WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    This is some good advice. I hate chaffing.
    I hate chaffing as well that's why i'm trying to figure out best way to stay clean. Plenty of good tips so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha3168 View Post
    Well this is from an old special operations military guy, your just gonna stink nothing sweet about it 10 days or so without a shower. Nothing wrong with a stream, there are soaps that are environmentally safe. The biggest thing is to keep clean after releiving yourself. Clean up with baby wipes and lube up with baby rash lube. Trust me very important nothing worse than hiking with a rash. Hope it helps may sound funny until you get a rash that rubs and rubs.
    Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Packages of Baby Wipes can be purchased in Dollar Stores along the way for, uh let's see, $1. If you can't afford to "spurge" on this "luxury" item you probably shouldn't TRY to hike the AT. It DOES take some amount of resources, including financial resources, to hike the AT for very long.
    Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price..

I recommend Wet Ones single use packets, "extra gentle" and essentially unscented:

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Singl...bxgy_hpc_img_y

I typically use one or two per day and save at least two for use before going into a store or other parts of "civilization". One for face, arms, and hands, another for armpits and groin area (in that order). I might still stink but I haven't had any negative comments yet. Works out to about 17 cents per individual packet if you buy three 24 count boxes from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I recommend Wet Ones single use packets, "extra gentle" and essentially unscented:

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Singl...bxgy_hpc_img_y

I typically use one or two per day and save at least two for use before going into a store or other parts of "civilization". One for face, arms, and hands, another for armpits and groin area (in that order). I might still stink but I haven't had any negative comments yet. Works out to about 17 cents per individual packet if you buy three 24 count boxes from Amazon.
    Good deal. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This is sort of a no-brainer---and I like to avoid towns as much as anyone. In the summer you jump into a creek and bring your Bronners (I know, I know, rinse away from the water). In the winter you either do a partial bath with your pot/or water bottle and Bronners (for face and scalp and hands and hair), or you wet a paper towel/bandana with water and scrub your body---repeat as needed. If it's -10F and you feel cruddy just warm up a cup of water with the stove and clean with a hot cloth/paper towel/bandana.
    I was going to respond to this thread but I would have done it almost exactly as Tipi did. This is exactly what I do. I do carry a very small light pack towel that I dedicate to cleaning myself - - if it's warm enough to get naked next to a creek or a stream for a few minutes, you can just soak your pack towel and sponge yourself down really good for a few minutes - - I squeeze out the nasty dirty water in the dirt and then re-wet the towel in the water source - downstream from where anyone would collect water. My practices are as close to LNT as I can be. I can do this down to about 25 or 30 degrees - - if it's colder, I do what Tipi suggests with warmed water. You can keep surprisingly clean and tidy in the woods if you work at it a bit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I was going to respond to this thread but I would have done it almost exactly as Tipi did. This is exactly what I do. I do carry a very small light pack towel that I dedicate to cleaning myself - - if it's warm enough to get naked next to a creek or a stream for a few minutes, you can just soak your pack towel and sponge yourself down really good for a few minutes - - I squeeze out the nasty dirty water in the dirt and then re-wet the towel in the water source - downstream from where anyone would collect water. My practices are as close to LNT as I can be. I can do this down to about 25 or 30 degrees - - if it's colder, I do what Tipi suggests with warmed water. You can keep surprisingly clean and tidy in the woods if you work at it a bit.
    I DO NOT use "wet ones" or any of that wasteful nonsense - - they are gross in my opinion and are totally unnecessary

there will be hiker smell

Absolutely enjoy your almost comical sense of communication of appreciation, enthusiasm, and attitude of openness and non argumentative approach in your replies. Funny. So nice to witness whatever your doing.

"Looking for more of those kind of ideas.
    Bronners is good stuff huh? ... will look into it for sure. Sounds like this could work. Thanks! I'll be sure to check those out. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho.Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore.....Thanks, Walt. Ok sweet Thanks! Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha. rubbin alcohol noted. thanks. Good idea. Huh no kiddin thats sweet. Plenty of good tips so far. Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha. Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price. Good deal. Thanks"

Absolutely enjoy your almost comical sense of communication of appreciation, enthusiasm, and attitude of openness and non argumentative approach in your replies. Funny. So nice to witness whatever your doing.

"Looking for more of those kind of ideas.
    Bronners is good stuff huh? ... will look into it for sure. Sounds like this could work. Thanks! I'll be sure to check those out. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho.Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore.....Thanks, Walt. Ok sweet Thanks! Thanks Rain Man for the input. I bet you have gotten some strange looks with the clorox hahaha. rubbin alcohol noted. thanks. Good idea. Huh no kiddin thats sweet. Plenty of good tips so far. Thanks for the input. And thanks for your service Alpha. Cool good to know.. Since i Don't have kids i've never bought baby wipes therefore not knowing price. Good deal. Thanks"

Is there a problem Dog??

Absolutely not. I'm enjoying your posts. You demonstrate a lot of politeness, appreciation, and openness to new ideas. I enjoy that. It's nice to witness.

Absolutely not. I'm enjoying your posts. You demonstrate a lot of politeness, appreciation, and openness to new ideas. I enjoy that. It's nice to witness.
    Oh ok i read into it wrong sorry about that.. I'm here to learn everything i can before i embark on this adventure and i truly do appreciate everyone's previous knowledge. Just doing my part to be polite and maybe, just maybe everyone will do the same.

I bring a lightweight water bucket like the ones from Sea to Summit, a small pack towel, and a small bottle of Camp Suds. Fill the bucket at a water source, walk into the woods far enough that you can't see anyone (if you want to be modest and private, my preference), and wash up. With careful bucket water management, I usually have enough left over water to wash out my hiking shirt, socks, and boxers (having brought my camp/sleep wear with me to change into). My nylon hiking shirt will be worn again the next day after drying overnight while the socks and boxers are pinned to the outside of my pack to finish drying as I hike. This for me is a daily routine though if it's pouring rain I usually don't do the clothes washing part.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy84 View Post
    Huh no kiddin thats sweet. I'm not from L/A but live hear now. Can't wait to leave lol
    The Dirty Lew!

Buzzy, you'll attract that which you give. You''ll experience many wonderful things in your life because that's what you are attracting by imparting it into other folk's lives.

Getting back to the topic, and along the lines of what DelQ and QiWiz said they do, a guy a hiked with on the PCT had the trail name Milkjug Express because he hiked fast with a cut down plastic 1 gal milk jug hanging off the back of his backpack to gather water and use as a basin to wash up in and wash his clothes. He carried a small bar of soap or sometimes a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint liquid soap. You can also buy collapsible basins that fold totally flat or that are flexible enough to crunch up into a ball like at outdoor gear stores( I've seen hikers with ones that crunch up so small they fit inside their solo sized cookware) and in food gadget's depts like in Bed Bath and Beyond. They even sell these at some big Pet Stores(Pet Smart for example) for dogs that could be used. The eucalyptus, lavender, and especially the Peppermint are nice. I typically drop a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint into a mailed resupply box that I use for washing clothes and gear being my laundry detergent, washing ME(including using as a shampoo and body liquid soap), brushing my teeth, as a deodorant, and as something that MAY have some insect repellancy for me.

You could just carry a bandanna and/or super absorbent small ditty wash cloth(like a Sham Wow or equivalent, they sell these at virtually al hiking gear stores) and wash up on the trail. Doing this, as well as keeping nails cut, AND having a cleaner shirt, pr of dry cleaner socks, and maybe occasionally changing into cleaner clothes for the bottom half go a LONG way in feeling more human on the trail for me. Many long distance hikers, including myself, snap a few safety pins onto the outside of our backpacks to let washed/wet clothes dry by hanging on the outside of our backpacks. In this regard, and to repeat what DelQ already said, merino wool clothing tends to not get as funky smelling as much of the synthetic clothing. My super absorbant hand sized washing clothe is my do all ditty clothe for cooking, cleaning, etc. A bandanna could work as well.

One other thing I do that the vast majority of male hikers don't do is regularly shave my face and cut my hair short although I do usually maintain a gottee on long distance hikes. I get it regularly cut into a professional short length style while on trail particularly in the warmer summer months when hiking. IMHO, removing facial hair can cut down on the grundge factor and maintenance of hair while just making me feel cleaner. This is counter to what most long distance hikers do though. It can seem a bit overly fussy to some. Many male hikers wear their hair long, including not shaving, for long periods or for their entire long distance hikes, making many to appear even more gundgy IMHO but they often do it like they are wearing a badge of masculinity.

Keeping cleaner on the trail than a bear or Sasquatch doesn't need to be a big deal or be made into something that's inconvenient. Some hikers get lazy and use hiking as an excuse though to stay grundgy as if they have to. BS.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I bring a lightweight water bucket like the ones from Sea to Summit, a small pack towel, and a small bottle of Camp Suds. Fill the bucket at a water source, walk into the woods far enough that you can't see anyone (if you want to be modest and private, my preference), and wash up. With careful bucket water management, I usually have enough left over water to wash out my hiking shirt, socks, and boxers (having brought my camp/sleep wear with me to change into). My nylon hiking shirt will be worn again the next day after drying overnight while the socks and boxers are pinned to the outside of my pack to finish drying as I hike. This for me is a daily routine though if it's pouring rain I usually don't do the clothes washing part.
    Thanks for your input Qiwiz. Plenty of good practices.

Quote Originally Posted by mainelydave View Post
    The Dirty Lew!
    Exactly! haha

Buzzy, you'll attract that which you give. You''ll experience many wonderful things in your life because that's what you are attracting by imparting it into other folk's lives.

Getting back to the topic, and along the lines of what DelQ and QiWiz said they do, a guy a hiked with on the PCT had the trail name Milkjug Express because he hiked fast with a cut down plastic 1 gal milk jug hanging off the back of his backpack to gather water and use as a basin to wash up in and wash his clothes. He carried a small bar of soap or sometimes a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint liquid soap. You can also buy collapsible basins that fold totally flat or that are flexible enough to crunch up into a ball like at outdoor gear stores( I've seen hikers with ones that crunch up so small they fit inside their solo sized cookware) and in food gadget's depts like in Bed Bath and Beyond. They even sell these at some big Pet Stores(Pet Smart for example) for dogs that could be used. The eucalyptus, lavender, and especially the Peppermint are nice. I typically drop a small bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint into a mailed resupply box that I use for washing clothes and gear being my laundry detergent, washing ME(including using as a shampoo and body liquid soap), brushing my teeth, as a deodorant, and as something that MAY have some insect repellancy for me.

You could just carry a bandanna and/or super absorbent small ditty wash cloth(like a Sham Wow or equivalent, they sell these at virtually al hiking gear stores) and wash up on the trail. Doing this, as well as keeping nails cut, AND having a cleaner shirt, pr of dry cleaner socks, and maybe occasionally changing into cleaner clothes for the bottom half go a LONG way in feeling more human on the trail for me. Many long distance hikers, including myself, snap a few safety pins onto the outside of our backpacks to let washed/wet clothes dry by hanging on the outside of our backpacks. In this regard, and to repeat what DelQ already said, merino wool clothing tends to not get as funky smelling as much of the synthetic clothing. My super absorbant hand sized washing clothe is my do all ditty clothe for cooking, cleaning, etc. A bandanna could work as well.

One other thing I do that the vast majority of male hikers don't do is regularly shave my face and cut my hair short although I do usually maintain a gottee on long distance hikes. I get it regularly cut into a professional short length style while on trail particularly in the warmer summer months when hiking. IMHO, removing facial hair can cut down on the grundge factor and maintenance of hair while just making me feel cleaner. This is counter to what most long distance hikers do though. It can seem a bit overly fussy to some. Many male hikers wear their hair long, including not shaving, for long periods or for their entire long distance hikes, making many to appear even more gundgy IMHO but they often do it like they are wearing a badge of masculinity.

Keeping cleaner on the trail than a bear or Sasquatch doesn't need to be a big deal or be made into something that's inconvenient. Some hikers get lazy and use hiking as an excuse though to stay grundgy as if they have to. BS.
    Thanks gotta run now but i'll comment later

Thats right Dogwood. Thanks for taking the time to write out all them suggestions from what you've experience. An empty milk jug sounds like a good idea, nice and light when empty.. need a sham wow or 2 for sure.. As for the hair it will stay short, the beard i'm in the middle of growing my beard for a year so I'll be hiking with till June 1st at least, then it will probly come off since it'll be so hot and buggy. But good point I think it will be challenging to take care of a beard out there through the muggyness and all

Just keeping your hands and face reasonably clean is 99% of the battle and isn't hard to do. The rest of you doesn't matter that much. Unless you like to hike in shorts, then you'll want to wipe the dirt off your legs each night. Keeping your hair short and beard trimmed is also a big help. A small pair of sissors is all you need to keep your beard trim.

If you do use wet wipes, carry the used ones out (have a ziplock to store them in) or burn them in the fire pit. They do not decompose well in the privy and thier anti-bacterial properties could harm the molding privies. I use them for my butt, after the usual TP treatment. It seems that's the only way to keep that area clean...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just keeping your hands and face reasonably clean is 99% of the battle and isn't hard to do. The rest of you doesn't matter that much. Unless you like to hike in shorts, then you'll want to wipe the dirt off your legs each night. Keeping your hair short and beard trimmed is also a big help. A small pair of sissors is all you need to keep your beard trim.

If you do use wet wipes, carry the used ones out (have a ziplock to store them in) or burn them in the fire pit. They do not decompose well in the privy and thier anti-bacterial properties could harm the molding privies. I use them for my butt, after the usual TP treatment. It seems that's the only way to keep that area clean...
    Good advice, thanks Slo-Go'en

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy84 View Post
    Oh ok i read into it wrong sorry about that.. I'm here to learn everything i can before i embark on this adventure and i truly do appreciate everyone's previous knowledge. Just doing my part to be polite and maybe, just maybe everyone will do the same.

Yup, that's all you can do Buzzy. Don't be shocked if some aren't polite back to you, tho. For reasons unknown to anyone but themselves, some will not be able to control themselves & they will be "ugly" to you, for no reason. I still find that hard to understand & put up with myself....

That is so true, Dogwood! There are exceptions to this but you can't control others so it then becomes each persons responsibility to deal with the "exceptions" wisely. It's not easy, sometimes!

There's a lot of good advice on this thread!

Above ALL else Buzzy, this is what I think you would be BEST to always keep in mind about hiking, particularly on a site like WB or any other hiking related web site: These are only opinions given, MOSTLY given in regard to what has or can work for others. These are only options being given THAT MAY WORK FOR YOU. There is no "this is how it is done" way that's right for everyone when it comes to hiking. Hiking, unless you're going on an organized led hike, where there is a leader calling many of the shots, means what you do is up to you. You have to really grasp that and step forward into that position when you hike. Consider, observe, adjust, go hike.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++