WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Hi im Eric. Just joined so ive been lurking around quite a bit. Im hoping to do some hiking on the AT in march.

Images

Hello Hikermom, quite a little thread you got going on here. It sort of taken on wings and soared.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Omgosh.. I remember that as well.... "the shadow knows".... LOL! I just googled... I remember hearing about that TV show but I never watched it. I remembered the radio show.. the shadow knows..

Thanks for popping on here, imscotty. I've "seen" you around. Nice to get to know you! If you can pull off from Springer to Damascus hike... you'll love it. I hope you can!
    I wasn't allowed to watch it but I would sneak and watch it when I could. Yeah I know that doesn't make sense. Why watch a show if it gives me nightmares? I was a kid so..........

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hi Hiker Mom..Ive been lurking here for a couple of years now, So I guess its about time I introduce myself. Im Tom aka Geo( Im really into geology) I live in Columbus, Ga and am geared up and ready for a March 15 start of my thru. Finding it hard to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by psyon27 View Post
    Hello!
    Been lurking on here for a few months now, absorbing as much as I can. Stationed at Ft Meade, which is a new environment since I'm Active Duty Air Force. Originally from Upstate New York.

Most of my camping has been car camping as a Boy Scout. Looking to go lighter to get further into the woods! Lots of great info on here. Would like to try a through of the AT when I get out of the military, as I can't exactly get 6 months off until I do lol. In the meantime I plan on slowly regearing and trying small hikes to work myself up to some of the smaller long trails (ie. Long Trail, 100 Mile Wilderness, small sections of the AT).

Ken

Hi Ken. I'm a former active duty zoomie. What, may I enqiure, do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Hello Hikermom, quite a little thread you got going on here. It sort of taken on wings and soared.
    Thanks johnnybgood! It's the MEMBER'S thread! We own it- We are awesome!

Thanks all for introducing yourselves... it's FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by geomaniac View Post
    Hi Hiker Mom..Ive been lurking here for a couple of years now, So I guess its about time I introduce myself. Im Tom aka Geo( Im really into geology) I live in Columbus, Ga and am geared up and ready for a March 15 start of my thru. Finding it hard to wait!
    Hi geomaniac... Why yes, I would say its about time! I like geology better than biology.. I do like it! . :>)

Congrats on you upcoming hike! If you have a journal or online blog, feel free to post it here. We love to live vicariously through AT hikers. We all try to get out & hike ourselves every now & then!

Welcome in....

Thanks for your service psyon27 and 2ndCharter!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-14-2014 at 14:58. Reason: mispelling...

Hi HikeMom,

Moved to Copper Hill, Virginia this year. Sectioned hiked over 95% of the AT from the late 70's until the summer of 2012. It was a great adventure.
    The changes in the hiker gear were most interesting to watch over the last 30 years. The one item everyone packed and shared was a bar of soap to rub on the bottom of the cook pots. Many people in the 70's/early 80's rubbed the bottom of their pots before cooking to help with clean up of soot. A fire was made for everyone to cook, coals from the fire moved to the side with cook grates at many fire rings... the soap was handed around for all. Many a time you could walk up to a shelter and find a bar of soap.
    The other thing I remember was we all wore flannel and wool...and carried big canteens....my first hiking bag was a WWII down army bag from my Great Uncle. I gave that up for his wool army blanket after the down was soaked. It is hard to believe at 18 I could fit in that thing with another person;-) with snow on the ground and wrapped heated rocks keeping two silly heads in a make shift lean-to warm.
    oh well..;-)
    In planning my hikes I was always appreciative of the people who would shuttle me so I could hike back to my car. Virginia, 541 miles, took me five years to do. Now that I am retired...and no longer backpack.. except winter...I thought I would try my hand at shuttling north and south of Roanoke. That would include the part of the AT on the Parkway. I enjoy driving...since I drove back and forth from SC to the trail until I got part way into MA...then I flew...love the woods, do not mind sitting with a good book and some trail magic on the side of the AT waiting. ...so If anyone needs a shuttle and we can schedule it...I am going to try my hand at it and see how it goes... contact - [email protected]
    Treehuggerva

Quote Originally Posted by Treehuggerva View Post
    Hi HikeMom,

Moved to Copper Hill, Virginia this year. Sectioned hiked over 95% of the AT from the late 70's until the summer of 2012. It was a great adventure.
    The changes in the hiker gear were most interesting to watch over the last 30 years. The one item everyone packed and shared was a bar of soap to rub on the bottom of the cook pots. Many people in the 70's/early 80's rubbed the bottom of their pots before cooking to help with clean up of soot. A fire was made for everyone to cook, coals from the fire moved to the side with cook grates at many fire rings... the soap was handed around for all. Many a time you could walk up to a shelter and find a bar of soap.
    The other thing I remember was we all wore flannel and wool...and carried big canteens....my first hiking bag was a WWII down army bag from my Great Uncle. I gave that up for his wool army blanket after the down was soaked. It is hard to believe at 18 I could fit in that thing with another person;-) with snow on the ground and wrapped heated rocks keeping two silly heads in a make shift lean-to warm.
    oh well..;-)
    In planning my hikes I was always appreciative of the people who would shuttle me so I could hike back to my car. Virginia, 541 miles, took me five years to do. Now that I am retired...and no longer backpack.. except winter...I thought I would try my hand at shuttling north and south of Roanoke. That would include the part of the AT on the Parkway. I enjoy driving...since I drove back and forth from SC to the trail until I got part way into MA...then I flew...love the woods, do not mind sitting with a good book and some trail magic on the side of the AT waiting. ...so If anyone needs a shuttle and we can schedule it...I am going to try my hand at it and see how it goes... contact - [email protected]
    Treehuggerva
    Wow, Treehuggerva.. your post is MOST interesting. I bet others will enjoy you sharing about, hiking back in the day, as much as I did.

By all means you can help out with shuttles in the area. We can work together on that! I will tell you that a lot of hikers need a ride back and forth to Damascus for Trail Days. I will be hiking myself again this year, so I can't offer rides. Maybe you would be interested in helping out.

Section hikers need shuttles all the time in this area.

If you enjoy doing it, you should put your name in, at Outdoor Trails, in Daleville too. I don't have mine there. I just shuttle people through word of mouth. I like doing it, like that. Nice to meet you!

I have lurked around here a few years, and only recently felt the urge to post anything. I also hope to finish PA this spring, starting North from the trailhead just south of Darlington shelter. I have hiked the AT between Springer Mountain and there, plus NJ, over the last three years. My yo-yo from Pen-Mar to HF and back is my only lightweight backpacking experience, with a cheap book bag as my frameless pack. If you see me, I will probably have an Osprey Exos58, Merrell Moab Ventilator footwear, a rolled up CCF pad, and an alcohol stove of my own design. I was never drafted and never volunteered for military service, respecting my parents' wishes and following my natural inclinations. I am grateful to all who have served. My small contribution to my country is software I wrote and/or maintained for the Army, Navy, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. I currently risk my life and health volunteering for phase 1 clinical trials, which leaves me some free time to hike. I pay for my hiking with my own blood.

2ndcharter, SATCOM technician, also some airfield systems experience.

Hikermom, thanks for the support!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    My crazy husband spends most of his time barking at the moon, but not in the way you mean. LOL.

BTW, is your "12th man" a Seahawks reference?
    Minda ; dearest darling 12TH Man , refers to the one and only 12T Man. TEXAS A&M, College Station, Texas.

Seahawks and fans are wannabees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StovieWander View Post
    I have lurked around here a few years, and only recently felt the urge to post anything. I also hope to finish PA this spring, starting North from the trailhead just south of Darlington shelter. I have hiked the AT between Springer Mountain and there, plus NJ, over the last three years. My yo-yo from Pen-Mar to HF and back is my only lightweight backpacking experience, with a cheap book bag as my frameless pack. If you see me, I will probably have an Osprey Exos58, Merrell Moab Ventilator footwear, a rolled up CCF pad, and an alcohol stove of my own design. I was never drafted and never volunteered for military service, respecting my parents' wishes and following my natural inclinations. I am grateful to all who have served. My small contribution to my country is software I wrote and/or maintained for the Army, Navy, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. I currently risk my life and health volunteering for phase 1 clinical trials, which leaves me some free time to hike. I pay for my hiking with my own blood.
    Well, we have something in common right away. I, too, am planning on finishing up PA this spring. (May) We are starting at the 501 shelter & heading north towards all the rocks.

My daughter has done from Springer all the way to 501 shelter in PA skipped NJ & most of NY but has knocked out all of CT & MA.
    Then, it's on to VT, NH and ME... I tagged along for part of her hike. If she'll have me, I want to complete the rest of it with her... I'm excited!

Interesting way to pay for ur hiking. WElCOME StovieWander... I'm glad you came out of the shadows.. nice to have you here!

Hi Mom.
    Always glad to see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by 12TH Man View Post
    Hi Mom.
    Always glad to see your post.
    Hi 12TH Man... right back at ya!

I would be glad to provide shuttles to Damascus for Trail Days. Keep in touch and enjoy your hike.

Your joy of the AT shines in your posts so...I share one of my many quotes collected while hiking just for you.

"It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy."
    Horace Kephart Camping and Woodcraft 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Treehuggerva View Post
    I would be glad to provide shuttles to Damascus for Trail Days. Keep in touch and enjoy your hike.

Your joy of the AT shines in your posts so...I share one of my many quotes collected while hiking just for you.

"It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy."
    Horace Kephart Camping and Woodcraft 1917
    We'll keep in touch! I love that quote!! Thanks so much!

Hello HikerMom

Joined the site when I moved to Tennessee and rekindled the urge to attempt the Trail.

Guess I'm a lurker. Solo hike mostly, so it is hard to get info from fellow hikers.

The site has been a big help in gearing up.

Retired once from the Air Force and excited about fully retiring again in July.

Planning to go Southbound ( solo of course...) for 2015.

Spatchka is from ' A Clockwork Orange' meaning ' to sleep '. Got the trail name while hiking in Wales.
    " There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock ."

NICE Spatchka...I'd love to visit and hike in the UK!! Welcome in.... hang out with us until ur hike next year & congrats on ur second retirement in July!

Quote Originally Posted by HarderthanNails View Post
    Hey all, im Jackson. Im 16 years old and planing a thru hike for 2015. Gota start planning early because of school. Live up in the white mountains plenty of hiking up here!! Hope to see some people on the trail!
    Hey ! Someone close to my age!! I'm planning for my thru to be in 2017 when I graduate! It would be awesome to talk To you about the trail and backpacking since your only a year older then me!!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hi 12TH Man... right back at ya!
    Life goes the way life goes. Strange being that I am; Thinking about buying a new piper cub.

I've probably got a hundred landings at ROA.

You have been a doll Thank you.

Carl

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++