WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear/Itinerary for 50 mile GA AT section hike

Here's what I have so far and plan to get (items with * not gotten yet) for my upcoming 50-60 mile section hike in Georgia mid September. Contributing issues were budget and not wanting to purchase the best for my first AT hike. I will be hiking with another fella who has some items I don't, like a water filter. Since this is our first AT section hike, we have 8 or 9 days to actually hike so we are opting to try 50 miles (Springer to Unicoi Gap) and see how we feel. Gonna carry three to four days of food to make it to Walasi-Yi. If we feel froggy, then we'll either drive from Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap, park and hike to the GA/NC border and back overnight, or find a way to move our vehicle to Dicks Creek and hike on from Unicoi to Dicks Creek. We are out for fun and enjoyment as opposed to just mileage.

(This list is not completely complete :-), still a little time left to pick up what I don't have.)
    Campmor Trekmor convertible pants
    Campmor Polartec fleece jacket

Red Ledge Thunderlight Waterproof/Breathable Parka

Wigwam Coolmax liner socks

Wigwam Wolf hiking socks

Duofold Varitec short sleeve shirt

Columbia Omni Dry Duo Tone short sleeve shirt

Columbia sun cap

Aqua Mira water treatment

Kelty Trekkor external pack

Alcohol stove and fuel

Slumberjack down 20 degree bag

Kelty Teton 2 person

3 liter bladder and two one liter soda bottles

closed cell foam pad from army navy store

Columbia midheight boot

50’ of parachute cord

14 oz stainless steel cup/pot

spork*

13 gallon garbage bags

large ziplock bags

disposable lighter*

trekking poles*

clip on light for bill of cap*

Current weight of pack without water and food is about 18.5 lbs

TickPicker
    the land of the dimpled chad

I did that section hike last year in mid-October and found the weather to be quite pleasant, even with near freezing temps at night when we first started (an unusual cold snap). I wouldn't take a parka or anything fleecy. Just layer with a long sleeve and short sleeve shirt. You can also get away with trail runners instead of boots.

-Lucinda

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by TickPicker
    or find a way to move our vehicle to Dicks Creek and hike on from Unicoi to Dicks Creek.
    Check with Ron and Sam at the Hiawassee Inn. Extremely hiker friendly and reasonable shuttle rates. Also Josh and Leigh at Hikerhostel in Dahlonega.
    Frosty

50’ of parachute cord
    This seems to be a common one, but I don't get it. It seems awfully heavy for anything I might want to use it for.

Doug

Images

Default Less is more

My sister and I did all of Georgia in 9 days which is saying you should have no problem going farther than Unicoi Gap. If two out of shape women wearing 50 pound packs can do that you should have no problem. By the way, my pack with food/water etc is now under 30#.

Have fun
    Turtle2

Frosty........we are using Fred for a shuttle. His name was given to us by the folks at Walasi-Yi and BlueBerry Patch.

Doug. It's not really parachute chord........but should hold my pack up in the air when needed

I hope we can hike more............but for my first trip I want to start conservative.

TickPicker

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i would scrap:

the socks-just wear the liners
    the cord-not needed
    the garbage bags-only carry 1, for a pack cover (what are more for?)
    the ziploc bags-just use old food bags/ziplocs for garbage
    one of the soda bottles-with a bladder, you really only need 1 bottle (if any)

other than that, it looks like a good starter list.

one word of caution, though. if you have never used an alcohol stove, i would advise you to play around with it at home to get the feel for it. they can be really finicky, and thats the last thing you want on the trail.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice all..........and Solemates.......we did a two day wilderness trip with the alcohol stoves to get used to them. Thanks again

TickPicker

The 14 oz cup might be a wee bit small if your buddy is not carrying a larger pot. Unless you're freezer bag cooking?

Default Gear update

Well.......I've listened to some suggestions and not to others. I am only taking about 2.5 liters of water and dropping some other items. I'm keeping the fleece and rain jacket though. I'll try the "just use the liners" idea and see how it works.

Total pack weight with 2.5 liters of water and three/four days of food........

32.6 lbs.

Heavy for the ultralighters but I'm gonna start with it and see. Thanks to all for your comments

TickPicker
    the land of the dimpled chad

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Well.......I've listened to some suggestions and not to others. I am only taking about 2.5 liters of water and dropping some other items. I'm keeping the fleece and rain jacket though. I'll try the "just use the liners" idea and see how it works.

Total pack weight with 2.5 liters of water and three/four days of food........

32.6 lbs.

Heavy for the ultralighters but I'm gonna start with it and see. Thanks to all for your comments.
    No need to carry 2.5 liters anywhere along the GA AT. Except maybe northbound out of Hawk Mtn, where there's no water until Justus Creek, about, uh, oh damn I should know this .....5 point something, close to 6 miles. Other than that stretch you'll be passing water at least every hour or so.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Regarding parachute cord....I believe every GA shelter now have bear cables installed....so no need to bear bag unless tenting between shelters.

++ New Posts ++