WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I live right outside Big Bend National Park. There is a very popular book that was written by Laurence Parent, "Death In The Big Bend". This really could be a lesson about any National Park or outdoors adventurers, and not just the Big Bend. I have read this book and it's a very popular book and I would recommend it highly. Anyone, whether novice or well seasoned hiker, are prone to mistakes and errors of judgement. But the price can be very high.
    Sounds a lot like "Not Without Peril" , a very popular book about accidents/deaths in the Whites.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

They only got 5 miles into the park and could not leave on their own when it was all down hill?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

This dude has been captured but thought some might find this video interesting. The Ranger mentions the rescue of these 3 guys.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...tains/4494987/

“The problem with incompetence is its inability to recognize itself.” - Orrin Woodward.

It is sad but SAR will always be gainfully employed. Many thanks to them for their good deeds.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    They only got 5 miles into the park and could not leave on their own when it was all down hill?
    When you are hypothermic, and your gear is an inadequate remedy. The best thing is to keep hiking, and stay hydrated, and replace calories. Staying in place, and waiting for rescue, while you are still able to move, is not a good decision. Even at a one mile an hour pace their ordeal would have been over in 5 hours.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    When you are hypothermic, and your gear is an inadequate remedy. The best thing is to keep hiking, and stay hydrated, and replace calories. Staying in place, and waiting for rescue, while you are still able to move, is not a good decision. Even at a one mile an hour pace their ordeal would have been over in 5 hours.
    I've pointed out before that I assume the guys simply didn't think to include a flash light in there gear.

The original stories indicated that they didn't hunker down in place until the sun began to set. Given how unprepared they were, it's not a far-flung idea that they didn't come prepared with flashlights. If they didn't have flashlights, then it makes perfect sense that they didn't attempt to desend a very steep and winding trail in the dark. Keep in mind the latest accounts say that the rescuers were having problems find/staying on trial... and they did have light.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

It is hard to believe that between the three of them not one thought to carry a light. Even without light, one is better off to keep moving. In the military, we did night training exercises, and I learned how to see in the dark. You only need to see as far as your feet, yes you may stumble and fall a few times, but you are still better off. I believe a blind man wrote a book about hiking the AT.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Didn't a blind man write a book about hiking the AT? Oops double post
    Last edited by Son Driven; 01-17-2014 at 15:45.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    Didn't a blind man write a book about hiking the AT? Oops double post
    at least, thats what they told him

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    at least, thats what they told him
    Wow, that's awful! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Wow, that's awful! Thanks!
    MD & HB... stop it!! It hurts....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    MD & HB... stop it!! It hurts....

That was good HB... my abs hurt and I started coughing on this one.... I got a cold in my chest!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
++ New Posts ++