WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Camp Shoes, other than Crocs?

What's everyone using for camp shoes besides crocs? Crocs seem a bit heavy to be carrying on a thru (nearly a pound?). I've looked at a couple options but not happy with any of them. Looking for light & comfy with room for socks. Hard to get out and look around at the moment; not much here on the islands.

Do a search for Vivo Bare foot shoes. Mine weigh about half what my Crocs do. I wear them bare foot or with socks, depending on the weather.

I use some cheap water shoes that can be bought at Wings or stores like that. I live on the coast and there are a lot of these stores that cater to beachgoers. The shoes are lightweight, have a good sole and dry fairly fast after getting wet and are lightweight. They could be used to hike in if you had to but I would not go very far in them.

Whats nice about the crocs is they are loose fitting, even with socks. Try the walmart version of them, I believe they are lighter.

Images

You can make some pretty light ones like I did from flipflop soles with Cuben added to make shoes. Also I think cedatree sells them.
    Last edited by jimmyjam; 12-31-2013 at 07:29.

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page532.html

Cedar Tree came up with a great idea in UL camp shoes, they are comfortable and warm. - PM him - he's a member.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I used Vivobarefoot Ultra for the entire hike. At about $50, they are very light and flexible. They easily fit in the mesh pocket on the back of my ULA Circuit pack. They also made good town shoes with or without socks. After I replaced my superfeet liners in my trail runners, I put the old pair of superfeet in the Vivobarefoot. Wish I had thought about this earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Don's Brother View Post
    I used Vivobarefoot Ultra for the entire hike. At about $50, they are very light and flexible. They easily fit in the mesh pocket on the back of my ULA Circuit pack. They also made good town shoes with or without socks. After I replaced my superfeet liners in my trail runners, I put the old pair of superfeet in the Vivobarefoot. Wish I had thought about this earlier.
    I bought a pair of vivo's on super sale and I did not like bumps on the inside of the shoe. Hurt my feet more. putting the super feet in the show makes sense. I switched over to cheap walmart croc knock offs.

I have the Vivobare which I love! My only complaint is that they are very slippery! Busted my a$$ in camp on a slight slope! My only fall during the entire 70 mile hike!

Tevas. Everyone will tell you that they are too heavy. Found a pair (size 10) this summer that weighted 11 ounces. Love them as camp shoes and beach wear, etc. More compact than crocs. Not as ugly plus they are very cool (literally)!

A duplicate pair of hiking shoes. I use trail running shoes. My current pair weighs about 22 oz. I carry a duplicate pair, and keep them reasonably dry. Wonderful on freezing mornings to put on dry non-frozen shoes to hike in.

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Cougar View Post
    I use some cheap water shoes that can be bought at Wings or stores like that. I live on the coast and there are a lot of these stores that cater to beachgoers. The shoes are lightweight, have a good sole and dry fairly fast after getting wet and are lightweight. They could be used to hike in if you had to but I would not go very far in them.
    +1 you can these at walmart for $5
    Www.walk4heroes.me
    @walk4heroes

I remove the laces from my hiking shoes when I get to camp. They fit much looser then, like slippers. Easy to get into if I have to get up in the middle of the night and no additional weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page532.html

Cedar Tree came up with a great idea in UL camp shoes, they are comfortable and warm. - PM him - he's a member.
    these are pic's CT posted in Hammock F. they weight 2.5 oz per pair.

I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

With my trail runners, I never feel a need for camp shoes but I do like having "shower shoes" for use in hostels or campgrounds. But I have yet to find any that are both light and durable enough. I do worry about fungus and other issues in public showers but it is probably more of a psychological thing than anything related to possible germs.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Section Hiker

I picked up a pair of $15 Skechers molded foam (like crocs) flip flops at a bog box retailer last summer. They are all one piece so there is no toe-strap to pull out of the bottom. They are very light and great for camp, but you can't ford in them. In that case: remove shoes, remove socks, remove insoles, put shoes back on...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I used Vivobarefoots (15 oz, size 10) as camp shoes from Pinkham Notch to Rangeley in Fall 2012, replacing an 7 oz pair of slide sandals I bought from a big box store years ago. While the Vivo's were more comfortable, they weren't any more packable than my sandals and not worth the half-pound penalty. I'll be upgrading to Cedar Tree's CF booties for my next hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The other consideration is whether you want your camp shoes to be ventilated enough to let your feet breathe, or whether you would prefer something that would keep your feet clean and provide some water resistance. I'm in the former camp, so like the Vivo Ultras. If I wanted the latter, I would definitely pick up a pair of CedarTree's cuben booties.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Tevas. Everyone will tell you that they are too heavy. Found a pair (size 10) this summer that weighted 11 ounces. Love them as camp shoes and beach wear, etc. More compact than crocs. Not as ugly plus they are very cool (literally)!
    Tevas for hiking and the same pair for camp, just change socks. Or go barefoot around camp.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++