WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Cold and Wet hiking

After 10ks post on hiking in the cold and wet, I started writing up an article on Cold and Wet hiking. With the Smokies incident, seem appropriate to finish it today.

In any case, I have it posted on my web site
    http://www.pmags.com/cold-and-wet-the-hardest-hiking

(A pain to copy and paste longer articles correctly. Sorry!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Great info, I have some of the same stuff. Thanks for sharing...

Images

nice article,mags.

Thanks Mags. Reading it now. It's like -10F up here past week and on Monday it is supposed to got to +45F and rain, then back down to sub-zero. Not planning on going for a hike beyond my paper-route, but something to think about.

I enjoyed the article. Good Info. Thanks

Thanks a lot for the article. It is really helpful for those of us getting our last pieces of gear for an upcoming thru hike.

I will be starting on Springer in early March. I was planning on not taking rain pants, just athletic tights with shorts and maybe a rain kilt/skirt. Do you have any thoughts on this? I figure that If my legs get wet I will be changing into dry baselayer pants at night anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by revid View Post
    ...I will be starting on Springer in early March. I was planning on not taking rain pants, just athletic tights with shorts and maybe a rain kilt/skirt. Do you have any thoughts on this? I figure that If my legs get wet I will be changing into dry baselayer pants at night anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.
    My choice was rain pants and no extra base layer, but your system could work fine for you. Some hikers do OK with just shorts. It's unlikely your choice of leg wear will affect survival--just comfort. Like putting those wet clothes on the next morning--uncomfortable for a few minutes, but you'll survive and you learn it's worth it to keep some stuff dry. If you do much NW hiking, you'll have an idea. And it's easy enough to bail out to town in bad weather, and even change your gear along the way.

Just a note--do NOT underestimate spring weather in the high country in the Southern Appalachians. I experienced some of the most severe weather in my life on my AT hike in April, and I normally spend a lot of time above treeline in the Rockies. Snow/rain in somewhat extreme wind, temps in the low teens--but plenty of pleasant sunny days as well. I appreciated my rain pants in the winter storms, but I saw at least one hiker out there in shorts and he survived.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Take some sort of rain/wind protection. The rain kilt with the tights would probably work well in the wooded environment of the Appalachians.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++