WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru Hike Gear List

I've almost decided to try to complete a thru hike in the summer of 2015 and I was wodnering what gear I need to upgrade and what gear is fine as is.
    I didn't include any clothing or food because I don't have any that'd "make the cut". Is there anything I'm missing or should look at upgrading(besides the tarp, I know it's awful).

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16494

Thanks in advance,
    Wolf

Images

Mora Companion - more knife than you need esp at 5oz. Get a smaller 1 oz knife like a Gerber LST.
    UST Strikeforce - 3.4 oz - not needed. Lighter is instant flame which is what you need, no need for spark and tinder survival fire starting on the AT.
    First aid kit - pretty heavy at 8 oz. Cut it down to 4 oz or less. Leukotape and even duct tape works better than moleskin/molefoam IMO. Unless you have medical necessaries that need to be carried, you need to be able to close wounds(duct tape for big ones, bandaid or mini superglue-newskin for small ones), remove ticks and splinters (tweezers), drain blisters (needle), and keep toe nails trimmed. You can't maintain sterility in the woods or treat illnesses, so anything major you get off the trail and get medical assistance in town.
    Sunto M3G - more compass than you need, could save 1 oz here by substituting a mini.
    Screw locking carabiner - 3 oz - what for?

There's almost a pound right there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Mora Companion - more knife than you need esp at 5oz. Get a smaller 1 oz knife like a Gerber LST.
    UST Strikeforce - 3.4 oz - not needed. Lighter is instant flame which is what you need, no need for spark and tinder survival fire starting on the AT.
    First aid kit - pretty heavy at 8 oz. Cut it down to 4 oz or less. Leukotape and even duct tape works better than moleskin/molefoam IMO. Unless you have medical necessaries that need to be carried, you need to be able to close wounds(duct tape for big ones, bandaid or mini superglue-newskin for small ones), remove ticks and splinters (tweezers), drain blisters (needle), and keep toe nails trimmed. You can't maintain sterility in the woods or treat illnesses, so anything major you get off the trail and get medical assistance in town.
    Sunto M3G - more compass than you need, could save 1 oz here by substituting a mini.
    Screw locking carabiner - 3 oz - what for?

There's almost a pound right there.
    The carabiner will go. Ill go through the first aid kit and try to slim it down a bit. What it has in it right now is an array of bandaids, butterfly closures, neosporin, ibuprofen, tweezers, a few needles, and duct tape(just added the duct tape)

I know it should be easy to navigate the trail without the need for a compass but having a high quality compass really gives me a sense of security if anything goes wrong.

Speaking of the ferro rod, Ill give up two ounces for it as im used to it and dont have to worry about fuel, Ill defiantly consoder a smaller one tho

The mora knife is a bit much, i have a couple smaller knives that I could replace it with. Id like to be able to do a little bit of whittling on the trail with the little bit of spare time I have, what knife would you recommend for a sturdy yet light knife?

Sleeping bag. You can get much lighter ones.

Upgrade your sleeping pad. Even to a newer CCF, like the Ridge Rest or Z-rest. Lighter, and (judging on the old descriptor) better insulation for the cold nights.

You could consider a lighter pack.

You could consider going to an alcohol stove.

Elsewise, 4eyed covered the rest pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by DatWolf View Post
    The mora knife is a bit much, i have a couple smaller knives that I could replace it with. Id like to be able to do a little bit of whittling on the trail with the little bit of spare time I have, what knife would you recommend for a sturdy yet light knife?
    Victornox Swiss Army Classic should do all you need. If you want something with a slightly bigger blade for hobby work, look into one of the slightly larger sized, but still simple Swiss Army models, or maybe a light Opinel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DatWolf View Post
    The carabiner will go. Ill go through the first aid kit and try to slim it down a bit. What it has in it right now is an array of bandaids, butterfly closures, neosporin, ibuprofen, tweezers, a few needles, and duct tape(just added the duct tape)

I know it should be easy to navigate the trail without the need for a compass but having a high quality compass really gives me a sense of security if anything goes wrong.

Speaking of the ferro rod, Ill give up two ounces for it as im used to it and dont have to worry about fuel, Ill defiantly consoder a smaller one tho

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post

Upgrade your sleeping pad. Even to a newer CCF, like the Ridge Rest or Z-rest. Lighter, and (judging on the old descriptor) better insulation for the cold nights.

Just suggestions. If you like to whittle then you take the bigger knife. Everyone has there comfort, security, and luxury items. 1 or 2 or 3 or . . . lbs won't make or break a hike. But less is less, and it's amazing how all the little things add up. Saving an ounce here and two there on almost every item - and it can amount to several pounds. But, you are out there to enjoy it and have fun. So don't leave behind stuff that you'll really miss either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post

The pack is fairly new, it was the most comforable I tried on and it comfortably carried 30lbs so Ill probably stick with it.

Sleeping bag wise, Ive consider upgrading but the cost to upgrade to something like enlightened equiptment quilt is just too high.

The sleeping pad is defiantly something i need to look at as being cold is something i really dont want to have to deal with.

What alcohol stove would you recommend and would a DIY one work? What non DIY models do you recommend?

Hammockgear.com makes cheaper quilts if your looking for a quilt, and they are better quality IMO.

Almost any alcohol stove will work. You have two choices, either DIY one or make one. Both or easy. Making one yourself typically takes anywhere from 1 minute to an hour depending on the complexity. Cost is anywhere from free to a few dollars. DIY alcohol stoves work just fine.

If you want to buy one, check out zelph stoveworks. Cheap, and awesomely made products that work great. I have DIYed several stoves, and bough several from zelph. I prefer the ones from zelph. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You might want to consider a fully enclosed UL tent instead of a tarp. Since you're starting in the summer I'm assuming you're going SOBO. The bugs are bad in Maine that time of year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

There are many, many, many designs of alcohol stoves. The Fancy Feast (or cat can) design is very simple, and popular. The penny stove works well also, though requires a pot stand (generally). There are permutations and variations through the spectrum. Do some quick searches on Google and YouTube, and kick back with your favorite beverage.

If it's the pack you like, go with it, was just pointing out that it's heavy.

There are options to upgrade your sleeping bag that won't break the bank. REI Outlet, Sierra Trading Post, Ebay, Craigslist, REI Garage Sales, and many others. You can save a lot in weight (and I am pretty sure bulk too) in that one item, and perhaps versatility, comfort, and warmth.

Reducing packweight can be done easily. Sometimes it doesn't cost much (don't take something; or you find something that is inexpensive). Sometimes it does (top of the line down sleeping bag/quilt or a new pack). Generally, I'd look at the items that weigh the most and see what is possible to reduce the weight of that item. Determine your budget for new stuff. You've got a long time until 2015. You can acquire quite a bit of new stuff if you're frugal and save like crazy. Your age isn't listed on your initial post. Doesn't hurt to ask Santa Claus for Gift Cards to REI or EMS. You can request them for upcoming birthdays, graduations, etc. This would defray some of your costs.

The cheap Walmart tarp will undoubtedly weigh more than a pound. A 8 X 10' silnylon tarp would weigh close to that. When the bugs are bad, it is nice to be able to get into a bug-free environment for the night.

My suggested gear replacement order would be:
    1. Down sleeping bag/quilt; 2 lbs (32 oz) would be the absolute highest weight; 20 deg rating for a typical NoBo hike in the beginning
    2. Backpack; 50 L or so; 2 1/2 lbs or so;
    3. Tent; around 2 lbs or so; lots of different tarp tent styles out there
    4. Sleeping pad; 1 lb or less; R-value around 3 or so; obviously, the colder the temp and/or the colder you sleep, the higher the R-Value should be.

On your other smaller gear, examine each item w/ a critical eye. Do I really need this or do I just want it? Is there something that can replace it that weighs less? Can that item do double duty?

For example, the compass. I carried the lightest, protractor compass I could. I would never go backpacking w/o a protractor compass. I think mine weighed 0.7 oz. I never used it. I carried some maps at the beginning but quickly sent them home. I later picked up a map of the Whites when I got to NH. I needed a map there. I never had to put the compass to the map to figure out which way to go at a trail junction.

You weight for your paracord is pretty heavy - 5 oz. You could easily cut 3 oz or more from that (I used a cord & cuben fiber rock bag from Z-packs that was really light).

Alcohol stove vs cannister stoves? This may be a wash, weight-wise in the long run. The alcohol stove stove set up weighs less but the inefficient fuel use over time make cannister stoves a viable option. But, alcohol fuel seems easier to find. I used a Fancee Feast alcohol stove from Zelph. Liked it. But, I'd probably carry a canister stove if I were to do it again. I was envious of those hikers who had their Jet-Boil stoves. Super fast & used very little fuel per boil. In fact, I did a little test with my JetBoil stove when I got back on my thu-hike to see how efficient it would be. I posted it in a thread on Whiteblaze. I'll be damned if I can find it. This info is a study on fuel usage that might be worth reading: http://thru-hiker.com/articles/stove...ime_28days.php

Like I like to preach to my Scouts in my Venture Crew: Ounces become pounds... and pounds become pain. The AT is really a difficult trail. The lighter you can go & still remain safe, warm, & comfortable, the better. Good luck in your planning phase & then enjoy your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Reducing packweight can be done easily. Sometimes it doesn't cost much (don't take something; or you find something that is inexpensive). Sometimes it does (top of the line down sleeping bag/quilt or a new pack). Generally, I'd look at the items that weigh the most and see what is possible to reduce the weight of that item. Determine your budget for new stuff. You've got a long time until 2015. You can acquire quite a bit of new stuff if you're frugal and save like crazy. Your age isn't listed on your initial post. Doesn't hurt to ask Santa Claus for Gift Cards to REI or EMS. You can request them for upcoming birthdays, graduations, etc. This would defray some of your costs.

The cheap Walmart tarp will undoubtedly weigh more than a pound. A 8 X 10' silnylon tarp would weigh close to that. When the bugs are bad, it is nice to be able to get into a bug-free environment for the night.

My suggested gear replacement order would be:
    1. Down sleeping bag/quilt; 2 lbs (32 oz) would be the absolute highest weight; 20 deg rating for a typical NoBo hike in the beginning
    2. Backpack; 50 L or so; 2 1/2 lbs or so;
    3. Tent; around 2 lbs or so; lots of different tarp tent styles out there
    4. Sleeping pad; 1 lb or less; R-value around 3 or so; obviously, the colder the temp and/or the colder you sleep, the higher the R-Value should be.

On your other smaller gear, examine each item w/ a critical eye. Do I really need this or do I just want it? Is there something that can replace it that weighs less? Can that item do double duty?

For example, the compass. I carried the lightest, protractor compass I could. I would never go backpacking w/o a protractor compass. I think mine weighed 0.7 oz. I never used it. I carried some maps at the beginning but quickly sent them home. I later picked up a map of the Whites when I got to NH. I needed a map there. I never had to put the compass to the map to figure out which way to go at a trail junction.

You weight for your paracord is pretty heavy - 5 oz. You could easily cut 3 oz or more from that (I used a cord & cuben fiber rock bag from Z-packs that was really light).

Alcohol stove vs cannister stoves? This may be a wash, weight-wise in the long run. The alcohol stove stove set up weighs less but the inefficient fuel use over time make cannister stoves a viable option. But, alcohol fuel seems easier to find. I used a Fancee Feast alcohol stove from Zelph. Liked it. But, I'd probably carry a canister stove if I were to do it again. I was envious of those hikers who had their Jet-Boil stoves. Super fast & used very little fuel per boil. In fact, I did a little test with my JetBoil stove when I got back on my thu-hike to see how efficient it would be. I posted it in a thread on Whiteblaze. I'll be damned if I can find it. This info is a study on fuel usage that might be worth reading: xs

Like I like to preach to my Scouts in my Venture Crew: Ounces become pounds... and pounds become pain. The AT is really a difficult trail. The lighter you can go & still remain safe, warm, & comfortable, the better. Good luck in your planning phase & then enjoy your hike.
    I am definitely cosidering upgrading the sleeping bag, tarp (to a tent), and the sleeping pad, but I'll probably keep the pack the same.

Sleeping bag wise I worry about down since if it gets wet its useless. I know I'll be keeping it in a dry sack and it should be waterproof but the possibility scares me. Are there any nice synthetoc bags thatd be worth me upgrading to?

A tent seems to be almost mandatory, but I was wondering if i could get by with a tarp. Weight wise and with shelters a tarp seems like it might do the job, but Im not sure.

Thanks for your help,
    Wolf

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...0-gr-canister)

I found this... is this what you were looking for CarlZ993?

++ New Posts ++