WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A Great Map For SPOT Users!

If you are using a SPOT on the trail, there is a cool site that will post your SPOT check-ins on a communal map so that your family/friends can see where you are along the trail when you choose to use the check-in feature. It also shows where you are in relation to other hikers also signed up on this site. It is fun and also keeps a storage of every check-in you make along the trail (SPOTS usually only keep the last 7 check-ins). Great to look back on and see what you've traveled from one check-in to the next. I was even able to embed it to my blog so followers could easily relate my day's post to where I was on the map. If you want to see how I embedded the map for the CDT last summer, here is the link.
    http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/wheres-erin_26.html
    I'll soon be changing it to the AT map Here is the link for those that are interested in registering. It's free and they do take donations for the service.
    http://www.trackleaders.com/at
    ~~Wired PCT2011, CDT2013, AT2014
    www.walkingwithwired.com
    www.facebook.com/WalkingWithWired
    instagram.com/walkingwithwired

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Wired: How long do the batts last (Lithium) if you have it on so that the Spot device indicates your position every 15 minutes? Thanks. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Wired: I think I answered my own question. According to Spot webpage-
    Continuous clear sky-up to 7 days.
    Cloudy sky-up to 3 1/2 days.
    This is using the lithium AAA batts.
    I used a Spot on CDT last April. I unknowingly let the batts run out as it was on continuous tracking. I had the border patrol out looking as a panicked spouse back home panicked. At the time I was in the yard of Sam at Hachita. I saw a border patrol helicopter go over, and numerous BP Vehicles pulling quads go by. Later they all converged on Sam's yard as I was taking a nap. We had quite a reunion and they were great guys. So this year if I use continuous tracking I'll have to keep a watch on that aspect, heh, heh. Planning on starting middle of April (2014).
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

SunnyWalker,
    That's quite a story, ha! Sorry for the delayed response...still figuring out this Whiteblaze thing...I've never kept the tracking on and actually found out the subscription is a lot cheaper w/out the tracking. I just pressed mine once a day and I'm pretty sure I didn't change batteries the whole CDT. If I did, it was just once out of precaution which is just crazy to me that it lasts so long. I do wish there was a way to know the battery level like on a GPS though. Happy Trails
    ~~Wired PCT2011, CDT2013, AT2014
    www.walkingwithwired.com
    www.facebook.com/WalkingWithWired
    instagram.com/walkingwithwired

++ New Posts ++