WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Solo hiking or group hiking?

I do enjoy meeting people on the trail but I prefer not having a perminent hiking group, meaning when I get on the trail I am alone, I will hike some with random partners and it's nice to chat at camp but I prefer being alone.

I prefer to hike alone, for the wilderness is my church and that is where I hear, see, smell, feel and taste god. I'm not crazy, far from it, this is the one thing I am most sure of in life. I do have fears when hiking solo however, once ...faced, it makes me stronger. The feeling and sensation of truly being alive comes from conquering fear. After a few days out in the wilderness my head is clear and I am content and satisfied with life. It's also a pilgrimage which allows me to fully appreciate modern conveniences once back into society. I see my cup as half full and am able to fully enjoy my life for what it has to offer and not to focus on what it lacks to offer. I have walked 106 miles on the Appalachian Trail, all 106 miles alone. I have slept alone, encountered bears, snakes and strangers. All I can say is each experience makes me feel alive, more alive than I have ever felt. Everyday hiking alone is a new adventure, yes many can experience this with other people however for me, part of my spiritual journey is when I walk alone in the wilderness. It's my experience, my journey, my adventure, my church. I take photos and video in an attempt to capture what I experience but it isn't the same. I have finally realized that it must be earned through the skin off your feet and the weight on your back to get the full experience. One day I may change and I do enjoy walking in the woods with others but for the most part I enjoy my solace with nature, why I hike alone.See More
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

You can have as much or as little privacy as you want.

Images

it's not to hard to get the idea across that you want to be alone on trail. staying out of shelters will help too.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hey more power to ya, Spirit Bear... if you have the personality that finds solo hiking extremely enjoyable... go for it!

Fear is huge for a lot of hiking people, including myself. Hiking alone seems to step up the "fear factor" for me. I have had fears to overcome with a hiking partner. I feel stronger, like you said, every time I get out there and face the fear. I feel stronger the next time I go out and I'm finding that I'm not packing "my fears"anymore.

Talking to other hikers on the internet helps a lot too.

I am 54 and planning a thru hike ....just learning. I feel drawn to the trail everyone thinks im crazy, could really use some advice

Quote Originally Posted by ATTAGIRL View Post
    I am 54 and planning a thru hike ....just learning. I feel drawn to the trail everyone thinks im crazy, could really use some advice
    You ARE crazy!

Walk it off.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Yep just crazy enough,i hope. Any advice?

Images

Find a veteran of the trail. Especially one your own age. Sit down with them and talk.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

The trail is as social or as solo as you want. It is easy to find your personal mix.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

im a solo hiker myself, and wasnt sure how i'd deal with the bubble i started with at springer this past spring. during the day, i hiked alone, kept meeting everyone at the end of the day, and was blown away with the people i met on the trail,just added to the overall experience. i still prefer to hike solo, but im no longer turned off by the social aspect of the at.

I like solitude through the mundane and the monotonous. For the spectacular, remarkable or otherwise memorable, it is more rewarding when there is someone with which to share the experience.

Many people like to hike alone during the day. I like to set my own pace, decide when I want to take breaks and how long they last. Having someone latch on to you and be a shadow can be very annoying.

That said, it is good to be part of an informal group on a long hike. Actually, it's pretty inevitable. It's pretty hard to avoid bumping into the same people with a similer pace during the day, at night and in town over and over again. With all the bad weather last year, I kept meeting whole new groups of people every time I went to town and left with a new group, so I never really became part of one. It would change every few days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I like both - - I usually go alone because most people don't like the way I plan (I like early mornings, long mile days and brisk weather).
    When I'm hiking with someone of similar tendencies though it can be a lot of fun.

Well all i can say you and i are in the same boat, am planning on a thru feb 25 at springer. The looks i get from my friends. All i can say this is something i need to do. Im sure the same for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    im a solo hiker myself, and wasnt sure how i'd deal with the bubble i started with at springer this past spring. during the day, i hiked alone, kept meeting everyone at the end of the day, and was blown away with the people i met on the trail,just added to the overall experience. i still prefer to hike solo, but im no longer turned off by the social aspect of the at.
    I am planning my thru hike for 2015, until then I will continue to section hike. I love being around people and find most interesting. It's just different when hiking solo. Also, it's nice hanging in a hammock at the shelters. I enjoy solitude, however ask me after 6 months of hiking.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

ATTAGIRL, Ask questions here, browse through the topics and if you have not already done so log into trailjournals (www.trailjournals.com) and read some journals of previous hikers. Look around in your local area and see if you can link up with someone who has hiked the trail or is an avid backpacker.
    Last edited by Furlough; 12-29-2013 at 18:52.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    I am planning my thru hike for 2015, until then I will continue to section hike. I love being around people and find most interesting. It's just different when hiking solo. Also, it's nice hanging in a hammock at the shelters. I enjoy solitude, however ask me after 6 months of hiking.
    although im planning on walking from springer to katahdin this year, i'm taking the bmt until after the smokies, so that i can get that solitary experience that i ,too,crave.
    solo/groups?--its all good

-

hike off season

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Introverts and extroverts...it's easy to spot them on the trail. Nothing wrong with either type, or either approach to hiking.

Introverts typically do love to share experiences, after they've digested them and sucked the marrow out of each view and experience...most trail folks are extremely accommodating....a little chit chat around the camp fire, or stove, at the end of the day is all some introverts require to maximize their experience.

If you don't want to be caught up in a herd of hikers on the same pace get up early and out-walk them, or layover, and let them breeze on by.

Make it your hike.
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by ATTAGIRL View Post
    Yep just crazy enough,i hope. Any advice?
    several people have said but it bears repeating...find a way to meet (in person) people who have thru-hiked the AT. Until I decided to do a thru-hike, I had never met anyone who had. this site is a good source but it can be overwhelming to a new or inexperienced hiker with the amount of info and conflicting opinions. So seek out former thru hikers...they will be glad to help you out. I met two who happened to work at the closest REI (about 80 miles from my home), one through this site, and another through a mutual friend. All were glad to share experiences and answered all my questions.

start preparing by doing short one or two night trips locally. get familiar with your gear and personal preferences. Lots of us %)+ year old hikers out their on the trail.

BTW, if you do want to thru hike then yes, your friends are correct...you ARE crazy. good luck and best wishes...it's a great journey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++