WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ice Storm

Default Ice Storm

While we missed the worst of the ice storm here in NH, (Northen Maine got really hammered), we still got a significant icing event. I think we got more today then yesterday.

So, if anyone is planing on visting the White Mountains this holiday weekend, be sure to bring your spikes! A chainsaw might be handy too If your going sking, make sure your edges are nice and sharp!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Still raining here in central Maine. still freezing on trees. Just had a big ole branch fall out back. We aint outta the woods yet!

Images

Buzzy, you still have power? We got out of it pretty easy.
    Greg P.

Ya i only lost power for about an hour on monday luckily, I live fairly close to a hospital and a nursing home and street lights oh and a cmp headquaters. I know quite a few people that weren't so lucky though. But we got some great neighbors to the south of us that came up on Christmas! Everybody is thankful for that!

I spent 5 years between Saratoga, NY and Groton, CT while in the Navy and I constantly got hammered by the locals about why we (Southerners) cleaned out the grocery stores whenever winter weather was in the forecast.....now you know. We get ice storms MUCH more often than we get snow and even then our snow events usually turn into ice events. Nothing quite like sitting on the porch watching the big blue light show as the transformers blow one by one

Here's to hoping your power comes back on soon, but hey, who better to tough out a power outage than hikers!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Location, location, location! In central Vermont, we got no ice at all, but there's a pretty sharp line from the main ridge of the Green Mtns west to the Champlain Valley where everything got a heavy coating of ice., with trees down and power out.

We here in the south also don't typically have the snow plow equipment that you have up north. Thus, when we get snow and then people drive on it a while, it turns icy and dangerous. We have it rarely, but when we do, it does become problematic quickly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    We here in the south also don't typically have the snow plow equipment that you have up north. Thus, when we get snow and then people drive on it a while, it turns icy and dangerous. We have it rarely, but when we do, it does become problematic quickly.
    Yeah, two weeks ago in Dallas/Ft. Worth was pretty amazing. The ice was 2"= thick on every road. It took 3 days before most roads including interstate hwys were passable at more than creep speed. Pretty much everything was shut down.

Images

here is what happened in Toronto in last couple of days :

Ice Storm Aftermath 001.jpgIce Storm Aftermath 004.jpgIce Storm Aftermath 009.jpg

Wow you guys got nailed pretty good too

Images

Yeah, this is the park I walk ( and bike) daily with my dog but with this situation biking not gonna happen for a month or so.

++ New Posts ++