WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Your bear bag is multi-purpose then. It protects the food supply, provides a bit of piece of mind & gives you the opportunity to master a skill set! Well worth bringing it, I believe.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    Your bear bag is multi-purpose then. It protects the food supply, provides a bit of piece of mind & gives you the opportunity to master a skill set! Well worth bringing it, I believe.
    Bear bag set-up will be coming with. I use a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil dry sack as my food bag. I never knew how frustrating it could be to hang a bear bag till I tried it the first few times. Deff has some quirks.

Another question, my hydration system includes 2 1L smart water bottles and a 1L platypus soft bottle. I do not plan on using a water bladder on my thru-hike. I may bring an extra soft bottle to increase my water carrying capacity to 4L's. So...Which is the preferred method to treating water on the LT?

I've extensively used two methods to purify my drinking water, my platypus gravity works filter and Aqua Mira. Which would you recommend for the Long Trail?

I really appreciate all your help, there is a great deal of information to be had on these forums.

Regards

Images

i really did enjoy tenting on the LT - there is generally plenty of tent space near most of the shelters (with a few exceptions). I would certainly carry something. I probably combined sheltering and tenting about 50/50 on the LT. Any solo shelter that is super light with a bug fly would be good to have. I also like not relying on shelters in general - - when I'm in the woods, I like self sufficiency. What if some jokers walk up from the road an take over the shelter you were planning on and you are getting ready to get rained on? It's nice to have an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    i really did enjoy tenting on the LT - there is generally plenty of tent space near most of the shelters (with a few exceptions). I would certainly carry something. I probably combined sheltering and tenting about 50/50 on the LT. Any solo shelter that is super light with a bug fly would be good to have. I also like not relying on shelters in general - - when I'm in the woods, I like self sufficiency. What if some jokers walk up from the road an take over the shelter you were planning on and you are getting ready to get rained on? It's nice to have an option.
    I'll be bringing a substantial hammock setup for my LT hike. I also like the idea of being self sufficient. Hammock camping has become my favorite way to camp by far.

Journal Entries

Many folks, myself included, use the Sawyer Squeeze. Since I use a Solo Stove, my back up is boiling....then Aqua Mira. The Sawyer Mini was recently introduced as a reduced weight option. http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-squeeze.html It can be modded, such as setting it up as a gravity feed system, used with SmartWater bottles, in-line with your hydration bladder, etc. Look up Sawyer Squeeze on the 'Search' function to get some ideas.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I did an E2E of the LT starting August 1st and used my OR advanced bivy once the whole time. And that one time wasn't really neccissary, it was just a curtisy to a small group of woman who were using the shelter at the time.
    Just north of Jay Peak at the second shelter from the northern terminus - I was there.

I stayed in the shelters if no one was there, otherwise I tented - mainly because I start before the sun comes up and it's a lot easier to pack up if I don't have to try not to wake people up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    Many folks, myself included, use the Sawyer Squeeze. Since I use a Solo Stove, my back up is boiling....then Aqua Mira. The Sawyer Mini was recently introduced as a reduced weight option. http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-squeeze.html It can be modded, such as setting it up as a gravity feed system, used with SmartWater bottles, in-line with your hydration bladder, etc. Look up Sawyer Squeeze on the 'Search' function to get some ideas.
    Wow, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I've heard of the sawyer squeeze but never looked into it. I love the fact that I can screw it right onto my smart water bottles. Since I'm not going to use a hydration bladder, I think two smart water bottles, the sawyer squeeze, and a 2L platybottle makes and AWESOME lightweight hydration system. Relatively inexpensive too!

Regards

I have another question for everyone. As stated before, I plan to start my hike on August 1st. I'm torn between whether or not I should bring my jacket or my poncho.

I have a Columbia Breathable/Waterproof jacket that I've always brought hiking. It weighs 20.3 oz. Therefore, my layering system would compose of a t-shirt, my long sleeve merino wool 1/4 zip, then the jacket.

Should I bring it or instead just bring my poncho at 11oz?

Go with the jacket. No contest. In the northen sections the LT can get very narrow and if you have to hike through with a poncho, it will keep getting snagged on brush. Then if you have to cross one of the above tree line sections and the weather is not ideal, a poncho acts too much like a sail blowing your off balance. Plus a jacket makes a much better outer layer on chilly and/or damp evenings.

With few exceptions, all the shelters are supplied by pure mountian spring water. You'd be hard pressed to find better water anywhere. I didn't once feel the need to treat or filter any of the water I drank along the LT. If your hard pressed you might find a need to take water from a less then desirable source (think beaver pond) so just having some auqamire on hand for those rare occasions would be worth while.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Go with the jacket. No contest. In the northen sections the LT can get very narrow and if you have to hike through with a poncho, it will keep getting snagged on brush. Then if you have to cross one of the above tree line sections and the weather is not ideal, a poncho acts too much like a sail blowing your off balance. Plus a jacket makes a much better outer layer on chilly and/or damp evenings.

With few exceptions, all the shelters are supplied by pure mountian spring water. You'd be hard pressed to find better water anywhere. I didn't once feel the need to treat or filter any of the water I drank along the LT. If your hard pressed you might find a need to take water from a less then desirable source (think beaver pond) so just having some auqamire on hand for those rare occasions would be worth while.
    I'll be bringing the jacket then. Thanks for your response.

Journal Entries

+1 on the jacket & water quality
    Chief Seattle

Images

Another +1 on the jacket and water. We had 2 gatorade bottles a piece, plus a 4L Platy bag just in case. Never used the bag, so it got a free ride from MA to Canada. Finally used it on a backpack in Hawaii. We did use Aquamira, but only because I didn't want the potential of a sick 12 year old. We saw quite a few people using the Sawyer Squeeze and they really liked it. Sounds like you're thinking it all through and covering all the bases before you get on the trail. No doubt you'll have a great time!
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

you should be able to go as lightweight as possible in August on the LT .... all you need is an U/L tarp, you'll be able to find room in almost all shelters at night, keep it simple, the terrain will tax you and keeping your total pack weight as light as possible makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Another +1 on the jacket and water. We had 2 gatorade bottles a piece, plus a 4L Platy bag just in case. Never used the bag, so it got a free ride from MA to Canada. Finally used it on a backpack in Hawaii. We did use Aquamira, but only because I didn't want the potential of a sick 12 year old. We saw quite a few people using the Sawyer Squeeze and they really liked it. Sounds like you're thinking it all through and covering all the bases before you get on the trail. No doubt you'll have a great time!
    Picked up the new Mini Sawyer Squeeze today and it seems great. Very light, very adaptable. I like the fact that I can make a gravity filter, inline set-up, or best yet... it screws right on top of my smart water bottles. And its less bulky than the original squeeze so its really not awkward screwed onto the top of a water bottle. Haven't even used it yet and I already love it. Coming from and mechanical engineering background, this thing is filter perfection.

I've been hiking and leisurely backpacking for two years now. I'm really spending a lot of time addressing gear because this is my first long distance hiking trip and kind of a testing ground for future hikes. My goal is to do the AT a year or two from now. I feel the more prepared I am for the LT, the less bs to sort through and I'll have my gear really dialed in going into the AT.

I'll be bringing my jacket, and the sawyer. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    you should be able to go as lightweight as possible in August on the LT .... all you need is an U/L tarp, you'll be able to find room in almost all shelters at night, keep it simple, the terrain will tax you and keeping your total pack weight as light as possible makes a difference.
    I've decided to suck it up and bring my full-blown hammock set-up. If I feel as if I don't need it. I'll keep the hex rain fly and send the hammock home as soon as possible. But it's gonna take a lot. I love sleeping in that thing. Regards

Took advantage of some spare balances on some gift cards, a gear card, and 20% sale and picked up a Marmot Precip Jacket today at almost half the retail price. This jacket is prob half of what my Columbia jacket weighs and it tens times as nice. I think I'm really going to enjoy it. Is it bad I want spring here already? I gotta get some snowboarding in first.

Do you guys know if I can edit the thread title? I'd rather call it.. August 2014 ETE Preparation lol

Images

We did the LT as a warm up for more long distance hiking, too. We figured if we really hated it, we could be home in less than half a day, and the LT wasn't as big of a commitment at the AT. Great way to learn and looks like you're not going to have a steep learning curve, or really any learning curve at all!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    We did the LT as a warm up for more long distance hiking, too. We figured if we really hated it, we could be home in less than half a day, and the LT wasn't as big of a commitment at the AT. Great way to learn and looks like you're not going to have a steep learning curve, or really any learning curve at all!
    Well I didn't have the time to do an AT thru hike this year, so I looked at the next best thing. The Long Trail. I'm located in Mass, have a lot of experience in the Whites and well enjoy Vermont too. I figured it will be a great way to learn a lot about long distance hiking before I hit the AT. Getting rid of that learning curve is what I'm all about. I feel if I go into the LT well prepared, I'll come out well refined. Then when I go to do the AT, I'll be pretty fairly well off from the get go. Counting my ounces, not a gram weenie yet lol!

I love backpacking in the Whites, so I'm sure hiking the LT will be a blast for me.

Regards

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Well I didn't have the time to do an AT thru hike this year, so I looked at the next best thing. The Long Trail. I'm located in Mass, have a lot of experience in the Whites and well enjoy Vermont too. I figured it will be a great way to learn a lot about long distance hiking before I hit the AT. Getting rid of that learning curve is what I'm all about. I feel if I go into the LT well prepared, I'll come out well refined. Then when I go to do the AT, I'll be pretty fairly well off from the get go. Counting my ounces, not a gram weenie yet lol!

I love backpacking in the Whites, so I'm sure hiking the LT will be a blast for me.

Regards
    Exactly! You'll really be set for the AT when you hike it! We're aiming for a similar goal, to be dialed in and able to do long distance hikes already knowing ourselves and our gear. It is making planning for this summer's long distance trek easier. All we're thinking about now is food variety - making sure we don't eat some of the stuff we got tired of last summer! We're not gram weenies, either, but aim to be on the lighter weight side, while still being safe and comfortable.

Gotta love the Whites - we've got a pretty nice playground here! If you like the Whites, you'll enjoy the LT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++