WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP: Planning a September SOBO

My girlfriend and I are planning a September 2014 SOBO. We are hoping to team up with the NCI and raise money for Leukemia research via patron sponsorships per mile.

Here are our gear lists and weight (oz) for shoulder seasons:

My Stuff:

Pack 28.6
    Tent 22.4
    Ground cloth6.95
    stakes 1.6
    stuff sacks 2.83
    Rain Jacket8.5
    Rain Pants 3.6
    Mid layer Top6
    Bottom Layer6.2
    Underwear3
    Pad 15
    sleeping bag24.5
    Down jacket6.8
    Down pants6.9
    Down hood1.3
    Down booties2.4
    cup 2.2
    towel 1.8
    dish towel 0.8
    pot/pan 6.2
    Cooking spoon 1.2
    gloves 1.5
    socks (2pair)5
    stove 5.8
    spork 0.2
    Bear bag 1.3
    Bowl 1.6
    multi tool 1.9
    headlamp (w/extra batteries)3.6
    inline water filter1.3
    water reservoir (70fl oz)3.7
    Pump kit 1
    self packed first aid/whistle/duct/sew4.4
    chapstick/sunscreen1
    firestarter/waterproof matches/lighter2
    bio soap1
    toilet paper1
    Small spray deodorant 0.5
    dental stuff1.5
    fuel cannister7.4
    iPhone/charger6.35
    Solar panel3.1

My total weight 13.4 lbs, w/ water ~18lbs

Her stuff:

Pack28.2
    Bug net10.6
    stuff sacks2.23
    Rain Jacket7.1
    Rain Pants3.6
    Top Layer5.4
    Bottom layer5
    Pad14
    sleeping bag26
    Down Jacket10.1
    Down Pants6
    Down hood2.2
    Down booties2.2
    cup1.9
    towel1.8
    Spatula0.4
    gloves1.5
    socks (2pair)5
    spork0.2
    headlamp (+extra batteries)3.3
    inline water filter1.3
    water reservoir (70fl oz)3.7
    compass1
    self packed first aid4
    sunscreen/Chapstick1
    waterproof matches/fire starter/lighter2.5
    Multi-tool1.8
    Trowel1.9
    toilet paper1
    Small spray deodorant 0.5
    dental stuff1.5
    Bowl1.6
    whistle0.5
    kindle6.8
    insect repellent1
    Tenacious Tape0.75

Her total weight 10.5 lbs, w/ water ~15lbs

All of the above items are packed, the list does not include our "on person" clothing.

Our tent is a bombproof mid. Our bags are 0 degree rated. She uses a mummy, I use a quilt. We will be supplementing with our insulation layers. Our pads have an R value of 5.7.

Some of the non-essential insulation items may be bounced in the beginning. We both have wool hats that we will probably bounce until it gets too cold for our runner caps. We will be buying insulation trail runners after our first shoes give out.

We are doing a TRT thru hike in early August as a shakedown. We will only be resupplying 2-3 times on that hike. Luckily, we have family in the area to provide us with water drops.

If there is anything we are overlooking, your advice is highly valued. Also, tips are always welcomed and appreciated.

We have both lost numerous close family members to cancer, mainly leukemia. We are strong hikers, but our resolve is stronger.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Kelly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a solid plan. Hope it goes well and remember....HAVE FUN!!!
    I ain't totin that!

September start SoBo? If you blitz the AT, it'll still be January before you finish. You might want to reconsider that. You might reach a point where snowshoes may be needed in NC/TN. For sure, MicroSpikes or something similar.

You don't list the model of some of your stuff. A 5.8 oz stove sounds heavy. But, if the stove is winter rated, it probably isn't. Be sure you inline water filter will function in freezing conditions. Toward the end of your hike, there will probably be some days where the temperature won't get above freezing.

You have a 'cooking spoon' and she has a 'spatula' listed. You could probably do w/o either. Save you a couple of oz.

You might consider using lithium batteries in your headlight. Will last longer in the cold. More expensive, lighter, & harder to find (sometimes).

Solar chargers on an East Coast hike might not work as well as you expect. After the leaves fall, it might perform a little better.

Wish you luck on your hike & the cause you're supporting.

It's do-able.
    Biggest problems are long nights, not many places will be open that cater to hikers after Oct 31.
    Once snow comes, finding the trail will be a challenge although you can do it, if you think like a trail blazer.
    If you don't have a ton of experience, a GPS might be in order.
    Long nights in the bag
    Shelters will be empty.
    It'll be deer season a lot. (not a big deal but I'd take a few Sat. off maybe)
    Solar charger might not do what you want it to. Especially when the days are so short.
    Good luck.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    September start SoBo? If you blitz the AT, it'll still be January before you finish. You might want to reconsider that. You might reach a point where snowshoes may be needed in NC/TN. For sure, MicroSpikes or something similar.

You don't list the model of some of your stuff. A 5.8 oz stove sounds heavy. But, if the stove is winter rated, it probably isn't. Be sure you inline water filter will function in freezing conditions. Toward the end of your hike, there will probably be some days where the temperature won't get above freezing.

You have a 'cooking spoon' and she has a 'spatula' listed. You could probably do w/o either. Save you a couple of oz.

You might consider using lithium batteries in your headlight. Will last longer in the cold. More expensive, lighter, & harder to find (sometimes).

Solar chargers on an East Coast hike might not work as well as you expect. After the leaves fall, it might perform a little better.

Wish you luck on your hike & the cause you're supporting.
    Thank you

I should have specified what's in the bounce box. We have a backup ceramic filter and I had AM drops in my pack list but I've relegated those to the BB along with Yak trax and spikes. I'm still shopping for some good UL snowshoes. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to know. The listed weights are with Lithium batteries, saves an ounce.

As for the spatula, well, we like our pancakes:
    http://www.sturdiwheat.com/store/tem...3eac2e2f564b59

Thanks again for the support and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    It's do-able.
    Biggest problems are long nights, not many places will be open that cater to hikers after Oct 31.
    Once snow comes, finding the trail will be a challenge although you can do it, if you think like a trail blazer.
    If you don't have a ton of experience, a GPS might be in order.
    Long nights in the bag
    Shelters will be empty.
    It'll be deer season a lot. (not a big deal but I'd take a few Sat. off maybe)
    Solar charger might not do what you want it to. Especially when the days are so short.
    Good luck.
    Thank you. I'm hoping the iPhone with Guthook's AT app will suffice when the trail is covered by snow. If not, I have an etrek I'll include in the BB.

0 days won't be a problem for us. The idea of Christmas on the trail is appealing to us.

Thanks again

Images

Is there a huge reason to do the shakedown hike out west and delay starting at Katahdin in August instead? Depending on exactly when in September you start, it could have a huge impact on the overall nature of your hike.

Have you hiked any portions of the AT in ME or NH before?

I'm not trying to discourage you at all KBKjr, just sharing with you...

A SOBO hiker just had to come off the trail in Atkins VA, the other day. He said it wasn't fun hiking in the cold. He said it's hard to keep your clothes and gear dry on the trail, he was worried really about that piece. He said it was impossible for him to start a fire to keep warm or dry out with snow all over the ground. He was in his tent a lot more than he wanted to be... etc...

I know if he had the $$ he would have been in hostels & motels a lot more than he was on the trail, this time of year.

He said he could handle a section hike in the winter but a thru hike... not so much.

It's freezing cold in VA right now. The weather people are saying that we haven't had this cold air come this far South in 20 years. We could have a mild winter next year, tho.

Good luck and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Is there a huge reason to do the shakedown hike out west and delay starting at Katahdin in August instead? Depending on exactly when in September you start, it could have a huge impact on the overall nature of your hike.

Have you hiked any portions of the AT in ME or NH before?
    We will be attending a wedding on the 2nd in Tahoe. The thought was to get our legs and lungs under us with a couple 10s. If we forgo the TRT, we could potentially start 17 days earlier.

I spent summers hiking in Maine when I was younger but not along the AT. I have not hiked in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'm not trying to discourage you at all KBKjr, just sharing with you...

A SOBO hiker just had to come off the trail in Atkins VA, the other day. He said it wasn't fun hiking in the cold. He said it's hard to keep your clothes and gear dry on the trail, he was worried really about that piece. He said it was impossible for him to start a fire to keep warm or dry out with snow all over the ground. He was in his tent a lot more than he wanted to be... etc...

I know if he had the $$ he would have been in hostels & motels a lot more than he was on the trail, this time of year.

He said he could handle a section hike in the winter but a thru hike... not so much.

It's freezing cold in VA right now. The weather people are saying that we haven't had this cold air come this far South in 20 years. We could have a mild winter next year, tho.

Good luck and welcome!
    I appreciate the information. Let me assure you, we may be crazy but we are not dumb

Our gear is very water resistant (nothing is waterproof). However, if the weather forces us off of the trail, then the weather forces off the trail :/

My goal with this thread was to ascertain if their was any gear we may be missing and to gather any tips of the trade, so to speak. I appreciate the concern and warning, but to my understanding Atkins, VA is around 400 miles from Springer. If that's the case, hopefully we will be in your neck of the woods a lot earlier than this time next year.

Maybe we will even be able to encounter the weather you had a month ago:

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/...0000&sort=hour

Which is a lot nicer than I had when I was in OK during that time

Thank you again and thanks to all for tips and advice!

Journal Entries

Take the 17 days & use them in Maine/NH , get thru there as early as you can .Penn can get interesting November & consider strongly packing some "hunter orange" clothing in your bounce box as you hike into deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by KBKjr View Post
    I appreciate the information. Let me assure you, we may be crazy but we are not dumb

Our gear is very water resistant (nothing is waterproof). However, if the weather forces us off of the trail, then the weather forces off the trail :/

My goal with this thread was to ascertain if their was any gear we may be missing and to gather any tips of the trade, so to speak. I appreciate the concern and warning, but to my understanding Atkins, VA is around 400 miles from Springer. If that's the case, hopefully we will be in your neck of the woods a lot earlier than this time next year.

Maybe we will even be able to encounter the weather you had a month ago:

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/...0000&sort=hour

Which is a lot nicer than I had when I was in OK during that time

Thank you again and thanks to all for tips and advice!

Sorry for the incorrect spelling, I should have typed "there" instead of "their" in the third paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    Take the 17 days & use them in Maine/NH , get thru there as early as you can .Penn can get interesting November & consider strongly packing some "hunter orange" clothing in your bounce box as you hike into deer season.
    Thanks, I will make sure that the blaze is packed away

Images

We will be attending a wedding on the 2nd in Tahoe. The thought was to get our legs and lungs under us with a couple 10s. If we forgo the TRT, we could potentially start 17 days earlier.

I spent summers hiking in Maine when I was younger but not along the AT. I have not hiked in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    I am assuming you are 100% committed to this SOBO thru-hike. You've got good gear. IMO, any small gains you make from a conditioning standpoint hiking the TRT will be diminished by the time and miles you are losing when you could already be 17 days further down the AT.

Winter IS going to eventually catch you on your hike. When it does, it will slow down every remaining mile. The question is where do you want to meet up with it? October is the transition month to winter conditions in the Whites. (You don't want to get caught in an Oct. storm or even be taking zeros waiting for weather to clear). The sooner you start, the further down the trail winter finally catches you, the more you are "walking with fall" and staying ahead of winter, the better the weather generally, the more daylight, more mpd, and you finish sooner in the southern Appalachians. Like anything else that deals with weather though, it's impossible to really predict, so the best you can do is play the percentages.

Even though you are strong young hikers, do not underestimate the difficulty of the first 400 miles of the AT from Katahdin to Glencliff. Even trail hardened NOBO thru-hikers see their mpd go way down through this section.

Have a great hike whatever you decide.

My Stuff:

dish towel 0.8 Redunant, not needed
    Bowl 1.6 Not needed, eat out of your pot
    multi tool 1.9 Small locking knife is more useful
    Small spray deodorant 0.5 Not needed
    Solar panel3.1 Totally useless.

My total weight 13.4 lbs, w/ water ~18lbs

Her stuff:

Pack28.2
    Bug net10.6 No bugs in the winter!
    You had best start September 1. It is highly unlikely you will get to NH before October and the weather starts to get real trickly about then and quickly goes down hill from there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You had best start September 1. It is highly unlikely you will get to NH before October and the weather starts to get real trickly about then and quickly goes down hill from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I am assuming you are 100% committed to this SOBO thru-hike. You've got good gear. IMO, any small gains you make from a conditioning standpoint hiking the TRT will be diminished by the time and miles you are losing when you could already be 17 days further down the AT.

Winter IS going to eventually catch you on your hike. When it does, it will slow down every remaining mile. The question is where do you want to meet up with it? October is the transition month to winter conditions in the Whites. (You don't want to get caught in an Oct. storm or even be taking zeros waiting for weather to clear). The sooner you start, the further down the trail winter finally catches you, the more you are "walking with fall" and staying ahead of winter, the better the weather generally, the more daylight, more mpd, and you finish sooner in the southern Appalachians. Like anything else that deals with weather though, it's impossible to really predict, so the best you can do is play the percentages.

Even though you are strong young hikers, do not underestimate the difficulty of the first 400 miles of the AT from Katahdin to Glencliff. Even trail hardened NOBO thru-hikers see their mpd go way down through this section.

Have a great hike whatever you decide.
    Just talked to the girl, we are now planning to start this hike within the first 7 days of August. That gives us at least 8 weeks until October, or 48 days with 8 zeroes. For the first 400mi, that averages to just a little under 8.5 MPD.

Does anyone oppose a $9000 budget for the both of us?

Thanks to all for the insight and advice.

Images

You have plenty of money. I think most folks who live and hike in NH/ME regularly would agree with your choice of starting sooner. Hopefully a few more will chime in. And the worst that can happen is you blow right through ME and NH and say those guys on WB are a bunch of wusses - we cranked out 20's from Katahdin and right through the Whites

Just talked to the girl, we are now planning to start this hike within the first 7 days of August. That gives us at least 8 weeks until October, or 48 days with 8 zeroes. For the first 400mi, that averages to just a little under 8.5 MPD.

Does anyone oppose a $9000 budget for the both of us?

Thanks to all for the insight and advice.

An earlier start is a much better plan in my opinion. Your planned budget for two is quite possible ($4,500 ea). I spent more than that going north. I often shared a room w/ hiking buddies I met along the way.

When I hit Glencliff NH, I was averaging 15 mpd (including zeros). I slowed down after that. When I finished, my average had lowered to 14.4 mpd (including zeros). Going south, unfortunately, you'll have to push pretty hard at first just to get out of the 100 mile wilderness. You'll undoubtedly average much more than 8.5 mpd for the 1st 400 miles.

Good luck in your hike. It is one heck of an adventure.

Images

I'll chime in, 4eyedbuzzard, as a NH resident and year-round weekly hiker in the Whites. +1 to starting as early as your schedule will allow, the weather here can be either spectacular or dreadful and sometimes both within a very short amount of time, this especially goes for the shoulder seasons and winter. The shoulder seasons can be tricky, but it looks like you've already worked out an earlier start date, and it looks like your gear and planning is pretty much in order.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

I'm very curious what sleeping bags you have that are rated at 0* but only weigh ~25oz? Most of the 0* bags I have seen weigh well over 2 lbs.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++