WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Double Bubble or walmart pad

What do you find works best in a hennessy hammock, the double bubble radiant pad or plain ole walmart pad. Planning on 32 degree bag (more like 40) and reactor lining with long johns. This should keep me good to about 25 degrees. Of course I plan to "try it out" before hitting the trail. I will also be sleeping with thick wool socks and thick gloves. Will a hot water bottle last most of the night? Never hammocked before and plan on using it on a NOBO appx April 1. Getting ready to order my hammock soon. There insulation kit is out of my price range.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I would recommend a storm shield or equivalent. It's an envelope of silnylon or similar fabric that surrounds the hammock. I made one on the cheap and I take it year-round. I can take it off or partially off if it gets too warm. Even in summer it is almost always comfortable. I have a 1/8" open cell foam underpad that I take or leave at home according to temps expected. The storm shield is lightweight, cheap, easy to make, and will protect from high winds and blowing rain. I gave up long ago on pads inside the hammock, although that suits some folks.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

A hot water bottle seems to keep me noticeably toasty for at least 6 hours. Near boiling, 48oz

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

One of my hammocks is an Explorer with bottom entry. I use either a 1/8" or 1/4" ccf with a segmented pad extender (SPE). Recently picked up down underquilts for my gathered end hammock & will be trying them on the HH sometime this winter. They're at work right now on my rig.....about 3/4 mile from the back door, in the woods of the 'Back 40'.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

When hammock camping in cold weather I take 2 blue walmart pads. Then, when the hammock compresses the bag against your shoulders and thighs, at least you have blue pad insulation.

Images

Testing your gear under controlled conditions is also a good idea. I always test my gear in my back yard testing area for hammocks to make sure I can set the stuff up correctly and make sure is works as expected. Right now I can set up a max of 9 hammocks at one time in what I call my Secret Hammock Institute of Testing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

LOL....more hammocks than trees

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Testing your gear under controlled conditions is also a good idea. I always test my gear in my back yard testing area for hammocks to make sure I can set the stuff up correctly and make sure is works as expected. Right now I can set up a max of 9 hammocks at one time in what I call my Secret Hammock Institute of Testing
    Looks like S. H. I. T.!

Images

Dude, you're spending $200 on a hammock, then you're going to "cheap" it with the other stuff? I would go with a $55 hammock, a $140 underquilt, and $5 head net.

The hot water bottle does not last through the night, but its usually sufficient to get you through the coldest nights. Typically wake before sunrise noticing my body temp and bag warmth has dropped. If you get up early, you're fine. Otherwise, could consider making another hot water bottle in the wee hours. Not hard to fall back asleep in the hammock - harder to sleep in with others getting up and going.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++