WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default anyone ever resupply with meat and cold bag it?

Just curious, im looking at my mylar cold bag.

Not likely. If you carry freash meat out of town, eat it for dinner that night. It's not going to go bad that quick, even in summer heat. Or you could freeze it, wrap it in your sleeping bag or fleece jacket and it will be ready to eat the next night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Not me. If it's the same day as resupply and it's warm out I might try it but it's pushing it. However, in the shoulders (early spring/late fall) when it's good and cold out I'll do things differently. Much more fresh food on the trail since it will keep for more than a few hours. For instance, I learned that mozzarella cheese sticks actually do NOT freeze at 25 degrees. Go figure. And fresh cheese on the trail is sooooo good. So is a ham sandwich with fresh (or prepackaged) deli meat.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Never tried to carry uncooked meat. But just today, I found this:

libbys.jpg

Haven't tried it yet. It's a mylar-type envelope of shelf stable, pre-cooked beef. Ingredients are: Beef, Water, Contains 2% Or Less of: Salt, Beef Extract, Caramel Color. Doesn't sound like you can go too wrong with this!

Talk about SALMONELLA poisoning, Not a good idea Bro, if you got to carry Meat try Summer sausage,Slim Jim's, Pepperoni Slices or Dyhydrate the Hamburger meat at home then it's good to go.

that's kinda cool

Wouldn't stuff like salami and bologna last a couple days? Maybe it wouldn't last a couple days, but wouldn't it still be good?

seems like it (mylar bags insulated) would stay cold for two or three days.

Images

maybe it will, maybe not. depends on temp. i have cooked beef, poultry and eggs in town and packed in. seemed easier. i could eat it cold too.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

If you think you are going to haul raw steaks, roasts, poultry, and pork to the trail regularly uhhh that does not bode well for you completing a long hike........in my humble vegetarian opinion. It's heavy, very perishable, and time consuming to prepare. If you want your meat fix look at cured, dried, dehydrated, meats/jerkies/sausages, etc.

Take a frozen steak, wrap it in some clothes from your clothes bag and enjoy it the 2nd day out thrown right on the hot coals from a good fire.
    Awesome way to cook it, and awesome treat your middle day out.
    Bologna will keep a few days. As will hot dogs.
    But, I agree with those who say if you need the meat fix, dehydrate a bunch of hamburger and throw it in with whatever you are cooking. THAT will keep up to 6 months if dried good.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

On my first night out I sometimes take a frozen catfish (it's a southern thing, ya'll) for one good meal out there. It's thawed by the time I get ready to cook at night. I really like to cook on the trail, and I admit, I like to watch fellow hikers salivate over my meals while I watch them eat cold or dehydrated meals out of Mylar bags.

This might be another (safer) option for you.

http://beprepared.com/food-storage/d...and-meats.html

I'm a vegetarian so can't comment on the quality of meats, but I have been satisfied with other items I've ordered from them.

Best not try take raw meat or fish with you in bear country.

Images

I've taken frozen steaks and chops wrapped between a couple of those Styrofoam meat trays in a ziplock. Stayed frozen one full day, and thawed for the second night. That is in NH though. Not sure how well they would keep in 100 degree southern or mid-Atlantic heat.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

If I'm not going far the first night, I'll take a a prebaked potato with the center scooped out and filled with cheese and butter, the whole thing wrapped very well in foil, along with a nice filet. Get a nice little fire going, put the potato in the coals to warm it up, put the filet on a sharpened forked stick, cook over the coals and enjoy. It is incredible as a first night meal on the trail. Of course it is a lot of weight, so I only do it on the first night. It's also a pleasant surprise when you put your pack on the next morning and you can actually feel that it's lighter. Just because you are camping in the woods doesn't mean that you have to skimp.

I've had a cold burger and a warm beer for dinner after leaving town a few times. A subway sub is also a good meal first night leaving town. Carry the sause on the side.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

im doing an experiment, im freezing hot dogs, gonna put them in a insulated mylar bag with ice and let it set at room temp and see how long it takes to just defrost.

Not certain what you (OP) mean by either "meat" or "cold bag". Is the former something to-be-cooked, or are you on some caveman pre-discovery-of-fire thing where you want to eat hamburger sushi? Or are you talking sausage and the like? Or both? By "cold bag", is the point how you store/carry it, or are you talking about not cooking (no stove)?

In pretty cold weather a friend and I went cookless on the CDT; I hiked about the first half of it that way, and apart from the obvious foil-packet-of-tuna sort of thing, one approach we liked is that we would split a package of hot dogs and buns. Just eat 'em cold; surprisingly good, even camped on or around snow. Eat a couple the first day, the rest the second day. Worked fine; they weren't frozen, just typically cold from the store cooler to start with.
    Food bag is a little heavy that way the first day or two from resupply, but a nice way to get some variety, and it was dead easy.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have done it for short trips in cold weather (we once backpacked smoked turkey legs). But for long distances, I resort to dehydrating.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++