can always keep a few Aquamira tabs in your first-aid kit for an emergency if you use a filter and are worried about a particular water supply, or like said above, you can just boil it since you will most likely have a stove anyway.

I am uber cautious about water, and I only take one or the other (or more likely my Steripen if I know it is going below freezing).

When I've taken a filter, I've always taken chemical backup (me or someone in my party). I've had a filter crap out on me a couple of times over the years. If I take Aguamira only, I pay attention to how tightly the tops are screwed on. They will leak on you if you're not careful.

On my AT hike, I used Aguamira exclusively for the entire hike. Worked. Occasionally had some 'tinted' water. If I were to do the AT again, I'd use Aguamira again but possible take a few chemical tablets as a backup for a couple of days. Murphy's Law.

How many people got sick from a norovirus last year?? Sound like doubling up just might be so stupid !!
    Yea and wash your hands !!

I read (sorry I can't remember where) that the Sawyer filter will clean everything out of the water except for viruses. In the same article, it mentioned most of our water sources in the US do not have viruses. Viruses are more of a concern in a third world country. I am certainly not a scientist, but I would assume if you are choosing good water sources, a Sawyer filter would be enough to keep you safe. I also agree with everyone else regarding hand washing. Dirty hands have to be a much larger cause of illness than water sources.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Both have their pros and cons. If you need water right now a filter, but it takes a certain amount of labor to fill & squeeze, fill & squeeze, and keeping it from freezing takes a certain amount of constant attention. and if it does freeze it's ruined. Aqua mira takes time of sitting around. But if you pull into camp fill you bottles etc. tab them let them sit while you set up you tent etc., when finished your water will be ready to cook with, less labor time . same thing for morning A few things are so important that a backup is reasonable, clean water is one of those.

Images

Carrying both is the worst of both worlds. Heavy finicky filter plus you have to wait to drink. Pick one and go.

I don't really see the issue with the treatment time for Aqua Mira. You give it 5 minutes for the chemicals to react (skipped if you premix), and the remaining time can pass while you walk. Drink as you hike once the time has passed, and finish any water you have as you come up to the water source. There's far -less- time involved than if you were filtering.

In general I'm not in favor of redundancy in backpacking gear, but I think some redundancy in water treatment may not be a bad idea.

Filters break, Aqua Mira bottles leak and it can be hard to know if you've got enough Aqua Mira to make it to your next resupply (I've run into all three problems.) A Sawyer mini weighs about 2 oz, as does the two Aqua Mira bottles. I carry two mini lighters because they are very light and very important. I like the idea of carrying both the Sawyer mini and Aqua Mira for the same reasons. 2 oz worth of insurance is well worth it to me. In practice I'd use only one or the other unless I had reason to believe the water was particularly nasty.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Take one or the other. Otherwise you are in a belt and suspenders situation.
    Agree that its belt and suspenders ...

I've been filtering and treating, and have been wondering if treating then filtering is any different. Just wondering.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

If using aquamira as a backup, consider the tablets. They weigh very little and can't spill. Yes they cost more per treatment but as a backup, this isn't such a big deal. I use the full size Sawyer with aquamira tablets as a backup when I expect temps above freezing. For below freezing temps, I use aquamira drops.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I've been filtering and treating, and have been wondering if treating then filtering is any different. Just wondering.
    Certainly all the vendors of chemical treatments recommend higher concentrations and/or longer contact times for turbid water, so prefiltering to remove turbidity would probably make your chemical treatment more effective.

I don't go to that great an extent, despite being a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy. I carry a Sawyer Mini, and Aqua Mira in case the Mini cracks or freezes. Sometimes I use the Aqua Mira because I don't mind waiting for it to work but don't feel like sitting around squeezing at a water bag. I like to make sure I treat with it at least every few days so that the inside of my water bladder or soft-sided bottles gets a good exposure to the chlorine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++