WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Carrying. no shelter for a 10 day trip is a real head scratcher . Glad they were rescued.
    regardless if tent camping is not allowed in the Smokies...I'd still bring one under the auspices of "Emergency shelter" and let the chips fall where they may. Just my two chips.

Default SC hikers stranded in snow rescued from Appalachian Trail - WBTW - Myrtle Beach and F

SC hikers stranded in snow rescued from Appalachian Trail
    WBTW - Myrtle Beach and Florence SC
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. - Three Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in the snow and below zero temperatures are now getting treatment for hypothermia and possible frostbite. They were rescued by helicopter Friday after spending the night without proper ...

and more »

More...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Insulating but breathable clothing - wool and leather. For really cold dry conditions, a cotton anorak. Wool knit hat used. (cf. the coureur de bois). Furs as well at times.

Tents were still used: Made of hide or heavy and treated cotton (used something similar in boyscouts myself). Or a sturdy lean-to made with cut down branches.

Insulation on ground used for sure: pine boughs and/or furs. Furs or heavy wool blankets used for covering.

What I am getting at is that I doubt the old timers did winter activities in the 1700s equivalent of Levis, sneakers and cotton hoodies. You still need gear and clothing appropriate for the environment...then or now!

For modern take on some of the older methods, check out this site:http://wintertrekking.com/clothing/
    point taken...
    ...and the knowledge of how and when to apply it. Sometimes I think folks rely to much on the gear, and not a have a full understanding of why one makes certain choices, understanding a little science just might save a life.

Booked marked, thanks
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 01-03-2014 at 16:53. Reason: bookmark

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    point taken...
    ...and the knowledge of how and when to apply it. Sometimes I think folks rely to much on the gear, and not a have a full understanding of why one makes certain choices, understanding a little science just might save a life.
    No disputing that.

I remember a few years ago, a young woman set out on the PCT with a sub-10lb kit. But not the knowledge of how to use it.

Long story sort, she got caught in a Sierra snow storm, started getting hypothermia and used SPOT to bail herself out. The SPOT was not at fault, nor was her sub-10lb kit. She did not even set up her shelter before the trip IIRC.....

What sounds great online is of no use unless you've learned how to use it from practice and experience. I've ridden out snow storms in a tarp.

It also took a fair amount of miles to get to that point, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Carrying. no shelter for a 10 day trip is a real head scratcher . Glad they were rescued.
    Based on how unprepared they guys apparently were, the 'no shelter' makes perfect sense because they expected to stay in shelters every night.
    Of course those of us the know better would always take a tent or some other form of shelter as an emergency measure.

The comments section of the Knoxville News are ripping these guys pretty good... including the suggestion that they pay for the cost of their rescue after being so foolish.

Of course we know that's not going to happen, but I wonder if the guys might be fined for illegal camping?

While I can't say for sure they were camping illegally, the authorities identified the men by name, and it was reported the trio set off on a 10 day hike with "Their destination was unclear". If they had a legitimate GSMNP permit, and the authorities knew their names, then they should have been able to locate a permit in their database and known what their destination was (at least while in the park).

Default Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued - Anderson Independent Mail

Chattanooga Times Free Press

Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued
    Anderson Independent Mail
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. — Three Appalachian Trail hikers who were stranded in the snow without shelter have been flown to a hospital by helicopter. According to Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials, Shawn Hood, Steven White and Jonathan ...
    Rangers reach hikers stranded on Appalachian TrailWSOC Charlotte
    Hikers rescued from Appalachian TrailMaryville Daily Times
    Smokies rangers reach three Gaffney hikers stranded in snowSpartanburg Herald Journal

all 28 news articles »

More...

Images

In NH these three ill prepared campers would be charged for the cost of the rescue. Or at least they could be if the Rangers decided they were negligent.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    yeah in green, and orange on the inside
    i had a blue snorkel jacket with the zip pocket on the upper arm.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I didn't get that they did not have a shelter. but why would they. The regulations require them to sleep in shelters, tenting is prohibited. On the AT I met many hikers, thru hikers, ill prepaired for cold weather, what saved them was the community of thru hikers, and really spooning. to say that they were contenders for the Darwin award does not speak kindly for the law and the people who serve the Smokies as rangers as it is obviously their responsibility to protect people who go there considering they make it illegal to tent. the people followed the rules and the rangers came though when they needed help, these people from what I read are very much alive and free to reproduce.

In other words I think you are a little harsh, these people could have been any one of us and I do believe most of us know it. We make mistakes, and thankfully due to human kindness, Darwin no longer applies.
    sorry, have to disagree with you. You take a shelter for two reasons. first, you don't know if there will be space in the shelter even with the reservations. Second, you take a shelter so that you can have shelter in the event you can't reach the targeted destination. Especially since there was crappy weather forecasted for a while.

like Forest's mama said .... "stupid is as stupid does"

A few weeks ago I set out on a four day solo hike on the AT, just North of the Mason-Dixon... In camp the first night I realized that there was way more snow than I had planned for and more falling. I was OK, but not enjoying myself due to the lack of gear to handle actual snow accumulation. I had arranged a possible bailout with my father, so I called for the ride. Poor cell service and unplowed roads turned the pick up into a bit of a debacle. I ended up hiking a few miles by snowy road to the car, but my family freaked a bit while I was unable to communicate my situation due to cell coverage... When I got cell coverage again guess who called me? Pennsylvania State Police... My family had called for rescue. Luckily I was able to convince the police, truthfully, that I was not in a life threatening situation; I had the necessary gear to be safe, just not the necessary gear to be comfortable. They never even began a rescue effort, luckily.

The whole time I was thinking 'this thread is gonna go eight pages on WB, if they rescue me.'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    sorry, have to disagree with you. You take a shelter for two reasons. first, you don't know if there will be space in the shelter even with the reservations. Second, you take a shelter so that you can have shelter in the event you can't reach the targeted destination. Especially since there was crappy weather forecasted for a while.
    +1 .

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    A few weeks ago I set out on a four day solo hike on the AT, just North of the Mason-Dixon... In camp the first night I realized that there was way more snow than I had planned for and more falling. I was OK, but not enjoying myself due to the lack of gear to handle actual snow accumulation. I had arranged a possible bailout with my father, so I called for the ride. Poor cell service and unplowed roads turned the pick up into a bit of a debacle. I ended up hiking a few miles by snowy road to the car, but my family freaked a bit while I was unable to communicate my situation due to cell coverage... When I got cell coverage again guess who called me? Pennsylvania State Police... My family had called for rescue. Luckily I was able to convince the police, truthfully, that I was not in a life threatening situation; I had the necessary gear to be safe, just not the necessary gear to be comfortable. They never even began a rescue effort, luckily.

The whole time I was thinking 'this thread is gonna go eight pages on WB, if they rescue me.'

Ahhh ha ha!!! That's wayyyy to funny MD! I'm glad you are OKay! I made it through Old Rag without a rescue! WOOT! I'm a lil sore though. It was really fun!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Ahhh ha ha!!! That's wayyyy to funny MD! I'm glad you are OKay! I made it through Old Rag without a rescue! WOOT! I'm a lil sore though. It was really fun!
    Luckily my family had a sense of humor about it too. I was a little pissed they called for rescue, knowing that I'm not stupid enough to go totally unprepared, but I forgave them. Part of me wishes I had pressed on, but if it's not fun what's the point?

Awesome! How cool is Old Rag? My first night ever backpacking was spent right past Byrd's Nest shelter.

Luckily my family had a sense of humor about it too. I was a little pissed they called for rescue, knowing that I'm not stupid enough to go totally unprepared, but I forgave them. Part of me wishes I had pressed on, but if it's not fun what's the point?

Awesome! How cool is Old Rag? My first night ever backpacking was spent right past Byrd's Nest shelter.
    Old Rag is very cool, MD. That's a great place for a first backpacking trip. I know exactly the shelter you are talking about...

I'm trying not to pass judgement on these hikers.. just happy they have been rescued! :>)

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Old Rag is very cool, MD. That's a great place for a first backpacking trip. I know exactly the shelter you are talking about...

I'm trying not to pass judgement on these hikers.. just happy they have been rescued! :>)
    Glad you had a good time! I didn't get to do McAfee knob when I was down your way, but a nice State Trooper set a date to discuss my driving speed at the end of the month, so I've got another shot!

I wish people didn't go out unprepared and put rescuers at risk, but that doesn't mean I want to see them hurt. We all make mistakes, hopefully they showed their gratitude to the rescue folks.

Glad you had a good time! I didn't get to do McAfee knob when I was down your way, but a nice State Trooper set a date to discuss my driving speed at the end of the month, so I've got another shot!

I wish people didn't go out unprepared and put rescuers at risk, but that doesn't mean I want to see them hurt. We all make mistakes, hopefully they showed their gratitude to the rescue folks.
    Oh BOY ... sounds like the same type of meeting I would have with a nice State Trooper too. Let me know when you are thinking of coming down my way again. :>)

I wish people would really think about what they are doing... I agree with everything else you said too!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Same article is being discussed over here:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...okey-Mountains

This story repeats itself over and over again in some form or the other . There are way to many hikers like this,especially in the Smokies .Many years ago ,you had to get an equipment inspection before you were given a winter permit. Is that still the case?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    In NH these three ill prepared campers would be charged for the cost of the rescue. Or at least they could be if the Rangers decided they were negligent.
    While I can't rule it out, I've never heard of anyone getting charged with a rescue in GSMNP.

However, I wonder if the guys might be fined for illegal camping? I can't say for sure they were camping illegally, but the authorities identified the men by name, and it was reported the trio set off on a 10 day hike with "Their destination was unclear". If they had a legitimate GSMNP permit, and the authorities knew their names, then they should have been able to locate a permit in their database and known what their destination was (at least in the park).

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++