WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 40 mile day in NH

I am starting to plan my AT sections for NH. What would be the easiest 40 mile section that is completely within NH to do in a day?

The first 40
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

From the VT/NH line to Glencliff is 43.8 miles -- nobody would call that "easy," but compared to everything else in NH it has the reputation of being "easiest."

Images

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, but the next 20 would have triple the thrills.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

AI agree the first 40 and don't plan to carry a pack. Still plenty of rocks and ups and downs. Remember most of NH doesn't have switchbacks.

And plan for it to take 20 hours... 2 mph is a good pace even without a pack around here.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think Malto can handle that 40. I know what he has done before and it is in line with that. That section took me a comfortable 3 days.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I think Malto can handle that 40. I know what he has done before and it is in line with that. That section took me a comfortable 3 days.
    Okay, he gets to stop before Moosilauke which makes it a bit easier. Still, a rough estimate looks to be about 14,000 feet of delta elevation in that 40 miles. So, maybe 15 hours of non stop hiking? I know it's possible since JPD and a few others have pulled that kind of milage through NH and Maine and beyond, but still, good luck! Better hope for good weather that day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I am fairly confident that I can hit the mileage. Its been a while since I've done a 40 mile day....... a whole 48 hours. The picture I sent you was from my turnaround point. . Hope you're fully healed up.

As far as speed, I will target 3mph just like every other hike. If I go slower then that OK. This is only a silly goal to do this in every state that the AT passes through. I also have Ct and Maine but those will be much more straight-forward. Thanks again.

++ New Posts ++