WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ll bean cresta boots

does any one have any experience with these brand of boots. the reviews seem good and the price point seems really good.

Images

I like a lot of LLBeans stuff, pretty well made usually, and if I don't like it I can return it no questions asked. I had a pair of their "Trail Model low hikers" and the soles were amongst the best for grip on rocks.
    Two comments:
    Those are heavy leather boots, require breaking in, and are "waterproof". There's an old adage, "a pound on your feet equals five pounds on your back". Heavy boots can tire the legs. The ankle protection heavy boots supposedly provide is a hotly debated topic. Being "waterproof" also means that once wet (and they will become wet on other than short section hikes) they will be very difficult to dry out under trail conditions compared to a lighter weight non-waterproof hiking shoe.

Default ll bean cresta boots

my issue is that i walk with the ball of my foot striking first, so after a few miles of rocks i am nearly crippled without proper protection

Images

I used these for years as my winter hiking boots. If they fit well and meet your needs they are a good boot. They are hot in the summer and they do take a long time to dry just like any old school leather boot.

I have a pair, and they are nearly indestructible. Excellent rock/stone protection. Haven't worn them in quite some time, since my "heavy" boot is an Asolo Fugitive GTX.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I have a pair, and they are nearly indestructible. Excellent rock/stone protection. Haven't worn them in quite some time, since my "heavy" boot is an Asolo Fugitive GTX.
    That's funny, that is what I replaced mine with
    Last edited by bfayer; 12-22-2013 at 21:07.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I used this way back when (including the Long Trail and a little more than half the AT). Beautiful, finely crafted boots.

Probably a bit overkill for any well maintained trail hiking, though.

If you want to hike in boots, there are some lighter options that may be better suited for something like the Appalachian Trail.

Just my .05 worth.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wore them in the Smokies many years ago and they did a great job in heavy wet snow and slippery rocks. I sent them home once through that frozen mess. The boots have held up over the years and I still use them on very rocky weekend hikes. Now for most sections of the AT, I use trail runners which have worked well and much lighter. Can't wait till spring, life is good on the trail........swamp dawg

I had a pair that I ended up retuning because the speed lace eyelets at the top of the boots kept getting bent closed over the laces. They seemed too weak for their purpose. The soles of the boots are also really hard and dont grip on bare rock very well, especially if that rock happens to be wet. :>(

++ New Posts ++