WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Contacts Vs. glasses

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some feedback from the fellow "poor sighted" people out there who have thru hiked or section hiked. Glasses or contacts? I switched to contacts a few years ago and love the freedom. Would appreciate any knowledge/experience you guys/gals have on the subject. Appreciate it.

Dave

Images

Contacts, for sure. I'd rather lose my pants than my contacts. No worries about using them out in the woods, either. Just be sure to wash your hands before handling them. I use a little wash basin I made from the bottom half of a gallon milk jug. My cooking kit fits inside it, so it doesn't take up any additional space, and it's practically weightless. I also keep a small pack towel dedicated just for my eyes. Small travel bottles of solutions, and my glasses in a crushproof case from the Dollar Store, for a dollar.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I wore only glasses on the AT, then switched to contacts on the PCT and all other trails later. No problems taking out contacts each night, just don't try it when it is windy!
    I'd rather have contacts to be able to protect eyes against sun, esp on the more treeless trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Contacts, for sure. I'd rather lose my pants than my contacts. No worries about using them out in the woods, either. Just be sure to wash your hands before handling them. I use a little wash basin I made from the bottom half of a gallon milk jug. My cooking kit fits inside it, so it doesn't take up any additional space, and it's practically weightless. I also keep a small pack towel dedicated just for my eyes. Small travel bottles of solutions, and my glasses in a crushproof case from the Dollar Store, for a dollar.
    Thanks for the response and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I wore only glasses on the AT, then switched to contacts on the PCT and all other trails later. No problems taking out contacts each night, just don't try it when it is windy!
    I'd rather have contacts to be able to protect eyes against sun, esp on the more treeless trails.
    Thank you. I was thinking that switching back to glasses would be more practical, but dreaded it. I figured I would throw it out there for those who have the experience. Glad I did.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Thanks for the response and advice!
    You're most welcome. Here's a couple of links to other posts, that have a lot of good info, too.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...light=contacts

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Definitely a personal choice on and off the trail. I prefer glasses but that's just me.
    Thanks Colter. Any suggestions for defogging etc?

Journal Entries

I do contacts only . I only change them every few weeks or so. glasses fog up in rain. it rains a lot on this trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I never could wear contacts. I got Lasik in 2005 and couldn't be happier.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Thanks Colter. Any suggestions for defogging etc?
    I wear a brimmed cap or hat, sometimes with a rain jacket hood to keep the rain off.

Usually when people are getting their lenses fogged up they are either getting sweated up or breathing on them, so I try to avoid both.

My spare glasses, with two pair of clip-on sun-glass lens, cleaning cloth and case weighs 2.4 oz total.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I don't like glasses at all because of glare, constant adjusting of my head for best view, pressure on my nose, and rain/fogging. I can see fairly well without correction but I wear contacts into the sleeping bag in case I need to react to some situation. But I am unusual in that I clean my contacts daily - at home I do this at night and take them out, but on the trail I clean them in the morning. It only takes clean hands and a few minutes. I carry several spares. Much better for me than glasses.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Images

i only wear glasses - - sometimes this has been a problem - as a whitewater kayaker, it's been really interesting - tight croakies - lots of anti-fog.
    as a skiier, I have custom ground inserts for my goggles.
    as a backpacker, I'm constantly going to the pack towel or adjusting my visor
    I've just never wanted to put anything in my eyes.
    of course, I'm only 46. maybe when I grow up ......

Images

I've had success, both on and off trail with AirOptix extended wear contacts. They are very comfortable even after wearing overnight for a week. I use re-wetting drops morning and night and take the lenses out only when zeroing in a town where I can practice good hygiene. My lenses are even bifocal.

it's great to see the night sky clearly when cowboy camping. Also, contacts don't fog. Just in case I do carry a pair of glasses.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries

Blind as a bat, always wear contacts - never any issues while hiking, just use common sense with hygiene

For short section hikes (2 to 3 days) I will wear glasses. For longer trips, I will wear the 30 day/night contacts. For me, they are comfortable even when subject to campfire smoke.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I never wore contacts, just went with glasses, and they broke on night one. That being said, with long distance hiking, be sure to carry your vision prescription just in case.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

would like to add, carry a current prescription. i always have a xerox copy in my emergency contact ziplock, and was caught once out of date. thought i could simply sweet talk them, all i got back was law blah blah blah, we could lose our license blah blah. to me it felt like extortion to pay for the screening

Images

I wear contacts and bring a spare pair as well as my glasses. I truly despise wearing my glasses on the trail.

Glasses. Just a lot less hassle. When I am on the AT I like to keep things simple.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++