aka Kudzu
    Images

Default Maintenance Update: Camp Blanding/Keystone

Ok, so the current state of affairs is that we have been kicked out of the Keystone Airpark indefinitely. We're still trying to re-open the corridor but we're not making a lot of headway.

If you are day hiking, Camp Blanding remains open to hikers. However, this is now an in/out trip. When you reach the connector to the Airpark at Treat Rd. you'll be met by a "No Trespassing" sign. Turn around and head back to the trailhead on 21.

Thru-Hikers
    If you are headed northbound, exit Gold Head Branch State Park on 21. Turn left and start heading west towards the city of Keystone Heights. We have blazed a new bypass route of approximately 10 miles (I didn't GPS it yesterday). Keep an eye on the utility poles until you reach Gasline Rd. Turn right and continue following the white blazes (orange is Florida Trail, blue is water/side trail, white is alternate route) until you reach 100. You'll travel north on 100 for a short bit to pick up the FT again across from the Airpark trail.

This will provide a shorter bypass and less roadwalk than having you head into town. Of course if you need to re-supply, stay on 21 until you hit Keystone and then go north on 100 until you hit the trailhead.

Southbounders will exit the FT on 100. Rather than crossing the road and picking up the trail into the Airpark, follow the white blazes south until you see the old Tony's gas station. The blazes will lead you down the road through some rural neighborhoods until you eventually run into Gasline Rd. Gasline will take you to 21. Turn left and head east following the blazed utility poles. Look for the big tower. That's just before the entrance to Gold Head on your right.

We're working with Camp Blanding and a possible re-route through their property to help remove at least a portion of this roadwalk. Unfortunately the person we were working with was transferred and the new guy is still out on vacation. I'll post any new trail changes in my section here.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Thanks for the update. I was planning on passing through Camp Blanding this weekend on my section day hike.

I'm on my lunch break at work so don't have my maps in front of me, but this sounds like I might want to skip this section. I've been pretty diligent about following the FNST southbound (started just south of Tallahassee in the Bradwell Bay) and picking up right where I left off, making a good faith effort to stick to the trail as it is marked the day I am there. I've only come across two actual re-routes, but also several sections that were almost impossible to follow. Lately I'v been getting the feeling the FNST doesn't want to be hiked. I'll persist a while longer though.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining at you or anyone in particular and I certainly do appreciate the update.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Not sure where you were planning on starting/ending but yes, the Keystone/Blanding area isn't fun for a thru right now. No idea when we'll be able to get things cleared up. Maybe you could do Gold Head to Etoniah. fwiw I understand the frustration. Imagine ours at losing access to trail that we've had for many years and having little choice but to make hikers endure road walks.

Here's a map of the bypass (indicated by the dashed line).

You can go into Camp Blanding as far as Treat Rd. which is between Crystal and Magnolia Lakes. Everything west of Treat Rd is closed.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Is there a reason for the closing that can be shared?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I'm at home now and have my maps. Saturday I plan to start at Sampson Creek (right off Sampson Lake) and walk to SR100. Sunday I plan to walk from SR100 to Gold Head SP, now using the re-route.

FYI, I am hiking southbound.

Looking at the maps, it seems that Crystal Lake Road, running on the south side of Crystal Lake, would get one very close to where the FNST leaves Camp Blanding. Is it possible to enter Camp Blanding from there? This would avoid a lot of roadwalk and going below Crystal Lake would avoid the airport area. I'm just looking at maps so there could be other obstacles I'm not seeing.

While we're at it, could recommend a good place to leave my car (I am self shuttling with bicycle) around my midpoint of SR100. If at all possible I like to park my car and secure my bicycle near a FNST sign, not just blaze.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by perrymk; 01-15-2014 at 09:09.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Is there a reason for the closing that can be shared?
    I believe it's a two-fold issue. First, the Airpark received a FAA grant and following that the hammer fell. The FNST isn't the only victim. There are other (for profit) groups that use the Airpark facilities directly and we were all told that we need to pay for a lease. I don't know what the others are doing. As a non-profit and an entity that was enacted by Congress we tried to reason with them, to no avail, that the lease should be a moot point.

Second, there is also an apparent concern that somehow after all these years hikers are a security risk.

Neither of these make any sense, really. The FNST runs along property that was purchased with Federal funds for the express purpose of the FNST. In effect we'd be paying a lease to use property that was purchased specifically for the Trail. Second, the corridor lays outside the security fence.

I don't recall the specifics but I believe it's safe to say the Trail has been there for decades. I have no idea why we're a problem for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Looking at the maps, it seems that Crystal Lake Road, running on the south side of Crystal Lake, would get one very close to where the FNST leaves Camp Blanding. Is it possible to enter Camp Blanding from there? This would avoid a lot of roadwalk and going below Crystal Lake would avoid the airport area. I'm just looking at maps so there could be other obstacles I'm not seeing.
    If there was another way to connect them we would have. The original bypass route (used when Blanding is closed due to military maneuvers) went up the east side of Crystal Lake before turning west through the Airpark. Unfortunately I'm not aware of a route to get to Treat Rd. w/o crossing Airpark property and therefore trespassing.

I can't promise anything but you may be able to head down Treat Rd and see if they'll let you through the gate. It should be manned on the weekend because there's a boat ramp that's open to the public. Explain that you're hiking to Gold Head and you want to catch the Florida Trail off Treat Rd to hike the Blanding section.

I'm not familiar with the section west of 100. There's a private road right next to the trailhead at 100, though. We park there when doing maintenance. It might be an option for you.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 01-15-2014 at 11:04.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

++ New Posts ++