WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Constipation

Journal Entries

Default Constipation

I'm writing a book on this subject. I'm also a backpacker, but not in the same class as people here.

Is constipation a serious problem on the trail?

Thanks,

Gram Cracker

Has been a problem for me. Especially in the first days on a trail.

I try to drink lots of water, trail mix with raisins, and prunes for the first few days. Hot drinks in the morning are essential for me. I carry some ducolax just in case. Always making the trail more enjoyable when I can start the day as light as can be.

No problem , hiking 10 hours stirs the pudding pot. Don't clean your hands and things will go the other way and not for the good.

Journal Entries

Sorry, I just noticed I put this in the wrong section, and I don't know how to delete it. Thanks for the replies.

Constipation is a big "un-talked about" problem on the trail and it's the reason for plenty of people being knocked off the trail each year. It strikes almost everyone. Usually early in the thru-hike. Strange diet, strange amount of exercise, stress, very strange and poor toilet facilities. Another problem is those Mountain House type ready meals where you just add water. You get hungry, impatient to eat you chow down before the required number of minutes for this food to absorb all the water. It then keeps absorbing water thru your system. It can shut down your system pretty fast. Soldiers in the field had a huge problem with the new type rations MRE's in much the same way. So, it is a problem for hikers who tend to eat only light weight and less expensive foods. Good post. To have it moved click on the little (!) left side directly under your name. Ask the moderator to move it to the correct place.

This is one of the things I was thinking about but didn't want to mention in the thread on not taking a stove. In my case, hot coffee and oatmeal typically expedites a bathroom visit in the mornings. Not absolutely needed but it is my pattern at home. I've never had issues with the same habit on the trail. I wonder whether going stove less might cause problems for me.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Never had any problems while out hiking . Eating lots of protein laden foods which adds also fiber
    is a common staple in a hikers diet.
    As mentioned , hiking for hours as backpackers do sustains cardiovascular activity which lends itself to everything working as it should.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Can't say I have encountered this. Being a UL hiker I make it a point to lighten the load as frequently as possible. Worth much more than cutting off the hadle of a toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutknuT View Post
    No problem , hiking 10 hours stirs the pudding pot. Don't clean your hands and things will go the other way and not for the good.
    I think I agree with this. Bouncing down the trail with a pack always seems to encourage my turtleheads to "poke out", whereas at-home sitting does not. I think it has to do with the rhythm of my gait and the consequent activity, etc. Constipation suks on the trail because you're carrying extra turd weight and essentially "eating for two". It's a glorious day when the reluctant turtlehead finally emerges but by then you may have a fight on your hands. I've written books on the subject in my trail journals.

Carrying a few Ducolax in the pill bottle makes sense to me.

I have the exact opposite experience and this includes flatulence. I know my non hiking diet contributes to my "intestinal issues." I actually eat less on a hiking trip calorie wise than I do at home - I'm one of those I eat when I'm bored types.

On the trail my solid output is minimal. On many of my trips I can go 3 -4 days before my first BM and after that it's less than a daily occurrence.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    . I've written books on the subject in my trail journals.

yup....you haved.....

as soon as i saw the subject line of this thread, you were the first i thought of........

Nope, never been a problem for me. What is a problem is after going to town and eating a nice greasy meal. That lubs up the system real good and hope there is a potty real close!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Nope. Another reason for me to carry my stove and have my coffee in the morning. I started eating an Oatmeal To Go bar (no pun intended !!) with my pop-tarts and that may have helped. Only problem I seemed to have was when I needed to go, the Trail was crowded or there wasn't a decent area (think eyebrow trail) or too many rhodies or....... whatever.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I am vegan and eat two pounds of food a day (all of it cold) on the trail -- constipation is never a problem. In fact, I feel enough "urgency" first thing in the morning that I have gotten in the habit of digging my cat hole (when no privy is handy) the night before so I don't get caught short first thing in the morning.

I found Old Hiker's comment about needing to find a spot and finding too many rhododendrons to be interesting because I always found thickets of rhododendrons to be my friend in this regard. Granted, some thickets are too thick, but many are just sparse enough that you can make your way three or four steps into them and be completely concealed, even when just a few yards off the trail. They have so much duff under them that digging a cat hole is much easier than other places. And when hiking in the spring in the south, they tend to have full leaves when many other trees and shrubs haven't leafed out yet, again making concealment easier.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I am vegan and eat two pounds of food a day (all of it cold) on the trail -- constipation is never a problem. In fact, I feel enough "urgency" first thing in the morning that I have gotten in the habit of digging my cat hole (when no privy is handy) the night before so I don't get caught short first thing in the morning. I found Old Hiker's comment about needing to find a spot and finding too many rhododendrons to be interesting because I always found thickets of rhododendrons to be my friend in this regard. Granted, some thickets are too thick, but many are just sparse enough that you can make your way three or four steps into them and be completely concealed, even when just a few yards off the trail. They have so much duff under them that digging a cat hole is much easier than other places. And when hiking in the spring in the south, they tend to have full leaves when many other trees and shrubs haven't leafed out yet, again making concealment easier.
    All that fertilizer you are depositing are going to make the thickets a LOT thicker!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

One of the cures I have discovered when it becomes a problem is to go into town and eat 2 greasy hamburgers and wait 8 hours. Works for me.

Not a problem for me. Dried fruit as snacks or as part of trail mix helps. Keep well hydrated.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I am vegan and eat two pounds of food a day (all of it cold) on the trail -- constipation is never a problem. In fact, I feel enough "urgency" first thing in the morning that I have gotten in the habit of digging my cat hole (when no privy is handy) the night before so I don't get caught short first thing in the morning.

I found Old Hiker's comment about needing to find a spot and finding too many rhododendrons to be interesting because I always found thickets of rhododendrons to be my friend in this regard. Granted, some thickets are too thick, but many are just sparse enough that you can make your way three or four steps into them and be completely concealed, even when just a few yards off the trail. They have so much duff under them that digging a cat hole is much easier than other places. And when hiking in the spring in the south, they tend to have full leaves when many other trees and shrubs haven't leafed out yet, again making concealment easier.
    +1 (except I'm not vegan). Compounded by the fact I have to squat to pee...I better have everything ready the night before...or else.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 12-26-2013 at 17:01.

Images

I add chia seeds to almost every hot meal on the trail. Constipation is thereby rendered a non-issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++