WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Merged a couple of threads here, some of the news articles may have gotten jumbled while merging.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I know I have done some dumb things, but burning coats that you could have worn to help stay warm???? These guys are old enough to have been smarter. Sounds like a case for a movie like "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest".
    That and carrying a blow torch struck me as odd.

They also stated they checked the weather and it said wet, but not cold. So they where "prepared" for wet, but not cold (I would argue they weren't prepared for wet either, but regardless) I'm wondering if they were looking at the weather for Spartenburg SC where they live instead of Fontana. Even if that was the forecast for the start it doesn't make any sense to not plan for cold weather when going out for 10 days in January.

One of those news stories said they plan on trying this again. Hopefully they will be a little more prepared next time.

Journal Entries

you got that right, 'hikerboy'
    you hit the nail on the head when you said, 'You can't regulate stupid"!!!

in the words of the great Jack Nicholson.
    "We're all stocked up on Crazy", thanks very much,

No sleeping gear and you are planning on a Ten Day Hike?????

come on, get real folks!

They're lucky to be alive........

Quote Originally Posted by googlywoogly View Post
    One of those news stories said they plan on trying this again. Hopefully they will be a little more prepared next time.
    maybe someone here can serve as their mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ATL Backpacker View Post
    Let me try:

"When looking at the weather, ask yourself. 'Have I done this before?' If not, don't go somewhere where you can't bail."
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Let me try:

"When looking at the weather, ask yourself. 'Have I done this before?' If not, don't go somewhere where you can't bail."
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

all they have to do is log in.we'll all volunteer

Someone from here serving as their mentor would be great! There are some that could pull it off and do a fine job!

I'm being realistic though....they would get reamed from the moment they logged on. I don't know many people that learn a darn thing from that type of behavior. I know I wouldn't!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Someone from here serving as their mentor would be great! There are some that could pull it off and do a fine job!

I'm being realistic though....they would get reamed from the moment they logged on. I don't know many people that learn a darn thing from that type of behavior. I know I wouldn't!
    yet amazingly, people have been able to get useful information here for years.theres plenty of information you can get here without even logging on.
    i dont think these yoyos have the brains to actually see whats involved in a 10 day backpack anywhere.maybe they should have just started with an easy overnight, before they decided to to a 10 day hike with no experience, without doing any homework.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlaze View Post

Chattanooga Times Free Press

Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued
    Charlotte Observer
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. Three Appalachian Trail hikers who were stranded in the snow without shelter have been flown to a hospital by helicopter. According to Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials, Shawn Hood, Steven White and Jonathan Dobbins ...
    Rangers reach hikers stranded on Appalachian TrailWSOC Charlotte
    Hikers rescued from Appalachian TrailMaryville Daily Times
    Smokies rangers reach three Gaffney hikers stranded in snowSpartanburg Herald Journal

all 26 news articles »

More...
    Anyone want to tell me what this is? Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    News articles from our RSS feed. They got mangled when I merged the many threads started on these guys. Not sure exactly why they were distorted.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Essentially the following links to news articles on the three hikers and their rescue along with some headline blurbs that I don't wish to take the time to edit out the html coding on. Just copy and paste them into your browser address window.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNHRo-EVeKliCg1f5crN1lxHxFdGLQ&url=http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jan/03/smokies-rangers-reach-3-hikers-stranded-snow/

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/03/4585132/smokies-rangers-reach-hikers-stranded.html

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/smokies-rangers-reach-hikers-stranded-snow/ncbkN/

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Breaking_News/story/Hikers-rescued-from-Appalachian-Trail-id-045138

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140103/ARTICLES/140109930/1083/ARTICLES?Title%3DSmokies-rangers-reach-three-Gaffney-hikers-stranded-in-snow-

http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=d5Cpkj3yWxWU51MwvpE9om9VTVaBM&ned=us

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNH4d2sCx0oRdBs7l0nNK_Qx7FLkwg&url=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/03/4585132/smokies-rangers-reach-hikers-stranded.html

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    yet amazingly, people have been able to get useful information here for years.theres plenty of information you can get here without even logging on.
    i dont think these yoyos have the brains to actually see whats involved in a 10 day backpack anywhere.maybe they should have just started with an easy overnight, before they decided to to a 10 day hike with no experience, without doing any homework.
    HB... you know what I'm trying to say here. WB is hands down the BEST place to come for hiking info. It doesn't get any better than this forum. We all know this. That's not what I'm talkin about.

Here's my feelings..... I'm seriously happy they survived.

If they were to come on here for "help", after the fact, would you be in favor of everyone showing restraint with their comments, about their actions, so as to not "turn them off" so they could receive help? That's all I'm sayin......

If you start out telling them what a bunch of idiots they are and how they know nothing about backpacking... Do you think for a minute that they would accept that kind of "trash talking", even when it's the truth? NO WAY!! I know I wouldn't.

Here's the thing too.. it's so obvious they didn't know anything about backpacking. I'm glad they didn't loose their lives. Maybe having a smart phone is to blame for the lack of preparation... IDK. But, it is what it is.

Here's a shoutout to all the newbies on WB.... We love you asking questions! Ask away............. We were all there once ourselves!! Love y'all!!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-04-2014 at 18:56.

Images

if they came here admiting how over their heads they were and looking for advice, im confidant the responses would be straightforward.
    hey we've already laced into them

Images

Yeah, but really HikerMOM. This deserves the WB version of an ESPN, "C'mon man".

This is akin to "accidentally" wandering into the south Bronx - or North Korea - or entering the bear cage at the zoo - or ? There is a point at which absolute stupidity earns public humiliation and absolutely deserves it, if for no other reason than to warn the rest of the herd that "YOU JUST AREN'T FREAKIN' ALLOWED TO BE THIS STUPID - BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE!

They are really lucky they didn't kill themselves.

Images

those guys were well prepared. they had a propane blow torch for heat. who else has one of them in their kit? lol. im just glad they survived and hopefully on their next trip they each bring their own torch..

Default Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued - News & Observer

WLOS

Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued
    News & Observer
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. — Three Appalachian Trail hikers who were stranded overnight in the snow without shelter were found and taken to a hospital on Friday, officials said. Shawn Hood, Steven White and Jonathan Dobbins were weak and could not walk ...
    State Briefs:Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow are rescued, Attorney ...Jackson Sun

all 61 news articles »

More...

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    if they came here admiting how over their heads they were and looking for advice, im confidant the responses would be straightforward.
    hey we've already laced into them
    Okay HB... I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, but really HikerMOM. This deserves the WB version of an ESPN, "C'mon man".

This is akin to "accidentally" wandering into the south Bronx - or North Korea - or entering the bear cage at the zoo - or ? There is a point at which absolute stupidity earns public humiliation and absolutely deserves it, if for no other reason than to warn the rest of the herd that "YOU JUST AREN'T FREAKIN' ALLOWED TO BE THIS STUPID - BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE!

They are really lucky they didn't kill themselves.
    If public humiliation works then so be it, I understand what you are saying.

I was just talking about the learning curve... could they come to WB for the learning piece? How would you "treat" them if they came in as "teachable"? Do you think they would be drawn to us for "help" after reading this thread about their story?

It's all hypothetical, I know! Just something to think/talk about.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Okay HB... I'll believe it when I see it.

If public humiliation works then so be it, I understand what you are saying.

I was just talking about the learning curve... could they come to WB for the learning piece? How would you "treat" them if they came in as "teachable"? Do you think they would be drawn to us for "help" after reading this thread about their story?

It's all hypothetical, I know! Just something to think/talk about.....
    Deep down I feel sorry for them. Hey, they almost died. Honestly, if I met them face to face, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them about it and probably shake my head in disbelief - and then move on. We can't change the past. I'm sure they would like to keep the lesson learned, forget about it, and move on as well. Hopefully they and others will take away the lesson of knowing something about what you are getting into before the "Just do it" mentality kicks in.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++