WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Naproxen vs. Ibuprofin

Does anybody use Naproxen// Aleve instead of Ibuprofin? I like that it's a 12 hour dose, instead of the 4-6 hour dose for Ibuprofin. Works well for me.

I've used both Alleve and Ibuprofin, and Alleve (Naproxen) works better for me. Always carry a small amount on hiking trips.

Images

I'll take naproxen in the morning with breakfast on those days I know I'm going to try and do some high mileage (over 15 mpd for me). I find it works wonders for my knees.

naproxen has always worked better for me wrt inflammation, which I can get some days with my knees. i try not to take anything but there are some days where it really helps, that's also a sign for me to take a zero day

Naproxen- Maximum daily dose is 4 tabs vs 12 tabs for Ibuprofen. Even if slightly more expensive, there will be a cost, weight and space savings w/Naproxen. Naproxen is also the least risky NSAID for individuals with cardiovascular history.

As always, medical advice from anonymous posters on the internet should be viewed with extreme sceptisicm. Speak with a physician or pharmacist or RN regarding your own health and anything you put in your body.

Good Luck

Clear it with your doctor first, or at least check with a pharmacist. I'm not allowed to take either because of interaction with my daily prescription medication.

Images

If you can take NSAIDs, then Naproxin is worth a look. I prefer it since I can take two a day, which is much easier to remember. I understand that some folks have more stomach upset with it, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I feel like Ibuprofin works better for me for more acute pain. Naproxen is nice to take before bed for me general soreness and it does last longer. I'm sure that everyone's body reacts differently though.

Images

Naproxen is the newer generation of NSAIDS( non steroid anti inflammatory drugs) compare to Ibuprofen . It is like the new Chevy vs old Chevy.

Some might say the older Chevy were better but generally speaking newer NSAIDS are more effective and need less frequent use. The only downfall is that Naproxen starts to work slower that Ibuprofen but we are talking about minuted not hours.

I have found that taking a Curcumin supplement works better than both Ibuprofin & Naproxen where the reduction of inflammation is the goal. It also doesn't have the side effect warnings that the NSAIDs carry with them.

Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a try.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=78

From the link above:

A Potent, Yet Safe Anti-Inflammatory

The volatile oil fraction of turmeric has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin. Curcumin is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies, curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.

I have sciatic nerve issues, and when I take a curcumin supplement it manages the pain better than other over the counter medications. If I stop taking it my back hurts bad enough to keep me off the hiking trail...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Note that you will want to let the NSAID build-up in your system for a few days. I now take it pre-emptively to try to keep the swelling down in my knees. Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) is much easier to dose than good ole Vitamin I.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by googlywoogly View Post
    I have found that taking a Curcumin supplement works better than both Ibuprofin & Naproxen where the reduction of inflammation is the goal. It also doesn't have the side effect warnings that the NSAIDs carry with them.

Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a try.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=78

From the link above:

A Potent, Yet Safe Anti-Inflammatory

The volatile oil fraction of turmeric has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin. Curcumin is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies, curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.

I have sciatic nerve issues, and when I take a curcumin supplement it manages the pain better than other over the counter medications. If I stop taking it my back hurts bad enough to keep me off the hiking trail...
    Turmeric is a very common spice of middle eastern especially Iranian and I use it frequently. One should note that it has anti inflammatory effects and is not a pain killer. In situations that inflammation is the source of pain it may act like a pain killer though.

Yes, full dose is 4 tabs/day rather than 12 for ibuprofen, so less tabs to take and less weight to carry. We're talking fractions of grams saved every day!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

Naproxen... hands down
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Personally, Vitamin-I has always worked better than naproxen.

Naproxen. Seems like it works better, and if I'm counting grams (which I'm not) I can carry less.

Add me to the naproxen camp. I never saw much effect with vitamin-I so I stopped taking it, then one day someone recommended naproxen and it made the pain night and day.

Images

Vitamin I works for me. Plus, I like that the doses work for shorter time periods so that I can dial in exactly as much medication as I need and not overdose.

Then again, I have a naturally high pain tolerance, so a single vitamin I can get me through 12 hours.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Judicious combinations work best for me, reducing intestinal issues, which can be doubly inconvenient on the trail.

A co-worker just mentioned a great recipe for turmeric chicken. Gotta go back and get it from her.

Journal Entries

Never took Naproxin, sometimes the I stuff. I also used ginger supplements (and ginger root) as a natural anti-inflammatory, though that is something that does not the sudden effect as the I stuff for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++