WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: newby

Default newby

Want to hammock. What do I need to get set up? Have a cheap hammock from campmor.
    Rented in .GA & had a hard time finding a flat spot.
    Any diy ideas for uq etc?
    Tutorials or links?

Check out hammockforums.net lots of info there

Quote Originally Posted by GrandCanyonWildflowr View Post
    Want to hammock. What do I need to get set up? Have a cheap hammock from campmor.
    Tutorials or links?
    There's a Youtube video series by fellow called "Shug". Watch these videos first as they'll cover just about everything. Use what Shug says as the litmus test for everything else forum-dwellers tell you as there is a lot of chaff.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I'll 2nd the Hammock Forums website & Shug's (also a Hammock Forums member) YouTube videos......a ton of knowledge there. There is also a good book by Ed Speer called "Hammock Camping" that has some good info. With these resources, you'll be hanging in comfort.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images

Tutorials or links?
    Definitely agree with joining hammockforums.net and Shug (if not just for the entertainment value), but expect a bit of a learning curve as they speak a foreign language with words like whoopie slings, structural ridgelines, different knots, and such. That said it is a great place to learn.
    You don't need an underquilt for most 3 season hiking, a modified foam pad (like a 25" wide WM blue pad) will usually work okay for bottom insulation down to 40° - 50° depending on the wind and if you are a warm or cold sleeper. It needs to be wide enough in the shoulders to prevent the hammock from compressing your sleeping bag or top quilt. Most will tell you that UQ's are more comfortable though, but that having a pad gives you the ability to go to ground if necessary, so it's a trade off. Plenty of examples of all that on hammockforums too.
    Can't say I understand the "had a hard time finding a flat spot" comment. One of the advantages of a hammock is that you can set it up on uneven terrain. All you need are two decent trees about 16 feet apart. Just don't fall down the hill when getting up to answer nature's call in the middle of the night .

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Can't say I understand the "had a hard time finding a flat spot" comment. One of the advantages of a hammock is that you can set it up on uneven terrain. All you need are two decent trees about 16 feet apart. Just don't fall down the hill when getting up to answer nature's call in the middle of the night .
    I think they meant they "tented" (not 'rented') in GA. Even then, there are decent campsites everywhere. If you don't end up hanging, get The AT guide and it lists a LOT of them.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

When you start with Shug's videos, start with part 1 in his "Hammock Hangin' How-To" series.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I think they meant they "tented" (not 'rented') in GA. Even then, there are decent campsites everywhere. If you don't end up hanging, get The AT guide and it lists a LOT of them.
    DUH! I should have caught that from the context.

Any thoughts on this? https://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40690
    Will it replace an underquilt?
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Journal Entries

HYOH, and chose your own shelter, but no problem at all finding flat spots for tenting on the AT, well sometimes you may find yourself slid'ed down to one side of your tent, but really for over 2000 miles never has been a issue. That said many hammock hangers love their shelter.

What you linked to is what Hammockforums folk call an SPE. It basically keeps a pad from slipping around the hammock. It wont keep you warm by itself, you'll need a pad to go with it. That being said, if you use a pad, as long as its rated for the temperature you're sleeping in, will work instead of an underquilt. Most hammockers start out with a pad, because of the cost of underquilts. Although after saving my pennies, I would never go back to pads!
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Thank you so much for the info. Its like a new language. Hiked four extra miles one day looking for a flat tent site.
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

NO it will not
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Have you watched Shug's video series? He covers that.

Here is a link to Shug's 11-part Hammock how-to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...qPqahPR_yGzN_2
    Shug is a former Barnum and Bailey's clown and is a professional entertainer, so his videos are both informative and entertaining.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post
    NO it will not
    Not sure why you're answering that so definitively. I used a SPE for a while and it was just fine in terms of bottom and side insulation. Of course, its used with a pad which is a little tricky to get right in a hammock. Both pad and UQ are bottom insulation, so I think the answer to the OPs question is YES, you can use this product (with a pad) instead of an UQ. For many folks starting out who already have pads for sleeping on the ground, this is the best use of funds. But UQ's are the way to go - start saving now.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

To the original poster hammocks add an extra level of complexity to your shelter. If you don't sleep well on the ground a hammock could change your camping experience for the better. You have to be willing to experiment and spend a little money. I started out using the cheap CCF pad from wallyworld I bought for ground camping. It was an inexpensive way to test hammock camping. My first night in the hammock was fidgety but far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. I eventually invested in an under quilt and continued using my sleeping bag for top insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Not sure why you're answering that so definitively. I used a SPE for a while and it was just fine in terms of bottom and side insulation. Of course, its used with a pad which is a little tricky to get right in a hammock. Both pad and UQ are bottom insulation, so I think the answer to the OPs question is YES, you can use this product (with a pad) instead of an UQ. For many folks starting out who already have pads for sleeping on the ground, this is the best use of funds. But UQ's are the way to go - start saving now.
    The SPE alone will not replace an underquilt. The SPE must be used in conjunction with a pad. It's not clear if the OP knows this or not. Also if the OP intends to use a hammock on the AT in early spring it's unlikely the SPE+ inexpensive CCF pad will provide sufficient warmth. Warmth is highly subjective. 45f is the very lower limit I can go with a cheap CCF pad + 15f top quilt and still get reasonable sleep.

Another resource is the book "The Ultimate Hang; An Illustrated Guide to Hammock Camping" by Derek Hansen. The companion website is http://theultimatehang.com, where there's lots of information available for free.

--Peter

I am a member of Hammock Forums and I would agree with the others start out by joining that forum all your questions will be answered, so much info on that site it's un real.. Shug videos is a must you will learn so much by watching his videos... Entertaining for sure!!!!! As far as UQ goes you can get dry down and your outer layer will or should have A DWR finish on it protecting u from condensation. I have never had an issue with condensation even when I did a coastal hike on the Pacific Northwest Coast. Again check out Hammockforums.com its a wonderful community to be part of... Just like White Blaze so much info on the AT...

++ New Posts ++