WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp/Bivy Question

Is it necessary to go with the combo of a tarp and waterproof bivy on the AT. I know it's obvious for tarps 6x10 and smaller. But I was wondering if an 8x10 will provide enough protection supplemented with a bug bivy, and ground sheet. My concern is condensation inside the bivy soaking up my bag. And with a 8x10 with bug bivy I can sit around 18-20 oz, and not have to worry about that condensation.

Good question, check out this sol escape bivvy no condensation body heat reflection. I bought one will try it out.

How you plan to pitch your tarp, your skill at predicting precipitation, your height, how water resistant your bug bivy is, and other things will influence the answer.

If you are shorter, 8x10 will give you more coverage, and if taller, obviously, less. Are you a side sleeper? Curled up on your side you would have more room between you and the opening(s). Good pitches for precipitation can help, if you use them (pretty obvious there). Setting up for fair weather and getting a surprise storm could leave you wet if you don't wake easily for it.

Another idea, if you are cutting/making your groundcloth; make it about 2-3 feet longer than you need, fold that up and pin (glue, tape, sew, something) the sides, and make a waterproof footbox area. You can scoot your feet closer to an opening, and thus have your head further protected.

I have used a 5 x9 tarp for 5 years without a bivy successfully . It does take some discipline and not be a tosser and turner when you are sleeping -which I do. If you start with smaller tarp a bivy would be a good safety net. The 8x10 should be enough but the length of your first few trips should be your guide .The longer the trip, the more safety you need to learn your skill under a tarp --and it is a learned behavior--not for everyone . I say try it and see!

This is how I set up my Notch :

Works better with the apex guylines in place, so another 2 stakes and about 20 sec longer.

Just get a decent UL tent - it's just so much simpler and easier to deal with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just get a decent UL tent - it's just so much simpler and easier to deal with.
    I always come back to this. Buy a tarp, decide to get tarp savvy. Look at my 2 lb tent and think about how easy it is to setup and how much shelter it provides. Put tarp on shelf, take tent.

But.. I will likely take a tarp for the desert portion of the PCT.

I've always found the bivy/tarp simpler to deal with then a tent. Because I mostly don't use the tarp, just the bivy. The tarp is just there in case I need it and combined with the bivy weighs less than 15oz. If it isn't raining, why bother taking the time to setup and take down a shelter. I'm lazy like that. I hate camp chores and prefer to avoid anything I don't have to do.

Franco, felt like I was at a YES concert.

Journal Entries
    Images

To answer your question Moocow: I carry a REI Minilimist Bivi, Gatewood Cape (tarp), and piece of Tyvek for ground cloth when I am tarping. I use the bivi alot. I use the cape only when it might rain (with the bivi). Of course, I always use the tyvek. Some light backpackers forgo the tyvek because the bivi functions as a groundcloth. I use the tyvek to increase the life of my bivi. Have fun.

PS. What is really nice is the Gatewood Cape also functions as a rain poncho, and you may also purchase a bug netting that will hang under the tarp. This is VERY nice when you run into lots of unpleasant mosquitos, etc. The entire system is very lightweight especially if you forgo a rain jacket because of the poncho. See Six Moon Designs for the Cape and other lightweight options.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 12-29-2013 at 10:00.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have used an 8X10 tarp and a bug bivy on the AT in the past with good results. My go to setup down south here now for summer section hikes tends to be an MLD Pro poncho and a SMD bug bivy. This combo is great when I usually shelter hop. The bug bivy works well in the shelters and does not take up too much real estate. I would probably stay away from a waterproof bivy on the AT, but that's just me. Good luck.

Journal Entries

I tend to use just a 8x10 tarp after may 15 or so, no bivy. on AT. in cooler times I tend to favor lightweight tent. I'm a hot sleeper so I cover myself in the bag. occasionally I wish I had bug protection but it's usually ok if I worked hard enough during day. on the AT a simple 8x10 tarp is fine for a under 6' guy. u can do variety of set ups in a deeply wooded area. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I've always found the bivy/tarp simpler to deal with then a tent. Because I mostly don't use the tarp, just the bivy. The tarp is just there in case I need it and combined with the bivy weighs less than 15oz. If it isn't raining, why bother taking the time to setup and take down a shelter. I'm lazy like that. I hate camp chores and prefer to avoid anything I don't have to do.
    You're not lazy, you're from California! Folks in the East are far more likely to want a tent than a tarp - even if it doesn't rain, the dew will get you, and the bugs will suck all your blood overnight.

Journal Entries

A large enough shaped tarp, will preclude the need for a bivy in inclement conditions, at less weight than a tarp/bivy combo.

A small tarp, or many pitches for a rectangular or square tarp will necessitate a bivy, at a greater weight. However, with that comes more flexibility.

A Zpacks hexamid equals or beats most tarp/bivy combos in weight, and provides more room and full bug protection.

Images

I thru-hiked with a tarp, a plastic ground sheet, utility cord, and bug netting - - a brilliant light rig really - - rarely got wet even in pretty steady rain.
    I do the tent thing a little more now - you have to be really savvy when you set up your tarp to get it just right or you WILL get wet - you have to make
    sure your ground sheet is perfectly oriented and that everything is just so. I'm just about as careful with my tent but site selection isn't quite as critical and
    you can get away with more (assuming weather). If it's a clear dry night in season, just about anything goes.

Images

i actually had a Eureka Tent for part of my thru - full disclosure

Images

I am quickly changing over to hammocking, but in really bad weather I would often pitch my tarp as shown here http://www.etowahoutfitters.com/ Tip: the farther apart you set the front stakes, the lower you can get the entrance door to hunker down in really bad weather. The tarp I used had a door extension panel that would close the front, but the idea is the same. I rarely ever closed it even in downpous.

++ New Posts ++