WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Knifes Edge

Default Knifes Edge

Was wondering if you need to cross knifes edge to complete the AT ? seems like a very very challenging feat.

I see older people at the summit in photos, did these old timers have to cross that edge to get there ?

Im only 40 and I dont know if I could do that ..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pawlinghiker View Post
    Was wondering if you need to cross knifes edge to complete the AT ? seems like a very very challenging feat.

I see older people at the summit in photos, did these old timers have to cross that edge to get there ?

Im only 40 and I dont know if I could do that ..
    no the knife edge runs northeast of the northern terminus. its not part of the at.

Journal Entries

I did, but no it is not required for the AT, it is however the only practically route to visit Pomola from Katahdin if you also want to take part of the Native American pilgrimage there held Labor Day weekend, which was also the date of your summit of Katahdin - which was my case.

Practically however it is usually not done for a thru hiker as you normally bring a day pack and need to return to your overnight pack at the base of Katahdin. If you traverse the Knife Edge to Pomola then down on that side you are a long way from your backpack.

I assume that there are challenges along the way to the summit but not like this ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pawlinghiker View Post
    I assume that there are challenges along the way to the summit but not like this ?
    the hunt trail has a middle section that is steep and exposed over boulders with iron rungs that help you climb at a few points.its 5.2 miles to the summit, and once you hit the tableland above the boulders, its an easy uphill walk to the sign.up an down can take you anywhere between 6 and 8 hrs.

Plenty of option to climb Katahdin without the knifes edge. With the exception of one spot the knifes edge looks far worse than it is if the weather is good. The AT has some challenging spots but not the up close and personal exposure. The section just below the tableland is exposed and not a great to be on rotten day but at worse the ridge top gets no less then 50' wide. In spots the Knifes edge is a lot skinnier.

If when you get to the top and it nice day with no wind, the out and back over to Pamola via the knifes edge onlyabout 1.5 hours.

I had planned on taking Knife Edge on the way down. It was just too dang windy and I chickened out. Minor regrets.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I only got to hike the knife edge once, in August. My knees were definately a bit shaky by the time I got to the other side

All the other times I've been there were the weekend the park closed and just getting to the summit on class 2, boarding on class 3 days was a challenge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Except for one spot between Pamola Peak and the knife edge I would say the AT down from Tableland is more treacherous than the Knife Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I only got to hike the knife edge once, in August. My knees were definately a bit shaky by the time I got to the other side

All the other times I've been there were the weekend the park closed and just getting to the summit on class 2, boarding on class 3 days was a challenge.
    Let me go

AT 2012

It is all about the weather... If you can, and if your comfort level is low, plan to have a few days at Baxter to wait for a clear calm day. Wonderful place with lots of easy hiking, too.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Except for one spot between Pamola Peak and the knife edge I would say the AT down from Tableland is more treacherous than the Knife Edge
    +1 last year i came down the boulders in a hard blowing drizzle.it was "unnerving."
    of course the rain stopped as soon as i got below treeline.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I did, but no it is not required for the AT, it is however the only practically route to visit Pomola from Katahdin if you also want to take part of the Native American pilgrimage there held Labor Day weekend, which was also the date of your summit of Katahdin - which was my case.

Practically however it is usually not done for a thru hiker as you normally bring a day pack and need to return to your overnight pack at the base of Katahdin. If you traverse the Knife Edge to Pomola then down on that side you are a long way from your backpack.
    I wanted to do the knifes edge but I still had 1008 miles left to complete my hike. I did not want to risk injury on knifes edge, that might of kept me from completing the AT. If I had not flip flopped, I like to think I would have done the knifes edge. I did carry my full pack up to Katahdin.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Journal Entries

I did it, on my hands and knees!
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

I ascended to Pamola Peak via the Helon Taylor Trail, crossed thru the Keyhole, then traversed the Knife Edge to Baxter Peak before returning to the Roaring Brook campground. It wasn't terribly difficult although I was crouching at times to reduce my profile when the winds were blowing. The Keyhole might have been the most technical part. I plan on completing another traverse when I finish my section hike on Baxter Peak.

I often encourage NOBO thru's to consider it if they have someone meeting them in the park that can wait for them at Roaring Brook. Better than up & down on the AT IMHO.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

I found this... looks like fun and so beautiful!!

Images

Been up to Baxter peak 7 times. Once up the hunt trail, once up the abol slide. And five times up the helon taylor trail and across the knifes edge. last couple times i would swear "never again". But it seems like every other year I meet somebody who wants to go for the first time, for me now half my enjoyment is seeing my friends reaction to what can be a mind blowing hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    I did it, on my hands and knees!
    That just sounds like a good slogan; I'm not sure for what, but for something

Images

Last edited by hikerboy57; 12-30-2013 at 11:27.

Images

+1 to "depends on the weather". I did it in Aug of 2007 at age 62on a bright, sun-shiny day after climbing to Baxter Peak on the Abol Slide Trail. Got hot on the way down and joined two others for a dip in the stream there. One of them gave us a ride back to our car. Would NOT advise if rain, thunderstorms, or high winds are a possibility.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I did the Knife Edge this past August. It wasn't bad at all when I was with a cool group of people, if I had done it alone with no one else around, it would have been a little more exciting. The "keyhole" mentioned above must be the scrambling up and down near Pamola. Near the end in my fatigue went to step on a rock and missed. Very lucky I didn't break my arm or bash my teeth into a rock! The hike back to Roaring Brook I was still shaken up a bit for the first couple miles. Did run into a big bull moose on the trail by one of the ponds, pretty sweet!

++ New Posts ++