WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I hiked the AT with a Six Moon Designs Starlyte pack. About 500 miles in, one of the load lifter straps was coming loose as the seam was unraveling. I contacted SMD to discuss the issue, they sent me a loaner ahead on the trail. I sent my pack back and hiked on with the loaner, then they sent my repaired and reinforced pack ahead to me on the trail and I sent the loaner back. They paid postage for shipment to me. I paid return postage. I didn't miss a moment on the trail and my pack was repaired better than new.

Cascade Designs replaced a couple of failed NeoAirs. 2009 was the first year of the NeoAir and they had a tendency to delaminate and baloon and also to develop leaks prematurely.

Leki replaced a failed pole section after nearly 2000 miles. The outfitter in Hot Springs had free pole sections provided by Leki for this purpose.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Kelty - We bought two of our friends a very heavy duty Kelty backpack style child carrier as a baby shower gift years ago. They are a very active couple and actually used it until some of the load bearing webbing straps wore out. The husband called the company to ask about gettting it repaired and got a response along the lines of "They're not supposed to be able to wear out, send it back and we'll take a look" he expected to get it returned with new webbing and receive a repair bill, instead they sent him a new carrier and a note saying it was covered by the warranty. (Guess what brand of carrier they recommend to everyone now?)

Not that I would use it on a thru hike or in any way consider it to be lightweight gear, but I believe that two things would survive a nuclear holocaust unscathed ... cockroaches and Kelty backpacks.

Images

Chaco has a program to re-sole their sandals for around $40 when the soles wear out. I sent mine in to be resoled and provided credit card details for them to charge me. They replaced the soles, called it a warranty repair ... about six years after the initial purchase ... and returned the resoled sandals to me at no charge.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Most companies are hiker friendly. Just say "please", don't demand and ask instead and you'll be amazed at the customer service.

A Gregory pack I used for climbing had a metal rod poking through the bottom near the hip belt. I wrote them, sent it back, they repaired it and did not charge me a dime.
    (And this was a freebie pack to boot!)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy44 View Post
    Please don't post in my thread anymore dogwood, you are coming across arrogant and off topic "Some BIG BOY talk is included in this post" <---- this is just cyber bullying

Hi Happy,

THat really is not bullying. Stating opinions strongly is not a bad thing. You may disagree with them..but bullying??? I really don't see anything in there that is aimed at you personally.

You can always just ignore it, too.

Last edited by Mags; 01-08-2014 at 09:49.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++